Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
Chris H.
post Nov 19 2014, 08:17 AM
Post #381

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah it still works, but very close quarters. I actually changed mine because the exhaust setup I had didn't work with the cradle style mount. The EG shorty manifolds I got from Bob interfered with the cross-braces so I cut them and planned to relocate them, but it still hit the rear mounts a bit. With this particular engine it's just easier to use a mount similar to amenson's. Literally a couple of pieces of very strong iron bolted and welded to an early mount up front and some trans hangers out back.

Not knocking Ian's cradle at all BTW, it's very high quality at half the cost of other ones out there. Very hard to design one that fits every single engine Subaru makes. It should fit every other motor quite well.

Based on the ad (or what I remember of it...) that's a good engine you have Scotty and should last a long time. I'd stick with it. You'll love the power and sound. Use a long magnaflow muffler turned sideways like speed metal army's or 911 exhaust and it'll sound pretty 911ish. Same firing order and everything. Once you're ready to get it going I'll be glad to talk to you about the process and what I messed up along the way so you can avoid the same issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ... Anyone attempting an EG33 can ping me really.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 19 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #382

Here's the BIGKAT mount when it arrived this summer:

Attached Image

The trans hangers are attached for shipping but you should be able to get the idea for now. Is that easy (looking) or what? The geometry will take some thought but there are reference points at the holes on the mount I can measure. Pretty much just need to get it level and straight side to side. If you're not a welder it would be worth paying someone to do the final welds. Only hits two of the three engine mount holes but keep in mind you really only use one bolt per side when using stock mounts (which are not used in this scenario). Plenty strong and you have more room for exhaust options.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 19 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #383

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

If I only had the money$$$$ I'd pay this guy to build a mount and headers.
By far the best out there.

Precision Chassis Works..
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 19 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #384

Yeah that is a tasty setup Bob. I look at that thing all the time now that you pointed it out. Boxster 5 speed trans? Love how they pushed the exhaust forward and then back.

Sounds pretty good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_vWc87e1c

Were those magnaflow mufflers or some exotic expensive things?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 24 2014, 02:30 PM
Post #385

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Attached Image

Looks like Magnaflow rounds to me, and Burns SS pieces where use to fab the collectors. Pretty easy when you get right down to it. Easy of me to say, now me getting it done, thats another matter. Oh Santa, please bring me a plasma Cutter and Tig Welder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 25 2014, 07:46 AM
Post #386

Pretty easy when you get right down to it. Easy of me to say, now me getting it done, thats another matter. Oh Santa, please bring me a plasma Cutter and Tig Welder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

EASY? If that's easy for you Stephen I can't wait for your build thread!

FYI all I MIGHT be getting a close look at Bob's car in a few weeks. I'll post videos and pics if so. It'll be great to see a really nice well-known car that's done, sorted, and has some miles on it. I might even DRIVE it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) . He's just about got the LS car done too. Here's a couple of pics I snagged from his blog:

Attached Image

Attached Image

How 'bout that paint?
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 26 2014, 08:30 AM
Post #387

2 more Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 26 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #388

Bob,

That thing looks amazing. So it's an LS Corvette engine mated to a Boxster trans... Can't wait to see it in person.

Those two teeners look like caged animals behind the fence (other one is a V8 conversion too) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 26 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #389

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

NICE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 20 2015, 06:27 AM
Post #390

Chris, Uh yeah, we will see if my skills keep up with my mind. Luckily I have a pro welder that can do some work for me. Welds tanks all night for his job. Guy lays perfect dimes. So when are you going to see Bob's cars? Man we all need detailed shots of those cars. I think Bob has the marketing savvy of Hugh Hefner. Just give us enough of a picture that we want to see more and more. I would love for him to write up detailed threads of the builds, I know they guy is supper busy, and you have to respect the fact, his cars get done.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 20 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #391

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Dang. Saw this pop up and thought you had begun work on your car again. Obviously, there are no Eskimo's or none of Admiral Byrd's DNA in your clan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) . I guess it will be March before you get back into it again? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jan 20 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #392

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 20 2015, 07:27 AM) *

Chris, Uh yeah, we will see if my skills keep up with my mind. Luckily I have a pro welder that can do some work for me. Welds tanks all night for his job. Guy lays perfect dimes. So when are you going to see Bob's cars? Man we all need detailed shots of those cars. I think Bob has the marketing savvy of Hugh Hefner. Just give us enough of a picture that we want to see more and more. I would love for him to write up detailed threads of the builds, I know they guy is supper busy, and you have to respect the fact, his cars get done.

I have been working in Toledo off and on for the last 2 couple of months. I drive down I-75 thru Dayton.
I've been thinking about giving you a call and stop by and check out your car.

