Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thinking of buying a car with no title...., What do you do in California to get one?
dfelz
post Jan 1 2013, 12:08 AM
Post #1

beach bum

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,538
Region Association: Southern California

There is a guy in san luis obispo, CA selling a 914 he has sitting in his field. He got the car to build as a race car so he didnt care about not having a title with the car, but he is working on his 911 project instead so he is selling this roller. I dont have much more info on previous life of car but will try and get as much as he knows when i talk to him next.

There is a VIN number that he will be getting to me in the next day or so, and I will then contact the DMV and see if there are any records for the car or what the current status is on paper.

Does anyone know how to go about acquiring a title for the car??

Thanks for the help! Happy new years!

David
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 1 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

If it's out of the system (most likely), You will need a statement of fact, bill of sale and a VIN inspection. Before it will be allowed on the road, you will need a brake and light inspection.

Pay some money and that should be it.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jan 1 2013, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

Be sure to get a signed bill of sale as well.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jan 1 2013, 03:31 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

If his name is Otto or Franz, stay away.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 1 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #5

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

And if the VIN ends in 004 stay away.
+Quote Post
Nine_14
post Jan 1 2013, 10:59 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,873
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(Scotti @ Jan 1 2013, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 1 2013, 10:18 AM) *

Just ask Brad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 1 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Scotti @ Jan 1 2013, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 1 2013, 10:18 AM) *

Just ask Brad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Don't worry about it... We don't talk about it anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Nine_14
post Jan 1 2013, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,873
Region Association: Germany

Have a question....

if you have an us salvage title, there is no chance to bring the car back on the road ?
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 1 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #9

beach bum

Ok awesome, so it sounds like its not an awful process that i should avoid at all costs. His name is Aaron, not Otto or Franz so thats good!

Now i have to find a flat bed to haul it back to my house!
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 1 2013, 05:08 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 1 2013, 02:53 PM) *

Ok awesome, so it sounds like its not an awful process that i should avoid at all costs. His name is Aaron, not Otto or Franz so thats good!

If its the car that's been listed on CL for a month or so, it looks pretty rusty and picked-over. The rust is especially bad in the windshield/cowl area, and that area is a pain in the ass to fix (ask me how I know!).

As a fellow Californian who "saved" a rusty basket-case 914 over four years ago, I would suggest you get a more complete and cleaner car for a starter, and then look for these "bargains" for parts afterward.

Your mileage may vary...
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Jan 1 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,411
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You live in Southern California.... do your homework and find a car that you can afford with a Title.

Pretty sure that's the opinion of most people on this site - and I'll bet a few of them could help find the car for you.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 1 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #12

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 09:33 AM) *

Have a question....

if you have an us salvage title, there is no chance to bring the car back on the road ?

No, in fact the salvage title means you can bring it back in the road. In some States it might mean it needs an inspection of some sort but it can be done pretty easily. California requires a CHP inspection (to determine the car was not put back together with stolen parts) and a Brake and Light Inspection (to determine that all brake and lighting components of the car are operational.

In my mind, none of this is as stringent as your German routine inspection laws.

Also, in the case of a Bumblebee six conversion I sold to a guy in Norway, it lost the 'salvage' designation on his end.
+Quote Post
tadink
post Jan 1 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,181

hey all -

working thru this issue real time as well - BOS only, no history on the car, out of state AZ was the last reg. DMV saw many red flags....

the DMV has asked for a 'bond' from my insurance company - don't know what that entails since we are early in the journey....I'll keep you posted.

it is not a 'simple' process - and not sure if there is a g'tee of a good outcome. It would be easier to buy a car with a title I think.

good luck

td
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 1 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #14

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 12:33 PM) *

Have a question....

My 914 has a salvage title. So here in PA, I had to provide several pictures of the car (with windows rolled up); side views, front, rear views; as well as a reason for the salvage (insurance company totalled it).

Then get the car inspected. There was a several page questionaire that the inspection station had to fill out. Send to state capitol and received OK within a week.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 1 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #15

beach bum

QUOTE(strawman @ Jan 1 2013, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 1 2013, 02:53 PM) *

If its the car that's been listed on CL for a month or so, it looks pretty rusty and picked-over. The rust is especially bad in the windshield/cowl area, and that area is a pain in the ass to fix (ask me how I know!).

As a fellow Californian who "saved" a rusty basket-case 914 over four years ago, I would suggest you get a more complete and cleaner car for a starter, and then look for these "bargains" for parts afterward.

Your mileage may vary...

