Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 24 25 26 27 28 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion, or a primer on "How to convert your 914 to a Subaru 3.0"
partwerks
post Aug 16 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #501

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 16 2014, 06:24 AM) *

I'm in manufacturing. You'll have to check with Chris in supply. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I honestly don't know but we'll get that info to you soon. Here is a shot of one installed but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I see that the corner needs to be trimmed for clearance to the upper left of the clutch MC.

I'm guessing that you are using the stock clutch pedal to operate the hydraulic clutch, and that it bolts on through the firewall? If so, I would think I would use between 1/8", and 3/16" material?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 16 2014, 02:43 PM
Post #502

Planning on having my Nieces's hubby do the work, since he was the top tech at the chevy garage, till Delmar was too cheap to give him a raise, and opened up his own shop then. Reasonable labor, and some freebies......

I was just trying to do some of the leg work for him, and make some of the stuff that I can. Almost done with the water logs. Can do this MC bracket, but not sure on the motor mount, w/o any measurements. Can't tell just by looking at a picture.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 16 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #503

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It looks like this:

OEM Honda Clutch MC

1993ish to 2000 Civic. The OEM is Nissin/Adler (NOT Nissan!), but you can get a bunch of aftermarket ones for ~$25 or so, or a used one for about $25. Just avoid the Omni aftermarket brand.

There are a few other bits you need. I'll post the full list once I get mine installed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 16 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #504

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 16 2014, 01:23 PM) *

I'm in manufacturing. You'll have to check with Chris in supply. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I honestly don't know but we'll get that info to you soon. Here is a shot of one installed but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I see that the corner needs to be trimmed for clearance to the upper left of the clutch MC.

I'm guessing that you are using the stock clutch pedal to operate the hydraulic clutch, and that it bolts on through the firewall? If so, I would think I would use between 1/8", and 3/16" material?

Yes on all. Replace the pedal bolts with longer ones also.

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 16 2014, 01:43 PM) *

Planning on having my Nieces's hubby do the work, since he was the top tech at the chevy garage, till Delmar was too cheap to give him a raise, and opened up his own shop then. Reasonable labor, and some freebies......

I was just trying to do some of the leg work for him, and make some of the stuff that I can. Almost done with the water logs. Can do this MC bracket, but not sure on the motor mount, w/o any measurements. Can't tell just by looking at a picture.

Well actually you can. You need to go from the front motor mount bolt holes to the rear transmission support bolts. Your bends will be what you make them. I used 4130 Chromoly and bent mine as far as my cheap ass bender would allow, about 37'. It's somewhere in this thread.

Thx for posting that Chris.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 16 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #505

At Rockauto, I can get a Dorman, MC, and Slave for about $29.00. I noticed the Master is 5/8" bore, and the slave is 3/4" bore. Is that typically how it should be?

How do I know if this slave will bolt up to a Boxster trans, or are they all pretty much the same?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.p...&cc=3299353

+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 16 2014, 08:21 PM
Post #506

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 16 2014, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 16 2014, 01:23 PM) *

Yes on all. Replace the pedal bolts with longer ones also.

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 16 2014, 01:43 PM) *

Well actually you can. You need to go from the front motor mount bolt holes to the rear transmission support bolts. Your bends will be what you make them. I used 4130 Chromoly and bent mine as far as my cheap as bender would allow, about 37'. It's somewhere in this thread.

Thx for posting that Chris.

Longer bolts to go through the plate that positions the two cylinders together?

It appears that I may be able to utilize part/most, of the old Subie cradle in addition to the motor mount for the LS to help stiffen things up a bit. I do have the long kit installed in the cab.

On the old 3.6 conversion, I had the frame rails that plug welded in on the longs, and tied into the rear trailing arms.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 16 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #507

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 16 2014, 09:00 PM) *

At Rockauto, I can get a Dorman, MC, and Slave for about $29.00. I noticed the Master is 5/8" bore, and the slave is 3/4" bore. Is that typically how it should be?

How do I know if this slave will bolt up to a Boxster trans, or are they all pretty much the same?

You'll need to use the slave cylinder from the Boxster trans. It looks totally different. We are using Subaru slave cylinders with the Honda master and it works fine (with Subie transes obviously). Not sure what the "throw" requirements are for the Boxster trans but I think Bob is installing a Boxster 6 speed in his LS1 car. Maybe he can tell you what MC he is using. That would be the only thing to be sure of before you commit to the Honda MC. Just need to be sure you can get clutch fully depressed.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Aug 16 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #508

Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 16 2014, 07:00 PM) *

The suby slave I have, has a 13/16 (.812) stamped on it. I recall seeing something like 11/16 for the suby MC. Here it is: http://www.licmotorsports.com/sites/defaul...on%2056-372.pdf see: page 2
That is why I chose the .700 Tilton over the 3/4, I like easy.
Now, you guys have me thinking, it needs more than .050 and I will have a hard clutch?

Kent, If I can get my axles / CVs worked out and tranies swapped we could hook up and do some suby swapping.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 16 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #509

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I'm running a 5/8" master on my Boxster tranny. The slave for the Boxster and the VW Passat (1997-2001) is the same. The Passat unit is a fraction of the price. The Passat unit will fit both Boxster/Cayman 5 & 6 speed trannies up to 2008 for sure. Not sure about newer.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 17 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #510

Oh crud that's right Mike, how could I forget you have a Boxster trans? So Mike is running a 5/8 master, same as the Honda, and a stock VW/Audi/Porsche slave.