Talk about being all over the place I'm working in Chile now. They run the DAKAR rally in South America now and it came within 6 miles of where I'm working. Got to see some of the trucks and bikes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 20 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #393

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Chile? Cool. You at least come and go through Santiago, I'm sure. You know that huge TV/Radio tower downtown that you can see from everywhere? I've been to the top of it.

Oops. Hijack, sorry, I won't do that again.

+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jan 20 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #394

Spent last weekend in Santiago.............Damn nice place(where I was at) Saw a few new Porsches.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)I
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 20 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #395

Yeah I really need to update the thread on my trip to Bob's. Unfortunately there are no pics. It was a really weird, very cold, frozen-fog-in-the-air kind of day so pics were darn near impossible. I was able to spend a couple of hours there and will be going back soon to get some parts.

First, DB, no need to worry about hijacking. The thread is for interesting comments at this point, random or not!

So about the cars...

The blue EZ30 car is a “finished” conversion. It was cold when I got there, he cranked it up and then we looked around his shop for about 20 minutes. The thing just sat there idling, never even heated up all the way. You could hardly hear it running. We took it out and drove it for quite a while “spiritedly” (not crazy). It never got above 180 degrees and the needle didn't move at all, just like a stock Subie. Seemed like you could cruise along all day in it. Just felt solid. The exhaust system has an extra center muffler in it (look in his blog) which makes it sound really nice. Porsche-ish. It has power windows also. His shifter is like butter, a little longer throw than the MR2 and you hardly have to touch it to move it. Might have to reattach my extension. Also noticed than my shifter needs adjustment. 1st and 2nd gears are way too far left on mine. The suspension was tight too. I think it's all 911. It's a NICE driver, not a show car, and man does it run, stop, and turn well.

Bob's selling it for what sounded like a very fair price, so if anyone is thinking about a conversion but hasn't done much yet, you should take a look at this car. Skip the headaches. If I hadn't owned my car for 13 years I'd be all over it.

He also has an EZ30R engine and a trans already set up with a locking spool he's about to sell. The EZ30R is rated at 250hp. If anyone wants a cool engine for a conversion jump on it before he puts it on NASIOC.

The gray LS car is going to be a show quality car. He was working on getting the trans connected to the engine properly when I saw it. The adapter plate wasn't cooperating but he'll figure it out. Anyway it has Wilwood brakes, needle bearing suspension, Fikse wheels, the paint is very nice, he has deleted the vent grill up front and the fender seams, the hood will have a Mustang GT350 vent in it for radiator exhaust (looks really cool). The interior is super nice as well with all new inserts and seats. Looks like he used the Boxster center console too. The gauge console is all digital. There are a lot of cool little details; like he zinc plated the hood hinges, stuff like that. The suspension is set up to handle the engine power, which is key. Should be a very well balanced beast. And it WILL be a beast.

Did you get that Camaro yet Bob? Let's see that thing.

And Hi Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) . It warmed up a little around here. I'm hoping to get that new radiator fan switch installed this weekend if I can stand it in the garage. Also got new fans for my rad. The SVX ones pull air in weird directions. Picked up the ones for the Celica GTS rad.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 20 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #396

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 20 2015, 11:34 AM) *
... You know that huge TV/Radio tower downtown that you can see from everywhere? I've been to thetop of it. ...

Now I understand what prompted you to parachute out of the back of that 727 over Oregon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 20 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #397

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah. About that. I just want to point out that all the speculation was correct and I didn't survive the fall, I swear. Plus the statue of limitations has expired. Long, long expired.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 29 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #398

Chris, I have been working on my car, its just been under cover like the Manhattan Project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Pondering engine and transmission mounting currently. Had a design i my head, bringing the engine and trans under the car just did not make it work for me. So back to the drawing board.

And I still have not brought myself to cut the car, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I have a cut it up before not thinking about the future value, when the cars where cheap it was easy. Need a huge front sway bar, put it in. Build the mounts weld it up. Need to stiffen the frame, weld the parts in. So why ca't I cut a trunk, or an engine shelf. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

To that end I did flip the manifold which brings up a huge set of other issues, but it does fit better.

Attached Image

Not sure if I am going to do it this way or not.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 29 2015, 09:05 AM
Post #399

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Steve, if you have a chance; weigh the complete drive train. I'd like to know the difference.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 29 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #400

Stephen,

Interesting...I'm seriously thinking about flipping mine and welding up the hole I cut for the intake. How hard was it? I hate that hole too!

EDIT: and did you flip JUST the top portion of the intake or both sections (it has 2 pieces)?
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:56 AM