Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smokin Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
smoke.gif

I drove about 10 min this morning when I noticed the passenger rear wheel wofting smoke, like it was on fire. WTF.gif I pull over and kill the engine to inspect. The smell of the smoke was like nothing i ever smelled barf.gif I put my hand on the inside and outside of the tire, it was not hot or sticky. The smoke was kinda commin from everywhere around the wheel. Then I touched the rim, hot as a mother screwy.gif

Then I noticed the small pc of duct tape wedged next to the caliper. Pulled it off, was kinda sticky, then I thought why would duct tape be on the wheel idea.gif Oh yeah! when I had the tires balanced a few years ago, i put some duct tape over the weights, cause i thought it would help keep them on there.

The weight let go of the wheel this morning and wedged itself between the caliper and heated everything up, I think the weight/ duct tape was the awesome smell. I got back in threw it into reverse and backed up quickly, sure enough i heard a small clunk. piratenanner.gif No more smoke no more hot wheels.

aktion035.gif

Now I should prolly rebalance my wheels dry.gif
JawjaPorsche
Another use for duct tape! Wow, I bet that caused some anxiety! blink.gif

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 3 2013, 12:04 PM) *

smoke.gif

I drove about 10 min this morning when I noticed the passenger rear wheel wofting smoke, like it was on fire. WTF.gif I pull over and kill the engine to inspect. The smell of the smoke was like nothing i ever smelled barf.gif I put my hand on the inside and outside of the tire, it was not hot or sticky. The smoke was kinda commin from everywhere around the wheel. Then I touched the rim, hot as a mother screwy.gif

Then I noticed the small pc of duct tape wedged next to the caliper. Pulled it off, was kinda sticky, then I thought why would duct tape be on the wheel idea.gif Oh yeah! when I had the tires balanced a few years ago, i put some duct tape over the weights, cause i thought it would help keep them on there.

The weight let go of the wheel this morning and wedged itself between the caliper and heated everything up, I think the weight/ duct tape was the awesome smell. I got back in threw it into reverse and backed up quickly, sure enough i heard a small clunk. piratenanner.gif No more smoke no more hot wheels.

aktion035.gif

Now I should prolly rebalance my wheels dry.gif

jbyron
I was sure this story would end with a call to Eric Shea to replace a siezed caliper. Definitely a better ending.
wingnut86
..."...I love the smell of napalm in the morning...smells like..."

FIRE!!!

shades.gif
SLITS
When we balanced the race car tires, we ALWAYS put a strip of duck tape over the stick-on weights to keep them from coming off.

I guess we were so fast that the tape and/or weight never came off due to centrifugal force. av-943.gif
carr914
QUOTE(jbyron @ Jan 3 2013, 12:18 PM) *

I was sure this story would end with a call to Eric Shea

Does Erc use 100MPH Tape? blink.gif
ConeDodger
Glad you solved it so quickly. I had a ABS fault light on my BMW R1100 RT-SE a couple years back. I brought it to the dealership and the tech was totally baffled. He ordered replacements for just about everything and when he went to install the stuff he notices a tiny RC car magnet. Apparently jumped up off the road and attached itself. No smoke but it took days to figure it out... blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 3 2013, 10:56 AM) *

Glad you solved it so quickly. I had a ABS fault light on my BMW R1100 RT-SE a couple years back. I brought it to the dealership and the tech was totally baffled. He ordered replacements for just about everything and when he went to install the stuff he notices a tiny RC car magnet. Apparently jumped up off the road and attached itself. No smoke but it took days to figure it out... blink.gif

I called Erc right away! evilgrin.gif
jsayre914
If you look close, you will see that I already called Eric shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.