Yes that is the car! I did see the rust in the windshield area but from the picture at least, it didnt look too bad... But the other rust spots, the fender corners i was not concerned about.
The thing is, I have a 914 in my garage right now that has WAY more rust than i thought when i bout the car. In my opinion it is almost beyond repair unless done by a really good professional and would run at least 2k in just sheet metal pieces from Restoration Design. It really sucks and i have been looking for a new shell for some time now. Although this one looks picked over, i have all the parts need to build a 'complete' car, its going to be a weekend/AX car so i dont need all the trim/carpet pieces and such.

I did look through your rust-oration thread last night actually, you did some amazing work.

My bigest issue at the moment is that I am almost out of money for the project. I am in college full time and am not working, so most of the rollers for sale in california are out of my budget....

In your opinion, if the rust in the cowl isnt that bad, do you think the $200 plus transportation costs will be worth it for me. (i have a mig welder so i can do some rustoration)

Thanks
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Jan 1 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,411
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Save your money for the right car!! I bought a roller in California for $2k and put all of my rusty car's mechanicals in it.

That $200 you spend will get you another POS that you're upset with.

Patience... you must have patience....
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 1 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #17

beach bum

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jan 1 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Save your money for the right car!! I bought a roller in California for $2k and put all of my rusty car's mechanicals in it.

That $200 you spend will get you another POS that you're upset with.

Patience... you must have patience....

Definitely a good point, and I for sure dont want another POS at my house, and neither do my roommates! But I really feel this one has the potential; structurally the car is in good condition, says the owner.

I will be doing just what you did, taking all the mechanicals from my current rust bucket and transfer them to a structurally sound roller, but a 2K roller is way out of my budget unfortunately, which means the new roller will need some TLC...

I should have done this from the get go, but here is the CL add so all of you can take a look at the condition and give your opinions. (you guys are probably thinking that I'm already pretty set on getting it, but i really do value your opinions)

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3455487852.html

Thanks for the help
+Quote Post
SchantzMD
post Jan 1 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,233

Hi David,

I've been through this in CA more times than I'd like to admit and the process isn't bad, but there is a procedure that you have to go through.

First, do a VIN check to see if there is any history or back fees on the car, if it's been sitting for a while expect the DMV to show nothing, also note that if back fees are owed and the vehicle is about to be dropped from the system performing a VIN inquiry can reinstate the VIN. Next ask the owner what they know/how they got the car, if the story makes sense then don't worry about it, and if something sounds fishy then run the other way,...fast!
If the story and history check out print out a CA REG135 and take it with you when you pick up the car, be sure to print out a Statement of Facts and an Application for Registration from the CA DMV site too.
Finally don't expect to be able to do anything until the car is complete. In my experience, the DMV, AAA, CHP, or a 3rd party VIN verifier WILL NOT complete a VIN verification until the car is complete, which means that you cannot obtain a title until the vehicle is fully assembled. This could really bite you in the butt if there's a lien holder or theft record so you want to be 100% sure everything is Kosher before you put a $1 into the thing. Also enforcement agencies usually want to see 2 VIN plates on the vehicle along with the engine emission label so expect some questions if any of those are missing.
Overall the process isn't bad but you need to know what to have and what to say so you don't get hassled.

Good luck,
Mike

P.S. If the vehicle history shows a Salvage record then a Brake and Light inspection will be needed too, which will run about $50-$80.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 1 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #19

beach bum

QUOTE(SchantzMD @ Jan 1 2013, 07:55 PM) *

Hi David,

I've been through this in CA more times than I'd like to admit and the process isn't bad, but there is a procedure that you have to go through.

First, do a VIN check to see if there is any history or back fees on the car, if it's been sitting for a while expect the DMV to show nothing, also note that if back fees are owed and the vehicle is about to be dropped from the system performing a VIN inquiry can reinstate the VIN. Next ask the owner what they know/how they got the car, if the story makes sense then don't worry about it, and if something sounds fishy then run the other way,...fast!
If the story and history check out print out a CA REG135 and take it with you when you pick up the car, be sure to print out a Statement of Facts and an Application for Registration from the CA DMV site too.
Finally don't expect to be able to do anything until the car is complete. In my experience, the DMV, AAA, CHP, or a 3rd party VIN verifier WILL NOT complete a VIN verification until the car is complete, which means that you cannot obtain a title until the vehicle is fully assembled. This could really bite you in the butt if there's a lien holder or theft record so you want to be 100% sure everything is Kosher before you put a $1 into the thing. Also enforcement agencies usually want to see 2 VIN plates on the vehicle along with the engine emission label so expect some questions if any of those are missing.
Overall the process isn't bad but you need to know what to have and what to say so you don't get hassled.

Good luck,
Mike

P.S. If the vehicle history shows a Salvage record then a Brake and Light inspection will be needed too, which will run about $50-$80.

Thanks Mike, that was very informative and detailed, much appreciated!
+Quote Post
SchantzMD
post Jan 2 2013, 01:23 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,233

No problem, good luck on your hunt!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:55 PM