Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion, or a primer on "How to convert your 914 to a Subaru 3.0"
904svo
post Jun 8 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #421

904SVO

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,146

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 8 2014, 03:17 PM) *

Hey Mark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) No matter what you order it will appear counterfeit at a glance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Yesterday I bumped the starter while it was in gear. I almost shit myself but that is another story. Placed it in neutral, started it and it ran rough as Hell so I shut it off while I thought about it. I had just wrapped looming around most of the comp wiring and was afraid I had (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) something up. Today I started it and revved it a bit and it smoothed mostly but still is a bit off and running very rich. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I'll see what code is flagged or better yet which codes are not flagged. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Any ideas??
After that experience I decided I had better use the neutral switch on the tranny. It and the reverse switch are dead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) That's alright. It's time to pull the drivetrain so I'll get a closer look when it's out. It might be a result of removing the center differential. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Forgot to add that I ran a dedicated 16ga wire from the bat to that lying assed Volt meter.

Make sure the MAF is installed correctly, thats what mine did when i installed it
backwards. It would start but run like shit!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 8 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #422

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Thx, I'll check that. I need to learn about those and there is no time like the present. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I haven't fabbed an air box yet and the TB is open to the trunk. There is 2 pole harness that attached to the old air box. Is this "most likely" a N/O ground switch that can be jumped. I don't have the OEM sender anymore. TIA.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 8 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #423

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Also are you running it with no exhaust still? Might (or might not) be something to do with that. I don't recall if those O2 sensors affect the way it runs or if it just pops the CEL.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 9 2014, 07:24 AM
Post #424

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 8 2014, 05:49 PM) *

Also are you running it with no exhaust still? Might (or might not) be something to do with that. I don't recall if those O2 sensors affect the way it runs or if it just pops the CEL.

Yes, I am. And they might effect it, but I don't know. I thought on it some more last nite and now I wonder if one of those engine harness plugs may have made contact with the body when it jumped. I know the engines want to jump up under load and there isn't a lot of clearance between those and the body. And I didn't fetch those codes yet, either.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 11 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #425

Well I dropped the drivetrain in preparation for cleaning up the Hell Hole wiring and some hose replacement. I'm writing it up step by step so I will have a reference one day when I've forgotten damn near everything I've done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) This adds to the time it takes but what is really slowing me down is my neighbors kid who's decided to take an interest in my cars transformation. Not that I believe it's unusual for a 14yo kid to show interest in old cars. That is unless that kid's name is Brigitte. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif)
I place a lot of value on positive mentoring but with a girl? I'm walking on egg shells here. Some of it must be showing too because yesterday after a brief injury and a futile search for the proper response she told me it was alright if I cussed and that she hears it at home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) If her interests hold true and this continues I shall have to have a little talk with her about "proper" attire when working on automobiles. I'm sure those of you in my age group can attest to the difficulties of staying "on track" and not getting distracted. More especially if your assistant seems to bend over at every opportunity revealing her tight fitting short shorts or the fruits of the low cut blouses she choose to wear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It's a good thing for both of us that this wasn't happening 20 yr's ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) In all seriousness, she comes from a large family of over achievers and I think she was "left behind" so to speak. So we will see how long her interest stay the course. I suspect at her age she shall soon find a young suitor and lose interest in old cars. Until then, we continue. Yesterday was an intro to VOM's and continuity testing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 15 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #426

I had a few hours yesterday so I began to tidy up this electrical Rat's Nest that had been staring at me for the past few weeks.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

My helper went AWOL which sped the process up greatly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I ran out of electrical tape so pardon the exposed wires, sloppiness and floppiness. Another 2o min's and it should be wrapped up. NPI

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 15 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #427

Attached Image

Attached Image

Strapped up my cables

Attached Image

and strapped the steel fuel lines with Adell clamps. The $11 I spent on these lines saved me $65 on 30R9 hose which needs to be replaced in time also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 15 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #428

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Nice clean-up on the wiring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 16 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #429

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

More info on this please!

