Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
Chris H.
post Jan 25 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sorry guys I was out for a couple of days...

wingnut - It's a 95....could be the EGR...

Scotty - That's a very good question...I think it will fit but we'll find out very soon. The stock breather box adds a couple of inches to the end of the intake and then exits to the left passenger side like this:

Attached Image

Sorry for the grainy photo. Let me know if you need any measurements when you start your install. I'll keep you posted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jan 25 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Its the Idle Air Control valve.... You need this if your running the stock ECU.

Bob
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 25 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #43

Well there you go...that thing is not going anywhere! In my mind it seems like the alternator should move to where the power steering pump is so that the stock serpentine belt could be used and it's more balanced. Just need to fab a strong bracket.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 25 2013, 01:59 PM
Post #44

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Just stay 3 month's ahead of me so I don't have to do any thinking, Chris. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 26 2013, 09:45 AM
Post #45

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Sorry for the highjack, but it is somewhat related. Do you guys think a GT front valance, with a coulpe of moderate sized cutouts on the front panel ( I'm thinking about cutting the three center factory holes to one large oval hole, and two additional cutouts on either side of the trunk latch ) combined with a puller fan and shroud like Ruby914 made, would cool well enough in the worst of conditions ( idling in town in 95* temps )? My intent is to make this as stock looking as possible. Kind of like Porsche " could have done "

We really need a Sooby forum here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 26 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #46

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

That's what BIGKAT did (with just the GT opening), and it apparently worked well:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-194-1340590465.jpg)

My radiator opening is just a few square inches larger than what I measure the GT opening to be:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2618-1269561145.1.jpg)

I only have a 2.0 liter turbo in mine, with the Renegade radiator, and it's never been hot in summertime south Texas or the California desert. The fans have come on when I've been thrashing it and then pull into stop and go traffic, but the needle's never moved. Air for both the radiator and intercooler go through that opening.

That radiator opening was cut into a painted bumper to test the size hole I'd need. I cut it small and was going to keep opening it up till it was large enough to cool well, but that's still the original "small" hole because I never had to enlarge it. I just bought a narrow body GT valance and now I'll cut the chrome bumper to match the GT valance, knowing that opening will be large enough. I believe BIGKAT had a big 3.3 liter six in his, so should work for that motor as well. I don't know this for a fact and it seems counter-intuitive, but I think radiator capacity and the air exits from the trunk are more critical than the size of the inlet.

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 26 2013, 07:45 AM) *

We really need a Sooby forum here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yup, sure do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) I always feel like I'm offending purists. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 26 2013, 02:32 PM
Post #47

BIGKAT and I were talking radiators last week. Since the stock rad in my car is new I am thinking of doing it PJHAUN style (Brad Mayeur did it as well in his V8 car). In through the front, out the bottom of the car. The stock rad is pretty big, really too big for most temps in this setup. Just hate cutting the fender wells. If I had the skills I would do what Ruby did and then I could live with the cutting.

The inlet only needs to be 1/2 the size of the outlet(s) so your plan should work Scotty. Check out SpeedMetalArmy's. He just has a few holes in the bumper for his LS1.

Hijack any time guys. Seriously...I learn more from every one of them.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 26 2013, 03:51 PM
Post #48

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

The wheel well cutting is definitely an area to be concerned about. One thing I plan to do that I have yet to see someone do, is cut a clean hole the same size as the duct running to it, then reinforce the perimiter by welding on a piece of 1" wide 16 gauge. I have also considerd cutting the hole, then making a patch panel to fit back in that had been punched with louvers, giving a nice finished look instead of a big hole, but I'm worried the louvers would block/disrupt the flow to much to be effective (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 26 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #49

Give it a go. I think that area works because it's low pressure, and if that's so it should suck hot air out through louvers, lots of small holes (like mine), or one big one.

My outlet, done with a template (so both sides are identical) and a hole saw, so it still retains some strength. I don't drive it in the rain (California) so it works for me.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i379.photobucket.com-2618-1359240141.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 26 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #50

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would like to make a two radiator system like the 911s. If there was a way to intake behind the doors and exhaust some place aft of that in a way that keeps the looks and functionality, then I would be all over that.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 26 2013, 05:30 PM
Post #51

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 26 2013, 03:03 PM) *

I would like to make a two radiator system like the 911s. If there was a way to intake behind the doors and exhaust some place aft of that in a way that keeps the looks and functionality, then I would be all over that.

Porsche uses both a 2 and 3 radiator setup but it's not in the engine compartment. it's in the front bumper and exits air into the fender wells. Not unlike a water cooled 914.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
a914622
post Jan 27 2013, 12:28 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes the intake can be flipped around, but the injector wiring needs to stay the same. Thats what im working on now. I think a thin toyota or mazda alt will do the trick in place of the power steering pump. Still working on it. The coolant hoses to the throtle body need to be in place for proper cold start.

