Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion, or a primer on "How to convert your 914 to a Subaru 3.0"
CptTripps
post Aug 4 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #481

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm super excited for you. Very glad one of "us" is on the road.

I hope to be the next, but I'm OK to be the last as well. ;-)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 4 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #482

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Aug 3 2014, 09:22 AM) *

Congrats on finishing the conversion. Can't wait to see it.
It sounds great.

Thx Ravi, I've got to fine tune the clutch then it's Dawn Patrol time again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 3 2014, 11:37 AM) *

Awesome news man!I'm still looking at gauges in the passenger foot well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Quit putting yours down. Your an engineer and I'm sure you will end up shaming my project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 3 2014, 06:58 PM) *

Dang...that is one quiet motor!

Uh Thx, I guess. Those graph's are out of my reach. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 4 2014, 06:36 AM) *

WOW!!! beautiful exhaust note. i looking forward to the 'on the roll' video @ 6k. your neighbors will be giving you the squinty eyed look real soon. great work!!!! the 1.7 badging is perfect. as you leave the young guys that want to challenge you in the dust they'll be all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . ha. again , GREAT WORK!!!

Thx Kev, I'm used to that look. I got that when I built a plane in my garage. BTW, that 1.7 badge is a Lure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/calvin.gif)

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 4 2014, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 1 2014, 09:43 PM) *
And here is what it sounds like. My comp skills are lacking so I'll just post the links. A real throttle cable should arrive next week then it's drive time and start shaking out the bugs. I'm not finished but getting closer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34k42Ck_20...eature=youtu.be

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zruK06mQbIA...eature=youtu.be
Nice Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I heard you grunt getting out of the car ... I can relate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Uh, I'm pretty sure that was a fart, Mark.

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 4 2014, 10:53 AM) *

Kent.... here is how I did my mufflers. At cruise this is as quiet as my wifes Camry.
When I'm at a stoplight I have to look at the tach to make sure its still running.
From the rear

Under

Thx Bob, I understand now

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 4 2014, 11:17 AM) *

I'm super excited for you. Very glad one of "us" is on the road.

I hope to be the next, but I'm OK to be the last as well. ;-)

It's worth the wait, Doug. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) When you get yours running you'll have to park down the street so as not to embarrass the rest of us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 5 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #483

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 4 2014, 09:17 PM) *

I've got to fine tune the clutch then it's Dawn Patrol time again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Good News!

I have some new roads to show you...PM me when you're up for a shakeout run (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 13 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #484

Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 15 2014, 10:31 AM) *

There are a few dimensions I'm missing, but I think I have it overall. Would you be kind enough to print this out and see if it matches the real piece you have?

I don't have dimensions for:

- Small Hole Diameters
- Distancees for A, B, C, D and E

This should be 210mm from side to side when you print it out.

It appears that,
D=52
B=probably 60
A=57
C=50
E=67, but doesn't appear to add up, looks too close to the edge for that, if 91 MM is C to C, and 210 MM is the OAL?

Small diameter holes would probably be whatever the bolt sizes are that hold the MC.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 14 2014, 08:44 AM
Post #485

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 13 2014, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 15 2014, 10:31 AM) *

There are a few dimensions I'm missing, but I think I have it overall. Would you be kind enough to print this out and see if it matches the real piece you have?

I don't have dimensions for:

- Small Hole Diameters
- Distancees for A, B, C, D and E

This should be 210mm from side to side when you print it out.

It appears that,
D=52
B=probably 60
A=57
C=50
E=67, but doesn't appear to add up, looks too close to the edge for that, if 91 MM is C to C, and 210 MM is the OAL?

Small diameter holes would probably be whatever the bolt sizes are that hold the MC.

Undergoing modifications to this area and it's related appurtenances as we speak. Updates are coming and will be posted here in the next week or so. Chris and I are currently working on an improved version. BRB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 14 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #486

