Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 update
Nico914
post Jan 6 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #1

914 lover/ owner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,322
Region Association: None

Hey guys heres a little update on the car. It has spark, its getting fuel but still won't start. Engine will "pop" ever once a while but wont fire up. I went to clean out the gas tank so i could put fresh fuel in it...RUST... I found chunks of rust in the gas tank. Im thinking everything is clogged up. What should i go about doing. Wost comes to worst i will replace all my fuel lines and fuel filter/pump. Any Suggestions? By the way how to i check to make sure my fuel injectors are working? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
914_teener
post Jan 6 2013, 02:17 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Yes....empty the gas....take the tank out and resolve all the rust in the fuel system prior to doing anything with the injectors....you are just going to chase the goose around things until that is resolved.

+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jan 6 2013, 02:20 PM
Post #3

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

My 1.7 was in a garage for over 26 years. The car would start and run on ether. When I pulled the tank and drained it you would not believe the sludge that was in the bottom. Really nothing would get through that tank screen, and even if it was changed, the sludge would just clog it up again.

I would pull the tank and get it cleaned and sealed. Good thing to do after 40years, and not that hard a job.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 6 2013, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I bet the injectors are full of rust too. You will need to clean everything! Fuel lines can be flushed but you may want to replace the rubber bits. Fuel pump now has rust in it too.

You may be able to take the tank to a radiator shop and get it boiled/cleaned.

I run my fuel filter before the pump to keep the junk out. But nothing on my car is factory stock...
+Quote Post
Nico914
post Jan 6 2013, 03:13 PM
Post #5

914 lover/ owner

Member No.: 15,322

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 6 2013, 12:20 PM) *

My 1.7 was in a garage for over 26 years. The car would start and run on ether. When I pulled the tank and drained it you would not believe the sludge that was in the bottom. Really nothing would get through that tank screen, and even if it was changed, the sludge would just clog it up again.

I would pull the tank and get it cleaned and sealed. Good thing to do after 40years, and not that hard a job.

Okay good to know thank you so much!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:37 PM