Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nico914
Hey guys heres a little update on the car. It has spark, its getting fuel but still won't start. Engine will "pop" ever once a while but wont fire up. I went to clean out the gas tank so i could put fresh fuel in it...RUST... I found chunks of rust in the gas tank. Im thinking everything is clogged up. What should i go about doing. Wost comes to worst i will replace all my fuel lines and fuel filter/pump. Any Suggestions? By the way how to i check to make sure my fuel injectors are working? idea.gif sad.gif
914_teener
Yes....empty the gas....take the tank out and resolve all the rust in the fuel system prior to doing anything with the injectors....you are just going to chase the goose around things until that is resolved.

wndsnd
My 1.7 was in a garage for over 26 years. The car would start and run on ether. When I pulled the tank and drained it you would not believe the sludge that was in the bottom. Really nothing would get through that tank screen, and even if it was changed, the sludge would just clog it up again.

I would pull the tank and get it cleaned and sealed. Good thing to do after 40years, and not that hard a job.
Mike Bellis
I bet the injectors are full of rust too. You will need to clean everything! Fuel lines can be flushed but you may want to replace the rubber bits. Fuel pump now has rust in it too.

You may be able to take the tank to a radiator shop and get it boiled/cleaned.

I run my fuel filter before the pump to keep the junk out. But nothing on my car is factory stock...
Nico914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 6 2013, 12:20 PM) *

My 1.7 was in a garage for over 26 years. The car would start and run on ether. When I pulled the tank and drained it you would not believe the sludge that was in the bottom. Really nothing would get through that tank screen, and even if it was changed, the sludge would just clog it up again.

I would pull the tank and get it cleaned and sealed. Good thing to do after 40years, and not that hard a job.

Okay good to know thank you so much!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.