If you received a Master Cylinder plate from me I have important update information. First, the 3/4" Wilwood will work but it is very hard to push. Also, Chris and I had "sealing" problems with their reservoirs. I had to pull my tank to clean beneath it after mine leaked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Anyway at Chris' suggestion, and I'm pretty sure he stole it from BIGCAT83 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , we tried a 5/8" Honda MC. It requires some quick modifications to the plate which I'll post here with detailed instructions, in the next week. If any of you feel uncomfortable with DIY then send it to me and I'll do it for you.
Another very positive experience with one of our vendors, Terry Cable. The first accelerator cable sent was bass akwards of what I ordered. When I called they said no problem and 4 days later, here it is. They are a very personable, customer oriented business. It arrived today and I put that puppy on tonite so that I could try the new clutch setup. That and to finally "put my foot into it"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/calvin.gif) The clutch motion requires no effort and is smoother than greased owl shit. It shifted so nicely I took it for a quick spin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) on a country road behind us. I now have 6 whole miles on it; 4 tonite. A big positive is that I'm not experiencing any cooling problems at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I need to install a burp tank as I lose about 4oz's after it shuts down but I just top off before starting it. That short run tonite made every (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) hour of the project worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Even the wiring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Damn that is some fun. You want to kinda aim that thing before you goose it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) I'm not complete by any means but I think I'm out of the forest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) Time to install the interior and buy those OEM side mirrors that I'd promised myself if it ran. I wonder if RRC would be pushing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2014, 06:45 AM
Post #487

Member No.: 73

Great update! You really worked hard on that clutch thing. Definitely stole the idea...many people (including BIGKAT/Bob) mentioned the Honda MC, some even IN MY BUILD THREAD. Don't know why I didn't read it more closely. BTW it's worth mentioning that the OEM for Honda is Nissin. That's the best one, but there are also many aftermarket ones that are half that price. The one I read NOT to buy on a couple of Civic sites is the Omni brand. Shorter throw, harder to push, leaks after a few years.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 15 2014, 07:00 AM
Post #488

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 14 2014, 10:14 PM) *

That and to finally "put my foot into it"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/calvin.gif) The clutch motion requires no effort and is smoother than greased owl shit. It shifted so nicely I took it for a quick spin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) on a country road behind us. I now have 6 whole miles on it; 4 tonite. A big positive is that I'm not experiencing any cooling problems at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I need to install a burp tank as I lose about 4oz's after it shuts down but I just top off before starting it. That short run tonite made every (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) hour of the project worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Even the wiring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Damn that is some fun. You want to kinda aim that thing before you goose it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) I'm not complete by any means but I think I'm out of the forest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) Time to install the interior and buy those OEM side mirrors that I'd promised myself if it ran. I wonder if RRC would be pushing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

So pumped that yours is ready to go! Start putting some miles on it to build confidence and join me at RRC! I just crested 200 miles on mine this week and its still putting a smile on my face every time I drive!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 15 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #489

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 15 2014, 05:45 AM) *

Great update! You really worked hard on that clutch thing. Definitely stole the idea...many people (including BIGKAT/Bob) mentioned the Honda MC, some even IN MY BUILD THREAD. Don't know why I didn't read it more closely. BTW it's worth mentioning that the OEM for Honda is Nissin. That's the best one, but there are also many aftermarket ones that are half that price. The one I read NOT to buy on a couple of Civic sites is the Omni brand. Shorter throw, harder to push, leaks after a few years.

My hard work was due in fact to my own ignorance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) The final product is the result of many others before me. My specialty is stealing ideas and painting them a different colour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Thanks for your hours of researching parts availability and prices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 15 2014, 06:00 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 14 2014, 10:14 PM) *

That and to finally "put my foot into it"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/calvin.gif) The clutch motion requires no effort and is smoother than greased owl shit. It shifted so nicely I took it for a quick spin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) on a country road behind us. I now have 6 whole miles on it; 4 tonite. A big positive is that I'm not experiencing any cooling problems at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I need to install a burp tank as I lose about 4oz's after it shuts down but I just top off before starting it. That short run tonite made every (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) hour of the project worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Even the wiring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Damn that is some fun. You want to kinda aim that thing before you goose it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) I'm not complete by any means but I think I'm out of the forest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) Time to install the interior and buy those OEM side mirrors that I'd promised myself if it ran. I wonder if RRC would be pushing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

So pumped that yours is ready to go! Start putting some miles on it to build confidence and join me at RRC! I just crested 200 miles on mine this week and its still putting a smile on my face every time I drive!

We'll see. I certainly have no problem camping but I have my daughters wedding in Oct so my window of opportunity is growing smaller every day.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Aug 15 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #490

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

Congrats Kent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Nothing better than turning the key after a long build, car sounds awesome, it's got to be a blast finally driving it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

You guys have done so much fabrication to simplify the suby conversion future projects will get easier as time goes, still considering it for the black car.....but lately I keep thinking LS1, we'll see. Nice work, bring it to RRC...love to see it.

Great job,
Jeff
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Aug 15 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #491

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

Again....Congrats man. I'm super happy for you.

