Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of buying a car with no title....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
There is a guy in san luis obispo, CA selling a 914 he has sitting in his field. He got the car to build as a race car so he didnt care about not having a title with the car, but he is working on his 911 project instead so he is selling this roller. I dont have much more info on previous life of car but will try and get as much as he knows when i talk to him next.

There is a VIN number that he will be getting to me in the next day or so, and I will then contact the DMV and see if there are any records for the car or what the current status is on paper.

Does anyone know how to go about acquiring a title for the car??

Thanks for the help! Happy new years!

David
Mike Bellis
If it's out of the system (most likely), You will need a statement of fact, bill of sale and a VIN inspection. Before it will be allowed on the road, you will need a brake and light inspection.

Pay some money and that should be it.
infraredcalvin
Be sure to get a signed bill of sale as well.
sww914
If his name is Otto or Franz, stay away.
DBCooper
And if the VIN ends in 004 stay away.
Nine_14
QUOTE(Scotti @ Jan 1 2013, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 1 2013, 10:18 AM) *

Just ask Brad av-943.gif

??? idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Scotti @ Jan 1 2013, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 1 2013, 10:18 AM) *

Just ask Brad av-943.gif

??? idea.gif

Don't worry about it... We don't talk about it anymore. biggrin.gif
Nine_14
Have a question....

if you have an us salvage title, there is no chance to bring the car back on the road ?
dfelz
Ok awesome, so it sounds like its not an awful process that i should avoid at all costs. His name is Aaron, not Otto or Franz so thats good!

Now i have to find a flat bed to haul it back to my house!
strawman
QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 1 2013, 02:53 PM) *

Ok awesome, so it sounds like its not an awful process that i should avoid at all costs. His name is Aaron, not Otto or Franz so thats good!

If its the car that's been listed on CL for a month or so, it looks pretty rusty and picked-over. The rust is especially bad in the windshield/cowl area, and that area is a pain in the ass to fix (ask me how I know!).

As a fellow Californian who "saved" a rusty basket-case 914 over four years ago, I would suggest you get a more complete and cleaner car for a starter, and then look for these "bargains" for parts afterward.

Your mileage may vary...
sfrenck
You live in Southern California.... do your homework and find a car that you can afford with a Title.

Pretty sure that's the opinion of most people on this site - and I'll bet a few of them could help find the car for you.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 09:33 AM) *

Have a question....

if you have an us salvage title, there is no chance to bring the car back on the road ?

No, in fact the salvage title means you can bring it back in the road. In some States it might mean it needs an inspection of some sort but it can be done pretty easily. California requires a CHP inspection (to determine the car was not put back together with stolen parts) and a Brake and Light Inspection (to determine that all brake and lighting components of the car are operational.

In my mind, none of this is as stringent as your German routine inspection laws.

Also, in the case of a Bumblebee six conversion I sold to a guy in Norway, it lost the 'salvage' designation on his end.
tadink
hey all -

working thru this issue real time as well - BOS only, no history on the car, out of state AZ was the last reg. DMV saw many red flags....

the DMV has asked for a 'bond' from my insurance company - don't know what that entails since we are early in the journey....I'll keep you posted.

it is not a 'simple' process - and not sure if there is a g'tee of a good outcome. It would be easier to buy a car with a title I think.

good luck

td
Spoke
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 12:33 PM) *

Have a question....

My 914 has a salvage title. So here in PA, I had to provide several pictures of the car (with windows rolled up); side views, front, rear views; as well as a reason for the salvage (insurance company totalled it).

Then get the car inspected. There was a several page questionaire that the inspection station had to fill out. Send to state capitol and received OK within a week.
dfelz
QUOTE(strawman @ Jan 1 2013, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 1 2013, 02:53 PM) *

If its the car that's been listed on CL for a month or so, it looks pretty rusty and picked-over. The rust is especially bad in the windshield/cowl area, and that area is a pain in the ass to fix (ask me how I know!).

As a fellow Californian who "saved" a rusty basket-case 914 over four years ago, I would suggest you get a more complete and cleaner car for a starter, and then look for these "bargains" for parts afterward.

Your mileage may vary...