I am going to try to use the stock intake hoses out to the air sensor. I have seen the 2.2 of the same year react to the shortening the intakes on the vanagons. But i was just reading about the hack for the ecus so injector timing could be shortened if needed.

Iv eyeballed the 2 radiator idea but with out hacking up the front body lines i cant see it. FYI the audi 4000 radiator fits almost perfect in the front.

jcl
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 27 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #53

Thanks for the insight jcl... the alternator setup is going to be key...

Hey carrying over my hijack of strawman's thread (sorry man) ... been looking at stock Subie gauge clusters... does anyone know if the tach needs calibration like a 914's? How about compatibility?

The reason I ask is that the bone yards and e-bay show compatibility with either 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder cars. Example:

Legacy Cluster

Note how it says either 2.5L or 3.0L...Could be a mistake...

my ideal setup would be something like this:

2004 WRX

Or this:

05 STI

Just not sure if it would be possible without more $$$$ than the Speedhut setup.

Any insight would be appreciated.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 27 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #54

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Chris, what's that cluster from the SVX look like. Any possibility of grafting that one in?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 27 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #55

SVX's are all automatics...the cluster is a little large and squareish..

Here it is:

Attached Image

I don't mind the gauges themselves too much but no need for the other stuff and the PRND321. Maybe I could Frankenstein these into a new cluster...I thought about transplanting the guts into the VDO's but they don't line up at all...

+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 27 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 27 2013, 09:06 AM) *

... been looking at stock Subie gauge clusters... does anyone know if the tach needs calibration like a 914's? How about compatibility?

IMHO, the easiest solution is to match the cluster's native number of cylinders with the sixer in your car. But I'm sure there's a way to use resistors, amps or clamps (or some other techie solution!) in-line between the ECU and Suby cluster if you choose to go with a WRX cluster. All of the Legacy gauges I looked at were too wide for my liking, but if you're gonna hack up the 914 dash anyway (like I did!), I guess it really doesn't matter.

904svo (Larry) is an electrical whiz and REALLY helped me build a converter to use the 914 tach. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I've still got the converter (see below) and could pass-it-forward if you can use it, though you'd need to convert it to work with the six-cylinder signal. PM me if you're interested (and be sure to thank Larry!).

Attached Image

You'd still be challenged with the speedo, since the Suby uses a VSS signal versus the cable-driven 914 speedo. I looked at using a VSS-based 911 speedo, but my cheap-ass couldn't stomach paying ~$100 for a questionable used one and prolly need to send it in for a $350 rebuild... most of the cheap ones are 85mph, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Keep up the great work!

Geoff
+Quote Post
904svo
post Jan 27 2013, 04:33 PM
Post #57

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

QUOTE(strawman @ Jan 27 2013, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 27 2013, 09:06 AM) *

... been looking at stock Subie gauge clusters... does anyone know if the tach needs calibration like a 914's? How about compatibility?

IMHO, the easiest solution is to match the cluster's native number of cylinders with the sixer in your car. But I'm sure there's a way to use resistors, amps or clamps (or some other techie solution!) in-line between the ECU and Suby cluster if you choose to go with a WRX cluster. All of the Legacy gauges I looked at were too wide for my liking, but if you're gonna hack up the 914 dash anyway (like I did!), I guess it really doesn't matter.

904svo (Larry) is an electrical whiz and REALLY helped me build a converter to use the 914 tach. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I've still got the converter (see below) and could pass-it-forward if you can use it, though you'd need to convert it to work with the six-cylinder signal. PM me if you're interested (and be sure to thank Larry!).

Attached Image

You'd still be challenged with the speedo, since the Suby uses a VSS signal versus the cable-driven 914 speedo. I looked at using a VSS-based 911 speedo, but my cheap-ass couldn't stomach paying ~$100 for a questionable used one and prolly need to send it in for a $350 rebuild... most of the cheap ones are 85mph, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Keep up the great work!

Geoff

That tach adapter will drive a 911 tach off a 6 cylinder engine also.
The trouble with using the Subaru Speedo is that it will only read the correct speed if you use the same tire size as the Subaru, also there is no way to fix it as it control by the speedo chip in the gauge panel.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 27 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #58

Thanks guys.... Geoff if I end up using the stock tach I will definitely let you know. Appreciate the offer. Larry, thanks for the info on the speedo... the stock wheel size for the SVX is 205/55/16. Have to check that against our wheel calculator.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 27 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 27 2013, 02:33 PM) *
The trouble with using the Subaru Speedo is that it will only read the correct speed if you use the same tire size as the Subaru, also there is no way to fix it as it control by the speedo chip in the gauge panel.

Guys on NASOIC have had success with the SpeedoHealer. Cost is about $120, but it can be used with any VSS-equipped motorcycle or automobile. I was planning on using one of these...
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 27 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #60

There's an aftermarket VDO electrical speedometer that works with the Subaru sender. it has an LCD odometer, but the size, color, bezel and fonts match the original 914 style. It was about $100. I have a photo somewhere if any interest.
+Quote Post

45 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:04 AM