I think I'm going to need to bring in reinforcements to get me across the finish line with mine. I've come too far, and I'm sick of looking at a 3/4 done project.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2014, 03:58 PM
Post #492

Member No.: 73

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 15 2014, 09:52 AM) *

My specialty is stealing ideas and painting them a different colour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Thanks for your hours of researching parts availability and prices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The clutch thing you engineered. That was the hard part. I was the one who was "borrowing" ideas...wait...did you steal my idea stealing idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) LOL! I think that's the lesson we learned...if someone else got it to work well, DO THAT. "Cause they probably already tried the alternatives.

We'll all be driving soon!

Doug, focus on something that you can finish, even if it's small. You can do it!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 15 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #493

[quote name='76-914' date='Aug 14 2014, 08:14 PM' post='2074062']
If you received a Master Cylinder plate from me I have important update information. First, the 3/4" Wilwood will work but it is very hard to push. Also, Chris and I had "sealing" problems with their reservoirs. I had to pull my tank to clean beneath it after mine leaked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Anyway at Chris' suggestion, and I'm pretty sure he stole it from BIGCAT83 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , we tried a 5/8" Honda MC. It requires some quick modifications to the plate which I'll post here with detailed instructions.

Is this reservoir leaking an isolated case, or are there others that are experiencing the same problem, along with hard pushing of it?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 15 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #494

[quote name='partwerks' date='Aug 15 2014, 08:25 PM' post='2074380']
If you received a Master Cylinder plate from me I have important update information. First, the 3/4" Wilwood will work but it is very hard to push. Also, Chris and I had "sealing" problems with their reservoirs. I had to pull my tank to clean beneath it after mine leaked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Anyway at Chris' suggestion, and I'm pretty sure he stole it from BIGCAT83 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , we tried a 5/8" Honda MC. It requires some quick modifications to the plate which I'll post here with detailed instructions.

Is this reservoir leaking an isolated case, or are there others that are experiencing the same problem, along with hard pushing of it?
[/quote]
Yep, I'm sure others will chime in at some point. After I thought about it I realized it's just common sense. If both ends are = in diameter then it is the same thing as you sitting behind the trans pushing the clutch fork in with your leg. No mechanical advantage. Remember the old 3 sp English bikes that came with a tire pump clipped to the cross bar and how skinny it was. Those tires took a lot of pressure and the fat pumps we used for our Western Flyers wouldn't do it. Chris said the Honda MC on ebay was only $29 used. I have one and it works great. Another plus is you won't have to cut the belly pan to accept it like the Wilwood required. I'll doc it all here is a few days. I'm waiting on some more parts to do Chris' so I'll shoot pic's then.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 15 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #495

[quote name='76-914' date='Aug 15 2014, 08:31 PM' post='2074391']

[/quote]
Yep, I'm sure others will chime in at some point. After I thought about it I realized it's just common sense. If both ends are = in diameter then it is the same thing as you sitting behind the trans pushing the clutch fork in with your leg. No mechanical advantage. Remember the old 3 sp English bikes that came with a tire pump clipped to the cross bar and how skinny it was. Those tires took a lot of pressure and the fat pumps we used for our Western Flyers wouldn't do it. Chris said the Honda MC on ebay was only $29 used. I have one and it works great. Another plus is you won't have to cut the belly pan to accept it like the Wilwood required. I'll doc it all here is a few days. I'm waiting on some more parts to do Chris' so I'll shoot pic's then.
[/quote]
Do you have a link handy with the picture of the MC you are referring to?
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 16 2014, 03:14 AM
Post #496

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

[/quote]
[/quote]
I had posted it on page 11 of this thread.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 16 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #497

[quote name='BIGKAT_83' date='Aug 16 2014, 01:14 AM' post='2074414']
[/quote]
[/quote]
I had posted it on page 11 of this thread.
[/quote]
Hard to see in the pic, being painted black, but is this even remotely close?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Brake-Master-C...e54&vxp=mtr

What year of Honda?
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 16 2014, 07:57 AM
Post #498

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

No, not even close.....Thats a brake master cylinder for power brakes.
The clutch master cylinder I posted is the aluminum one on the left.
There is a shop in Kansas City doing a LS2/Boxster transaxle conversion now. This guy does first class work. I would suggest that you take your car to him.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
If your interested I can PM you his contact info.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 16 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #499

I'm in manufacturing. You'll have to check with Chris in supply. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I honestly don't know but we'll get that info to you soon. Here is a shot of one installed but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Aug 16 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #500

Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

[quote name='76-914' date='Aug 15 2014, 09:31 PM' post='2074391']

[/quote]
[/quote]
If the Honda MC is 5/8, I get the feeling, I will not be happy with the .700 bore Tilton that I have. Like everything else, I started liking the Honda MC more and more after I payed good money for the Tiltion.
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:46 PM