Mike Birdwell - The Subie clutch master is 5/8 in the cases that I saw in my limited research of 200-2006 transmissions. For a while we were getting direction that the master and slave cylinders had to match but they do not for Subaru. The 11/16 was probably out there because Kent's and my slave cylinders are 11/16. Turns out that has no bearing. Seems like 5/8 is the ticket to smooth, easy to push as long as you have the "throw"to fully engage the clutch.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 17 2014, 08:25 AM
Post #511

[/quote]

Longer bolts to go through the plate that positions the two cylinders together?

There are two bolts that are spot welded to the pedal assm that the brake MC bolts to. R&R those two w/ bolts 8-10mm longer. Hint: Use an old MC to reposition the new bolts.

Kent, If I can get my axles / CVs worked out and tranies swapped we could hook up and do some suby swapping.
[/quote]
I was hoping we could at least get our own National Holiday after that ordeal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 17 2014, 08:46 AM
Post #512

Will the clutch slave cylinder (Dorman) from Rockauto work, or is the bolt pattern the wrong way to work on the Boxster trans? Ooops, probably not.

I guess the plan is to get a Honda Civic CMC, and VW CSC, since the VW CSC is alreay being used, it should have enough throw?

To make the large hole for the new resident, the CMC, are they using a hole saw from the cab side or underneath the car to cut it out?
Once I get the correct measurements for the plate, then I can go forward on that part.

If a person gets the Honda CMC, where do they acquire the reservoir from, or can that be gotten at a local auto parts store?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 17 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #513

The "throw" is related to the MC. The smaller the MC the longer the throw to move the same volume of fluid, so the issue is whether or not the 914 stock clutch pedal has enough travel to push the 5/8 master far enough to fully engage the clutch. Sounds like others who know more than me about your setup are using 5/8 MC so theoretically you should be good.

You really have to use a VW/Audi/Porsche (same part it sounds like) on your trans. Using aftermarket or adapting one would be a huge pain.

You can use an aftermarket reservoir. I will get the stock hose dimension today. I bought a used Honda one on e-bay. $18.

Hi Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) I got all my coolant stuff corrected per Bob's instructions. Turning the key soon! No worries, still have brakes, shifter, etc to do.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 17 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #514

Given those years, a bit of overlap, it is the 2nd, or most expensive style one that I need for the trans, correct?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clutch-Slave-C...ebf&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clutch-Slave-C...f38&vxp=mtr

This one?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 17 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #515

I threw in the rear carpet and liner after trimming to fit around some items. It will look much better with new carpet but that will come later. I will need all new rubber seals, carpet, paint, tires n wheels to get up to speed but this is good for now.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The best part was this; the top fits in it's OG location. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 17 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #516

Might as well start posting some pic's on modifying the plate. Keep the bolts/nuts you used to mount the Wilwood MC to the plate. They are the same length/diameter. I cut 2 small tabs and beveled the edges before welding. You will need to grind it flat afterwards so the bevel is structural. Clamps them in place then move around with your spot welds, remove the clamps and weld. Then grind it smooth as shown.
**** More when the MC arrives.......

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This is a good time to point out what I believe is a poor design with the Wilwood reservoir. The inner piece which holds the "single o-ring" isn't strong enough to withstand the forces placed upon it by the clamp. As it gives the piece takes on a tapered shape pushing the reservoir up and away from the base. Notice the 6mm gap? As it pushes up, the o-ring ends up below the hose clamp as you can see in the 2nd pic below.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 17 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #517

I think I recognize that plate! Dang that looks nice.

Yeah totally agree on the reservoir o-ring. It's the same on the MC itself. And if you use a pressure bleeder you won't like what happens AT ALL.

Trunk is looking good Kent! I think I will use your half-canister to cover my starter and clutch MC holes in the trunk. Bunch of seal sealer and paint and it'll be barely noticeable.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 19 2014, 05:18 AM
Post #518

This is a good time to point out what I believe is a poor design with the Wilwood reservoir. The inner piece which holds the "single o-ring" isn't strong enough to withstand the forces placed upon it by the clamp. As it gives the piece takes on a tapered shape pushing the reservoir up and away from the base. Notice the 6mm gap? As it pushes up, the o-ring ends up below the hose clamp as you can see in the 2nd pic below.

I don't know if it would be a good idea or not, but could a person use some of that purple gunk that plumbers put on pvc to glue it together, to seal it??
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 19 2014, 05:28 AM
Post #519

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I've worked with six of the Wilwood reservoirs and have had no problems at all. You may be a little too tight with the clamp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 19 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #520

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 17 2014, 08:50 PM) *

I think I recognize that plate! Dang that looks nice.

Yeah totally agree on the reservoir o-ring. It's the same on the MC itself. And if you use a pressure bleeder you won't like what happens AT ALL.

Trunk is looking good Kent! I think I will use your half-canister to cover my starter and clutch MC holes in the trunk. Bunch of seal sealer and paint and it'll be barely noticeable.

I found the 2nd cover I made ( the black square one) allows for easy future repairs that the smaller one(s) did not.

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 19 2014, 04:18 AM) *

I don't know if it would be a good idea or not, but could a person use some of that purple gunk that plumbers put on pvc to glue it together, to seal it??

No. That purple stuff is an acetone based primer intended for vinyl plastics and is not a glue. Dirko might possibly work but I'd need to read up on it, first.

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 19 2014, 04:28 AM) *

I've worked with six of the Wilwood reservoirs and have had no problems at all. You may be a little too tight with the clamp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

The GA models are known to be of a better quality. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Honestly Bob the unit leaked before the tightening began. True the reservoir rose as it was tightened but I could not find a "happy medium" where it would not leak. Not crazy about that single o-ring design either.
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:47 PM