Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smokin Wheel
jsayre914
post Jan 3 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Speed Up !!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

I drove about 10 min this morning when I noticed the passenger rear wheel wofting smoke, like it was on fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I pull over and kill the engine to inspect. The smell of the smoke was like nothing i ever smelled (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I put my hand on the inside and outside of the tire, it was not hot or sticky. The smoke was kinda commin from everywhere around the wheel. Then I touched the rim, hot as a mother (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Then I noticed the small pc of duct tape wedged next to the caliper. Pulled it off, was kinda sticky, then I thought why would duct tape be on the wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Oh yeah! when I had the tires balanced a few years ago, i put some duct tape over the weights, cause i thought it would help keep them on there.

The weight let go of the wheel this morning and wedged itself between the caliper and heated everything up, I think the weight/ duct tape was the awesome smell. I got back in threw it into reverse and backed up quickly, sure enough i heard a small clunk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) No more smoke no more hot wheels.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Now I should prolly rebalance my wheels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 3 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Another use for duct tape! Wow, I bet that caused some anxiety! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 3 2013, 12:04 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

I drove about 10 min this morning when I noticed the passenger rear wheel wofting smoke, like it was on fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I pull over and kill the engine to inspect. The smell of the smoke was like nothing i ever smelled (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I put my hand on the inside and outside of the tire, it was not hot or sticky. The smoke was kinda commin from everywhere around the wheel. Then I touched the rim, hot as a mother (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Then I noticed the small pc of duct tape wedged next to the caliper. Pulled it off, was kinda sticky, then I thought why would duct tape be on the wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Oh yeah! when I had the tires balanced a few years ago, i put some duct tape over the weights, cause i thought it would help keep them on there.

The weight let go of the wheel this morning and wedged itself between the caliper and heated everything up, I think the weight/ duct tape was the awesome smell. I got back in threw it into reverse and backed up quickly, sure enough i heard a small clunk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) No more smoke no more hot wheels.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Now I should prolly rebalance my wheels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
jbyron
post Jan 3 2013, 11:18 AM
Post #3

Jamie

Member No.: 7,916
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was sure this story would end with a call to Eric Shea to replace a siezed caliper. Definitely a better ending.
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Jan 3 2013, 11:41 AM
Post #4

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645

..."...I love the smell of napalm in the morning...smells like..."

FIRE!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 3 2013, 11:48 AM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

When we balanced the race car tires, we ALWAYS put a strip of duck tape over the stick-on weights to keep them from coming off.

I guess we were so fast that the tape and/or weight never came off due to centrifugal force. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 3 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(jbyron @ Jan 3 2013, 12:18 PM) *

I was sure this story would end with a call to Eric Shea

Does Erc use 100MPH Tape? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 3 2013, 12:56 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Glad you solved it so quickly. I had a ABS fault light on my BMW R1100 RT-SE a couple years back. I brought it to the dealership and the tech was totally baffled. He ordered replacements for just about everything and when he went to install the stuff he notices a tiny RC car magnet. Apparently jumped up off the road and attached itself. No smoke but it took days to figure it out... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 3 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #8

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 3 2013, 10:56 AM) *

Glad you solved it so quickly. I had a ABS fault light on my BMW R1100 RT-SE a couple years back. I brought it to the dealership and the tech was totally baffled. He ordered replacements for just about everything and when he went to install the stuff he notices a tiny RC car magnet. Apparently jumped up off the road and attached itself. No smoke but it took days to figure it out... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I called Erc right away! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Jan 3 2013, 01:39 PM
Post #9

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you look close, you will see that I already called Eric (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:58 PM