Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion, or a primer on "How to convert your 914 to a Subaru 3.0"
David J
post Aug 28 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,577
Region Association: Southwest Region

Me Three!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 5 2013, 05:27 AM
Post #142

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) How's it going Kent? Still waiting on trans parts?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 5 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #143

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Yes, but that's not a real hold up. The last few days it's been the Wx. Too damned hot! The exhaust is the hiccup that's keeping me off the shifter build. I need to transition from oval to round tube within a limited space. It should begin a cool down later this week then I'm back into the electrical. I'm teetering between going full Suby electrical vs. a splice in, now. If in reality, I can shave several month's build time by using the 914's wiring where possible, I think I should. That and all my existing wiring is really primo. At this stage in life I shouldn't buy green bananas much less get into some lengthy project that might not be completed because of some unforeseen future medical issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) How's things on your end??
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Sep 5 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #144

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Speaking of unforeseen medical issues I'll still get you the shifter photos, I've just wrenched my back and can't get to the car. So a little longer. Or maybe better pills.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 5 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #145

Hey DB, glad you posted. I forgot to mention; go ahead and post them here. I'm a little ways out on this and I know Chris and some others are awaiting some direction re: this. Take care of that back. BTDT.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Sep 5 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #146

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with taking care of your back and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with wanting pics of your shifter!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 5 2013, 12:24 PM
Post #147

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 5 2013, 10:29 AM) *

Yes, but that's not a real hold up. The last few days it's been the Wx. Too damned hot! The exhaust is the hiccup that's keeping me off the shifter build. I need to transition from oval to round tube within a limited space. It should begin a cool down later this week then I'm back into the electrical. I'm teetering between going full Suby electrical vs. a splice in, now. If in reality, I can shave several month's build time by using the 914's wiring where possible, I think I should. That and all my existing wiring is really primo. At this stage in life I shouldn't buy green bananas much less get into some lengthy project that might not be completed because of some unforeseen future medical issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) How's things on your end??

I'm waiting for another intake to come in...should be here next week. Engine is too far forward to use the stock one, plus I don't like it because it's a massive piece of plastic. It was a pain to find a substitute because very few cars have a split dual "snorkel" intake. Mitsubishi 3000GTVR4 if anyone else has the problem.

I decided to splice into the 914 harness. If your 914 wiring is in good shape it will save you a lot of time and energy. With the SVX you just separate the engine and body harnesses and splice into the 914 harness at the former relay board connection (you don't need the board any more, just splice into the 14 pin harness. At Jeff Bowlsby's site you can see how simple the wiring is:

Connector Map

You use the Subie fuel pump relay and ignition relay. I can send you some links when you get closer.

Sorry to hear about the back DB! We'll wait for you. There are enough great pics of your setup out there already for me to start looking for mounting brackets.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Sep 5 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 5 2013, 11:29 AM) *

The exhaust is the hiccup that's keeping me off the shifter build. I need to transition from oval to round tube within a limited space.

Outfront has the exhaust flanges in stock. The rest is pretty easy. I'll send a link on how I did mine as soon as I get home.
Heres some pictures from the RS25 site.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Bob
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 5 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #149

Thx Bob, I did buy the flanges on your suggestion. I took them to a muffler fab shop and but it stopped there. I'll use your pic's and show them to the muffler guy. What size should I run? 1 1/2"?? Just came in from the mental gauntlet called the harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 13 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #150

After a few temper tantrums, lots of cussing and bit of whining I think I've got this whittled down to a manageable size. A few more wires to trace out, test fit, trim, etc. It's one of those 95% complete and 95% to go, things.

The first trimming

Attached Image

Attached Image

This was the first pile culled

Attached Image

Got tired of scrubbing the garage floor with my knees so I went vertical. Here is the final few pieces hung and ready to plunder.

Attached Image

A closer look

Attached Image

and a close of the other side

Attached Image

Here it is completely scalped a few hours later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image

A closer look w/ all components, I think

Attached Image

And the bone yard. Might be a few bucks scrape here.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Sep 13 2013, 11:54 PM
Post #151

Member No.: 9,714

I seriously applaud your the amount of effort and labor you are putting into this Kent, It's gonna be spectacular when you're done. That sure is a hell of a lot of wiring though.. If it doesn't make you go insane, it sure will leave your mind nice and sharp. People pay good money for puzzles and "brain training" exercises. You've got them beat by a bunch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Part of me is really glad I went this route... so much simpleness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.eurometrix.ws-9714-1379138063.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Sep 14 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #152

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Sep 13 2013, 10:54 PM) *

Part of me is really glad I went this route... so much simpleness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.eurometrix.ws-9714-1379138063.1.jpg)

Almost everything involves trade-offs, giving up something to get something else. For example if you jet for near sea level, where you live, your poor car will be hacking climbing up over 6000 feet. assuming of course that those carbs are still well synced and the jets all clean. He's putting more work into it now, but will never have any of those issues, and as a bonus will have a car that starts easier, has more power, and gets better mileage the whole time.