Yes that is the car! I did see the rust in the windshield area but from the picture at least, it didnt look too bad... But the other rust spots, the fender corners i was not concerned about.
The thing is, I have a 914 in my garage right now that has WAY more rust than i thought when i bout the car. In my opinion it is almost beyond repair unless done by a really good professional and would run at least 2k in just sheet metal pieces from Restoration Design. It really sucks and i have been looking for a new shell for some time now. Although this one looks picked over, i have all the parts need to build a 'complete' car, its going to be a weekend/AX car so i dont need all the trim/carpet pieces and such.

I did look through your rust-oration thread last night actually, you did some amazing work.

My bigest issue at the moment is that I am almost out of money for the project. I am in college full time and am not working, so most of the rollers for sale in california are out of my budget....

In your opinion, if the rust in the cowl isnt that bad, do you think the $200 plus transportation costs will be worth it for me. (i have a mig welder so i can do some rustoration)

Thanks
sfrenck
Save your money for the right car!! I bought a roller in California for $2k and put all of my rusty car's mechanicals in it.

That $200 you spend will get you another POS that you're upset with.

Patience... you must have patience....
dfelz
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jan 1 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Save your money for the right car!! I bought a roller in California for $2k and put all of my rusty car's mechanicals in it.

That $200 you spend will get you another POS that you're upset with.

Patience... you must have patience....

Definitely a good point, and I for sure dont want another POS at my house, and neither do my roommates! But I really feel this one has the potential; structurally the car is in good condition, says the owner.

I will be doing just what you did, taking all the mechanicals from my current rust bucket and transfer them to a structurally sound roller, but a 2K roller is way out of my budget unfortunately, which means the new roller will need some TLC...

I should have done this from the get go, but here is the CL add so all of you can take a look at the condition and give your opinions. (you guys are probably thinking that I'm already pretty set on getting it, but i really do value your opinions)

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3455487852.html

Thanks for the help
SchantzMD
Hi David,

I've been through this in CA more times than I'd like to admit and the process isn't bad, but there is a procedure that you have to go through.

First, do a VIN check to see if there is any history or back fees on the car, if it's been sitting for a while expect the DMV to show nothing, also note that if back fees are owed and the vehicle is about to be dropped from the system performing a VIN inquiry can reinstate the VIN. Next ask the owner what they know/how they got the car, if the story makes sense then don't worry about it, and if something sounds fishy then run the other way,...fast!
If the story and history check out print out a CA REG135 and take it with you when you pick up the car, be sure to print out a Statement of Facts and an Application for Registration from the CA DMV site too.
Finally don't expect to be able to do anything until the car is complete. In my experience, the DMV, AAA, CHP, or a 3rd party VIN verifier WILL NOT complete a VIN verification until the car is complete, which means that you cannot obtain a title until the vehicle is fully assembled. This could really bite you in the butt if there's a lien holder or theft record so you want to be 100% sure everything is Kosher before you put a $1 into the thing. Also enforcement agencies usually want to see 2 VIN plates on the vehicle along with the engine emission label so expect some questions if any of those are missing.
Overall the process isn't bad but you need to know what to have and what to say so you don't get hassled.

Good luck,
Mike

P.S. If the vehicle history shows a Salvage record then a Brake and Light inspection will be needed too, which will run about $50-$80.
dfelz
QUOTE(SchantzMD @ Jan 1 2013, 07:55 PM) *

Hi David,

I've been through this in CA more times than I'd like to admit and the process isn't bad, but there is a procedure that you have to go through.

First, do a VIN check to see if there is any history or back fees on the car, if it's been sitting for a while expect the DMV to show nothing, also note that if back fees are owed and the vehicle is about to be dropped from the system performing a VIN inquiry can reinstate the VIN. Next ask the owner what they know/how they got the car, if the story makes sense then don't worry about it, and if something sounds fishy then run the other way,...fast!
If the story and history check out print out a CA REG135 and take it with you when you pick up the car, be sure to print out a Statement of Facts and an Application for Registration from the CA DMV site too.
Finally don't expect to be able to do anything until the car is complete. In my experience, the DMV, AAA, CHP, or a 3rd party VIN verifier WILL NOT complete a VIN verification until the car is complete, which means that you cannot obtain a title until the vehicle is fully assembled. This could really bite you in the butt if there's a lien holder or theft record so you want to be 100% sure everything is Kosher before you put a $1 into the thing. Also enforcement agencies usually want to see 2 VIN plates on the vehicle along with the engine emission label so expect some questions if any of those are missing.
Overall the process isn't bad but you need to know what to have and what to say so you don't get hassled.

