Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thinking of buying a car with no title...., What do you do in California to get one?
Nine_14
post Jan 2 2013, 10:23 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,873
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 2 2013, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 1 2013, 09:33 AM) *

Have a question....

if you have an us salvage title, there is no chance to bring the car back on the road ?

No, in fact the salvage title means you can bring it back in the road. In some States it might mean it needs an inspection of some sort but it can be done pretty easily. California requires a CHP inspection (to determine the car was not put back together with stolen parts) and a Brake and Light Inspection (to determine that all brake and lighting components of the car are operational.

In my mind, none of this is as stringent as your German routine inspection laws.

Also, in the case of a Bumblebee six conversion I sold to a guy in Norway, it lost the 'salvage' designation on his end.

Thank's for your help.
Yes, german routine inspection laws are really stringend, actually the rules have changed to become more stringent. During inspection the fault memory will be read out. If any error is stored, no plate, you will be send to the workshop.
Hard stuff for many people without any technical background and mechanical skills.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 2 2013, 03:18 PM
Post #22

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I can look at it for/with you if that'll help. Might cost you lunch ......................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 2 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #23

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

For Germany, get a number matching (engine number match) car with a COA.
It will make your life easier each inspection.

I would not suggest you buy a savlage title car and try to import it unless you know someone who has done this in your country....

I had a heck of a time registering my BMW motorcycle in Germany...
Go figure, cause it was made about 20 minutes from my house.

Rich
+Quote Post
Nine_14
post Jan 2 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 2 2013, 10:18 PM) *

I can look at it for/with you if that'll help. Might cost you lunch ......................

The Cap'n

I have both, plus an OBD Reader, but thanks for your offer Cap'n,
prepare for a long ride when i am calling for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Welcome to germany. (Having lunch together )
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Nine_14
post Jan 2 2013, 03:30 PM
Post #25

Last times i invested my mechanical skills in machines like that.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Nine_14
post Jan 2 2013, 03:55 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 2 2013, 10:24 PM) *

For Germany, get a number matching (engine number match) car with a COA.
It will make your life easier each inspection.

I would not suggest you buy a savlage title car and try to import it unless you know someone who has done this in your country....

I had a heck of a time registering my BMW motorcycle in Germany...
Go figure, cause it was made about 20 minutes from my house.

Rich

I don't wanna buy an us salvage car, but trying to learn a little bit more every day.
That's why i am asking for.
Hanging around here needs a little bit of knowlede of us rules and regulations, and sometimes a little help from friendly members here at 914world.

thx

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
larryM
post Jan 4 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #27

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

X2 all below - it is actually fairly easy if the car is "out of the computer system"

in my last few sojourns on various makes resurrections I have never had a problem with 3rd party verifiers insisting on "completed" cars

- maybe CHP does, but i'd stay as far away from a CHP verification as possible cuz they will begin by assuming it is a stolen vehicle

there is at least one 3rd party verifier who does ALL THE WORK for you (from Nevada City) - Donna Leak - she is a former DMV person who will do everything you need to get a Title & Plates

- she advertises in various car publications - buy a copy of Cruisin' News to see her ad - cost me $300 plus DMV fees to have her do a '67 Sprite for me last year

I also have used a retired CHP verifier from Placerville - never any problem with the verification, but more of that "stolen car" suspicious mindset

if you are talking about resurrecting a car that is still "in the DMV computer" - you will have to pay all the back fees & penalties - but no Brake-Lamp-SMOG - i did that with a '75 911 not long ago

on a salvaged-title car you will have to do the Brake & Lamp (& SMOG if newer than '75 ) - in which case "completed" is a true factor since the Brake check requires the car to be driven

QUOTE(SchantzMD @ Jan 1 2013, 07:55 PM) *

Hi David,

I've been through this in CA more times than I'd like to admit and the process isn't bad, but there is a procedure that you have to go through.

First, do a VIN check to see if there is any history or back fees on the car, if it's been sitting for a while expect the DMV to show nothing, also note that if back fees are owed and the vehicle is about to be dropped from the system performing a VIN inquiry can reinstate the VIN. Next ask the owner what they know/how they got the car, if the story makes sense then don't worry about it, and if something sounds fishy then run the other way,...fast!
If the story and history check out print out a CA REG135 and take it with you when you pick up the car, be sure to print out a Statement of Facts and an Application for Registration from the CA DMV site too.
Finally don't expect to be able to do anything until the car is complete. In my experience, the DMV, AAA, CHP, or a 3rd party VIN verifier WILL NOT complete a VIN verification until the car is complete, which means that you cannot obtain a title until the vehicle is fully assembled. This could really bite you in the butt if there's a lien holder or theft record so you want to be 100% sure everything is Kosher before you put a $1 into the thing. Also enforcement agencies usually want to see 2 VIN plates on the vehicle along with the engine emission label so expect some questions if any of those are missing.
Overall the process isn't bad but you need to know what to have and what to say so you don't get hassled.

Good luck,
Mike

P.S. If the vehicle history shows a Salvage record then a Brake and Light inspection will be needed too, which will run about $50-$80.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:02 PM