Don't get me wrong, I still love carburetors myself, can't beat the look and that sound, but as I get older I find there are a lot of little things competing for my attention. I appreciate that fuel injection, once set up, just works, and works well, no muss, no fuss. But yes, it's true, I AM lazy.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 14 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #153

Nice work Kent! Don't get rid of that extra wire yet. You'll need to extend several of yours for things like the radiator fans, etc.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 17 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #154

Hey thanks Ethan, that means a lot coming from an over achiever like you. I think your conversion was a feat considering you did it a few weeks before school resumed while working. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

DB, you read my mind. All 3 min's worth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Thanks Chris, You were probably grinning from ear to ear while I fussed with the harness, having been there. Anyway, I want to give credit where credit is due but first I need to back up a few weeks. After staring at 40+ lb's of wiring for a few weeks I decided to just jump in and began cutting. Thank goodness my Subaru factory manual arrived just days later or I would have had a real mess on my hands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . After perusing the wiring diagram I realized that I had cut some wires that were needed and from what I could tell I had my work cut out for me. Since I had already caved in about using all the Suby harness' I decided to save myself some more time and ordered the smallcar directions for the VW Van conversion. This was a GOOD decision. First, my manual was missing a few updates that I would have missed. But more importantly was the support that I've received from the tech dept. Mel is the person in tech (and I'll bet the owner, too) that I deal with. He is a Prince to work with, seems always available and knows what the Hell he is talking about. He's been into Suby's forever and his enthusiasm is testimony to his love for his craft. Just wanted to pass this on to you guys getting ready to convert. Unless you are a Mike, Tom, Geoff or a EE I would suggest spending $175 with smallcar.com. The support is phenomenal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
So here is a pic of the almost complete harness tidied up. The looms are not taped in place because some lengths or wires for that matter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) , will change after it is fitted in it's new home.

Look closely at the first 2 pic's. I needed to add to this line and rolled off some wire, cut to length and noticed that although the sheaths were the same the gauges were different. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Notice how much larger the sheath is on the one that matches the gauge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

And the semi-finished product. I'm glad I did this and I'm happy to be done with it.

Attached Image

This area will get covered with loom but not until the last.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 18 2013, 08:02 AM
Post #155

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

looks good! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Do your self a favor and do not do a final wrap of the harness until all the bugs are worked out and the car runs great.

I've been having some intermittent issues and has to strip and chase every single wire. All were connected correctly but I found a loose connection in the factory temp sensor plug.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 18 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #156

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Do yourself a favor check all the grounds and battery connections at the plugs!!!
This will save you a great amount of time. Not trouble shooting battery and ground
problems when you try to start the engine.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 18 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #157

Mike and you have both said basically the same thing and coming from 2 of our elec guru's, it looks like the ohm meter needs a workout. Thanks for the tips. I'm not shy and I'm thick skinned so keep 'em coming. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 18 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #158

Resident Electrician

Don't be afraid to pull on each wire at each connection. If you find a bad one, it is much easier to fix while it's out of the car.

Ask me how I know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 18 2013, 12:24 PM
Post #159

Good point. I shouldn't blindly accept the work of another. An EE showed me what pulling on one means. I was surprised by the amount of force he used but that's what's necessary. BTW, where can a guy buy a decent ratcheting crimper for less than an arm and leg? I remember that style crimper seemed to get it tight & right the first time, every time. And thanks for the electrical help from you Ace's. Not my strong point and just knowing that "those in the know" are watching is comforting to say the least. Before I moved out here I used to hang with 3-4 EE's and never had to concern myself with much electrical. Thx for picking up where my old buddies left off.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 18 2013, 02:03 PM
Post #160

Resident Electrician

The crimper I use was made by Molex. I cost $125, 15 years ago.

mouser electronics can help you find one.
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 08:42 AM