Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 42 43 44 45 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
76-914
post Jun 25 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #861

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Chris, freessm is the program I mentioned in the pm. Check it out. Youtube has some videos it in use. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 26 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #862

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 25 2018, 04:33 PM) *

The SVX rad is actually quite a bit taller than the Alpine rad. The Alpine is only 10" tall, whereas the SVX is about 15" tall and not quite as wide.

Regarding the chip, it's actually an earlier version of the ECUTune chip. Same map and also allows you to use 87 octane if you want. There is a switch that you install that retards the timing a bit in 87 octane mode...so...I won't be using it unless I do a long road trip or something. I actually bought the ECU with the chip installed from a guy who did a bunch of Vanagon conversions. Really smoothed things out.

Great Tip on the Alpine RAD, Ebay also has one listed that is a 56mm core thickness instead of the 40mm in your listing. Just in case you need a bit more cooling, in close to the same size.

Glad to hear the ECU Tune chip does the trick, stage one tune. That is, watched the videos on the turbo build with the EG and all the stuff he went thru to get it to run correctly with an MS unit.

Love to see this project continue to evolve and become more refined.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
motoTrooper
post Jun 30 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #863

Member No.: 19,774

Thanks for sharing your experience so far with the chipped ECU, Chris. Nothing like hearing from actual users of a product.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 2 2018, 10:04 AM
Post #864

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

FYI I asked several vendors of the Renault A310 rad on e-bay what the widths of the two version were last week. Not all gave the same answer but based on the "most frequently used" measurements the 56mm thick version is allegedly 5mm wider than the 40mm (810 vs 805mm). Makes no sense but based on that it does not look like the 56mm version would fit vertically up against the front trunk without modifications. 5mm makes a pretty big difference this time. The 40mm version MIGHT fit but it's hard to tell without having it in hand. You could angle it forward and it would fit very low like an oil cooler under the headlight area (almost) for sure. And BTW I'm comparing/pondering all of this on a later 914. Pre-'75 you will have that semi-circle hoop up front to deal with.

I did some volume calculations of the rads (core length X core width X thickness)

Celica rad = 650
40mm A310 = 509
56mm A310 = 710

Baseline is the Celica which we know works very well. The 40mm is 22% smaller, the 56mm is 10% larger. Unfortunately the 56mm rad has shot up in price to ~$300 for the US import (the rest are straight from China). The 40mm is still $185.

Stephen I saw in another thread you might have one at your shipping depot. Let us know if you give it a try...

Probably should have kept the Celica rad and left it alone! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 2 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #865

I went with the A310 52mm RAD due to the fact I plan on adding some forced air to the mix at some point.

And well......

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 2 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #866

Even like that it is a bit tight on the sides, would make the mount easy enough, and does leave a bit more of the trunk as usable space. If I tilt it at a angle, might make it work, that being said a bit of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) will make it fit also. And we all know I am not afraid of any of those tools.

Large Power Sanders = Respect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 2 2018, 03:29 PM
Post #867

Wow you got one! Cool! How does it fit if you angle at about 45 degrees so it's right under the headlight boxes like this? See my crudely drawn lines in the pic below:

Attached Image

I vent out the bottom so it would be easy to build an oil cooler type shroud.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 2 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #868

Chris I took your idea and inverted it, but I think it will work, not optimal but should work.

From this angle it looks not that bad.

Attached Image

But from this one it is a bit worse.

Attached Image

It gets it down with a little bit of a hump and then you can put a cover over the rest. It would be the same height as the standard board over the spare tire. Front duct work would go right below the front latch. The one that will be hard for me is the condenser for the AC. Alpines come with A/C (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Build the ductwork and put a coke cooler in the front trunk. In reality I will most likely put a fiberglass tub up there, and toss a couple of water sealed bags for tool, and other 914 emergency items....
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 5 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #869

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

^looking at the radiator, any issue with finding fan(s) with a small enough diameter so they are not sticking out the top or bottom?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 10 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #870

10" fans use 3 for good measure
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 10 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #871

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 10 2018, 06:59 PM) *

That'll give it a unique look as well.... I like it.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 10 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #872

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

What about notching the headlight buckets?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 10 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #873

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 10 2018, 09:14 PM) *

What about notching the headlight buckets?

That just MIGHT work. Seemed like it was less than an inch too wide the way I measured it. If so you don't need much to get it to fit.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 11 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #874

I was planning on using a notch, but not the head light buckets. Where it sits now, should be good for my setup. I will be adding a notch in the support to allow the rad to slide down into it. A couple of U's with foam to support the rad and let it float separate from the chassis, and still be sealed. Another U up top to seal the deal, build the duct work front and rear and then a fan shroud and the rear ductwork. I will still have a bit of the Frunk to use.

My biggest challenge now is finding a A/c Condenser that fits. Have not found one for a Renault Alpine. So off to get one custom made, and well that will equal $$$, and once I started looking at dollars I looked at Restomod Air system, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) very bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) came about.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 11 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #875

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

With the Alpine radiator, could you not have someone notch the tanks or shorted the radiator at a local shop? We're just talking a half inch on both sides, right?

Also, what size are Boxster radiators? Or how bout MR2? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 26 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #876

Dang, I placed an order on Tuesday afternoon and got my 914rubber order TODAY already!

Check out my engine lid-to-body seal. It was so brittle it was breaking off in huge chunks.

Attached Image

And the new purty one:

Attached Image

Think maybe I needed new wiper caps?

Attached Image

The new ones are on the left...just FYI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Next I reinstall my rubber bumper tops with new rubber base spacer things. They should fit a lot better.

All this satisfaction for less than $40. You just can't beat it.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 26 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #877

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 10 2018, 06:59 PM) *

If its sealed, the fan(s) don't actually need to be attached to the rad. You can do 1 big fan in a hole in the floor for example, or make ducts like Kent did and put a fan on each exit.

Look into aftermarket "hotrod" condensers, they come in many sizes. They even make one that will fit under half the engine lid, though I would run 2 to be effective.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 26 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #878

I have not seen that A/C condenser in any of my hotrod air searches, so please do tell?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 26 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #879

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 26 2018, 03:36 PM) *

I have not seen that A/C condenser in any of my hotrod air searches, so please do tell?

Search "Universal AC Condenser". I think I figured out a 11"x20" would fit under the engine lid. Remove the rain pan and make a shroud so all the air has to pass thru it. Likely need 2 end to end with either Y fittings or parallel to cool well enough plus fans when your stopped. It was part of the brainstorming when I was designing the under cowl AC unit.
I have the parts to build a machine to do large enough vacuum forming for the shroud but it will be a while before I have the free time.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 26 2018, 10:18 PM
Post #880

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 11 2018, 08:45 AM) *

I was planning on using a notch, but not the head light buckets. Where it sits now, should be good for my setup. I will be adding a notch in the support to allow the rad to slide down into it. A couple of U's with foam to support the rad and let it float separate from the chassis, and still be sealed. Another U up top to seal the deal, build the duct work front and rear and then a fan shroud and the rear ductwork. I will still have a bit of the Frunk to use.

My biggest challenge now is finding a A/c Condenser that fits. Have not found one for a Renault Alpine. So off to get one custom made, and well that will equal $$$, and once I started looking at dollars I looked at Restomod Air system, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) very bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) came about.

Stephan, you get a universal one that is a close to the radiators size as possible. I say this to maximize airflow, not to improve AC cooling.They come with "L" brackets so you can hang them in front of your radiator. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 42 43 44 45 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:28 AM