I'm looking for how in the world I'm going to work the burp tank and fill lines.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 16 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #430

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) OK...........I'll go take a few shots. I wasn't going to post it until I finalized the "plumbing" because the use of materials shall change drastically. BRB
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 16 2014, 05:54 PM
Post #431

I think you can see why I wasn't going to post this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image

This is another shot of the drivers side. Note the antennae hole and that the pipe is beginning to go back downhill as it passes thru the fenderwell. This is the high spot on the L side. Also, this tee and angle stop will be replaced with a .75" Alum coupling tapped w/ a 1/4" ball valve w/ a screw driver slot rather than a handle. I put the drivers side vent here because I did not want ANY water leaking onto the fuse block below and inside.

Attached Image

The R side is different and should be able to vent out thru the fill cap but I may have to loosen the pipe clamp that holds the hose down in order to raise the pipe 2" or 3" when venting. On my EZ30, the outlet hoses have enough flex that I can lift them if necessary.(That is the Tee you referenced )There's a pic of that here a few pages back. I don't know how yours exits the engine so I can't help there.

Attached Image

The high spot on the R side is where the hose goes over bulkhead. That spot is about 2" higher than the fill cap.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 18 2014, 08:53 AM
Post #432

One of the things on my punch list. My brakes lines are bled & fitted up but I'm missing something. I tried to explain this to Erc @ the G&R Event w/o results but then again a pic is worth a 1000 words. Hopefully this will be clear. During the conversion I replaced all the brake items. The PO had used some small SS flex lines which I replaced. They were of a different size and IIRC they had a small union which received the curved washer/clamp. With this set up the upper piece will flop in the hole because it isn't secured. What did I do wrong here? What do I need to order and where do I get them? It should secure like the other end in the last pic, right?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jun 18 2014, 09:00 AM
Post #433

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The last pic is how it ought to be! Coming along!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 18 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #434

I think you have that hose in slightly wrong on the top connection my brother. Need to move it so you can clip that piece into the little ring like the lower one.

Attached Image

The hex bolt needs to be on the other side of the bracket like the lower one is. Make sense?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 18 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #435

Well it will pull down enough that the nut is below the bracket but if I slip that clip over it it will just pull down further. In other words I could pull it down another 6" but it would bend the tube above it. Is it possible the hole in that bracket was drilled out by the PO and is too large. What is supposed to keep it from pulling thru? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Heeeeeelp.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 19 2014, 05:37 AM
Post #436

That doesn't look right.

I'd put a hose clamp in the bottom part and then use one of those C clips to keep it locked in place. Or, just the hose clamp.

I have SS lines without the flanges in front on mine and that's how I ended up having to do it too.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 19 2014, 07:06 AM
Post #437

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 18 2014, 06:26 PM) *

Well it will pull down enough that the nut is below the bracket but if I slip that clip over it it will just pull down further. In other words I could pull it down another 6" but it would bend the tube above it. Is it possible the hole in that bracket was drilled out by the PO and is too large. What is supposed to keep it from pulling thru? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Heeeeeelp.

So that hex bolt will go through the hole? I think the hole is too big or that hose is slightly different than stock. Did the old one fit OK? You could try a very thin washer but that clip pretty much fits the indented space exactly... How about a little JB Weld to close the hole up a bit? It's be plenty strong for that and might be easier than welding it up.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 19 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #438

I think I'll ping Erc. It's all his stuff so I'm sure it is standard and correct.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 19 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #439

Could you have the front and rear lines messed up?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 19 2014, 04:03 PM
Post #440

Shit if I know but I don't think so. Everything up front fits fine. Right now I'm prepping for the embarrassment that will come once Erc or someone shines the "dumb ass light" on me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) On a brighter note, I received my fuel hose from Chris today. I'm in SoCal & Chris is on the opposite corner of the good old USA. I ordered Monday nite and received the order this morning. That's fast!
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:33 PM