Good luck,
Mike

P.S. If the vehicle history shows a Salvage record then a Brake and Light inspection will be needed too, which will run about $50-$80.

Thanks Mike, that was very informative and detailed, much appreciated!
SchantzMD
No problem, good luck on your hunt!
Nine_14
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 2 2013, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 09:33 AM) *

Have a question....

No, in fact the salvage title means you can bring it back in the road. In some States it might mean it needs an inspection of some sort but it can be done pretty easily. California requires a CHP inspection (to determine the car was not put back together with stolen parts) and a Brake and Light Inspection (to determine that all brake and lighting components of the car are operational.

In my mind, none of this is as stringent as your German routine inspection laws.

Also, in the case of a Bumblebee six conversion I sold to a guy in Norway, it lost the 'salvage' designation on his end.

Thank's for your help.
Yes, german routine inspection laws are really stringend, actually the rules have changed to become more stringent. During inspection the fault memory will be read out. If any error is stored, no plate, you will be send to the workshop.
Hard stuff for many people without any technical background and mechanical skills.
Cap'n Krusty
I can look at it for/with you if that'll help. Might cost you lunch ......................

The Cap'n
r_towle
For Germany, get a number matching (engine number match) car with a COA.
It will make your life easier each inspection.

I would not suggest you buy a savlage title car and try to import it unless you know someone who has done this in your country....

I had a heck of a time registering my BMW motorcycle in Germany...
Go figure, cause it was made about 20 minutes from my house.

Rich
Nine_14
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 2 2013, 10:18 PM) *

I can look at it for/with you if that'll help. Might cost you lunch ......................

The Cap'n

I have both, plus an OBD Reader, but thanks for your offer Cap'n,
prepare for a long ride when i am calling for you biggrin.gif
Welcome to germany. (Having lunch together )
beerchug.gif
Nine_14
Last times i invested my mechanical skills in machines like that.

Nine_14
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 2 2013, 10:24 PM) *

For Germany, get a number matching (engine number match) car with a COA.
It will make your life easier each inspection.

I would not suggest you buy a savlage title car and try to import it unless you know someone who has done this in your country....

I had a heck of a time registering my BMW motorcycle in Germany...
Go figure, cause it was made about 20 minutes from my house.

Rich

I don't wanna buy an us salvage car, but trying to learn a little bit more every day.
That's why i am asking for.
Hanging around here needs a little bit of knowlede of us rules and regulations, and sometimes a little help from friendly members here at 914world.

thx

beerchug.gif

larryM
X2 all below - it is actually fairly easy if the car is "out of the computer system"

in my last few sojourns on various makes resurrections I have never had a problem with 3rd party verifiers insisting on "completed" cars

- maybe CHP does, but i'd stay as far away from a CHP verification as possible cuz they will begin by assuming it is a stolen vehicle

there is at least one 3rd party verifier who does ALL THE WORK for you (from Nevada City) - Donna Leak - she is a former DMV person who will do everything you need to get a Title & Plates

- she advertises in various car publications - buy a copy of Cruisin' News to see her ad - cost me $300 plus DMV fees to have her do a '67 Sprite for me last year

I also have used a retired CHP verifier from Placerville - never any problem with the verification, but more of that "stolen car" suspicious mindset

if you are talking about resurrecting a car that is still "in the DMV computer" - you will have to pay all the back fees & penalties - but no Brake-Lamp-SMOG - i did that with a '75 911 not long ago

on a salvaged-title car you will have to do the Brake & Lamp (& SMOG if newer than '75 ) - in which case "completed" is a true factor since the Brake check requires the car to be driven

QUOTE(SchantzMD @ Jan 1 2013, 07:55 PM) *

Hi David,

Good luck,
Mike

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.