Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 28 29 30 31 32 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion, or a primer on "How to convert your 914 to a Subaru 3.0"
76-914
post Nov 16 2014, 05:52 PM
Post #581

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I finally did some work on Kugel today. I've been having so much fun that I put this off until now. I hadn't wired my backup lights into the conversion yet so today (ahem, after a spirited run earlier (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )I found the last relay removed from the donor car and used it with the tranny switch on the ground side of the relay. The Subaru switch is the same plunger style switch as the 901.
Here is the relay (blue)mounted and wired up

Attached Image

Key on and I have reverse lights again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) This winter I need to wire up my neutral switch, too.

Attached Image

I reinstalled the rain tray and guess what; it fits! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 30 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #582

It's been a few months since my last post. The car now has about 2700 miles and most of that has been uneventful, which is a good thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Items have been a rear brake line that leaked because I forgot to tighten it. That took 7 months to show up. The right headlamp power plug became disconnected because I ran the lead incorrectly and it would pull off when the lamp rotated. The horn took on a life of it's own till I discovered the warped rubber puck under the horn button. And one chaffed radiator hose that I carelessly installed.
This weekend at Rt66 the temp went up on me at 2700 ASL and I had to pull over for a few minutes then continued on with out incident. I caught it early and the engine didn't get heat soaked. I had been hammering it! OAT was increasing in Palm Springs. I had the RPM's in the 4-5K range and was pumping water too quickly thru my single pass radiator. Climbed another 3500' that day w/o incident but I kept the power setting at a sane level.
What I learned from this is that I'm "Border Line" on my cooling. I need a 2 or 3 core radiator. I plan on adding A/C and want to be able to drive in the summer, thru Vegas with A/C blasting. So, I will document that here once I install another radiator.
Mike Wills was nice enough to bring a windshield to Rt66 from AZ, Thx again Mike. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) So yesterday afternoon I removed my old sandblasted windshield. I was afraid of running into rust issues with < than a month before WCR15 but decided to just go for it and was pleasantly surprised. A surface rust area the size of a dime on the lower right corner and a slightly larger area on the left lower corner but it too is just surface rust. I Ice Picked the Hell out of it. All of the holes for the plastic rivets are true and no rust on any of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I need to get a roll of Butyl Tape, a seal for the dash to windshield, clean and prime the channel then slap it in.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Check out the dirt. No wonder they hold moisture in this area.

Attached Image

The old seal removed. The shit was so hard a cat couldn't scratch it!

Attached Image

L&R lower corners. This is a bad as it gets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

These 2 pic's show the general condition of the channel. I'm a lucky man. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
I won't bore anyone with the install. That ones been done already.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 12 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #583

Finally! Two weeks in the garage but the new windshield is water tested and installed. I need new wiper blades to complete. New tires will be in this week so they will get mounted on the new Fuch's. Follow up with good cleaning and she'll be ready for WCR15. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Lugs nuts all prettied up

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 13 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #584

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice! I bet it's like you don't even have a windshield in. Clear as a bell. I like the way yours is evolving. You're using it and just making little changes here and there. 2700 miles...of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 18 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #585

Your so right, Chris. I drove facing into the sun yesterday and it was as clear as a bell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I finally got around to getting some tires mounted on the Fuch's I bought from Larmo. I went with 195/65's, which are larger than the 165/80's I had on there. Meet Mr. Inertia. I can feel it when accelarating or coasting. Also the break is MUCH more pronounced than previously. When it broke loose with the small tires you could feel it coming on early. More tire, more grip. As you can see in the pic's, there is very little difference in diameter's.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And when I replaced the windshield I also replaced the vinyl and pad. I used Mark's product (914rubber.com) and was impressed. The foam is different in structure but I love the substantial "feel" it lends to the installation plus it is easy to install. Just lay it out, weigh it down then trace out the cut lines by pressing down on the foam against the raised steel edges. In the pic's you can see where I pressed down to reveal the cut lines then followed up with the felt tip. I cut the vinyl using the old piece as a template then stuffed the edges in with a slim flat piece of metal. (It's really a chip chaser but worked great. It's the one with the green handle) Now I need the new dash that Mark is making along with a carpet kit and the interior will be finished. When I say finished, I mean that in the Mike Bellis sense! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Next I added a bit more Dynamat to the interior firewall and on the gas tank bulkhead.

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 18 2015, 10:17 AM
Post #586

Attached Image

And then to TOP everything off (punn intended) I added these little topper from Mikey

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 18 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #587

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looking good bud! Can't wait for the new Dashes from 914 rubber. Long time in coming those (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 27 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #588

Me too, Jamie. But we've waited this long; what's a few month's? Mark took on a huge project that has "someone else" pulling his hair out I'll bet Mark will get it right before he starts taking money. Harumfff! And speaking of waiting. I've treated Kugel as if he were my Red Headed step child for far too long. That being said; something I've lusted over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) too many times. Proper mirrors. Only one question, though. Do I need to by a Rolex and leather jacket to "rub elbows" with this Real Mirror crowd? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And if one add CP mirrors I assume this is the next step. A real antennae.

Attached Image

A couple of door switch seals.

Attached Image

As long as I'm inside the door I need to start insulating and sealing things up. I'll start with the door. No room for insulation but a vapor barrier helps some.

Attached Image

But I believe this will be most beneficial; .5" insulation. I didn't place any on the firewall as it would interfere with installing the back pad.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Since I went to the trouble of pulling all of this old shit out I guess I should install some new carpet. I don't believe it appears the same colour in any of these pic's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The fit was excellent. Attaching the grommets to the posts were like stretching a gnat's ass over a rain barrel but they hold the carpet in place quite well.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 27 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #589

more

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And why this concern for insulation? Well it has something to do with this thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) More on this, soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 27 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #590

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Nice work.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 27 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #591

CCCCOOL

Anyone who owned a VW in the mid-late '70's might get the hidden message (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 28 2015, 12:34 AM
Post #592

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 6 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #593

My 2nd condenser arrived this afternoon 3 days early. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I ordered the 1st one too small out of ignorance. It might have been large enough but it would have chocked down the air flow to the radiator tremendously. This one is about 1.5" more narrow than my radiator. So here are some pics of my 1st test fit of the condenser.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The compressor is ready to plumb in once I locate this 22mm suction fitting. The male one in the pic is 15mm. The suction port on the pump is 22mm. Now I need to order hose, fittings, evaporator and dryer.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 7 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #594

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 26 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #595

I was finally able to locate that large AC fitting, so it was time to order hose and fittings. This was 3 evenings of perusing the internet and this is what I learned. These are the type tube used; steel, aluminum, SS, barrier hose, reduced barrier hose, Aeroquip, BurgaSeal aka BurgaClip. I was attracted to BurgaSeal because of the No-tools needed but those in the know said "Forget about it"! You could go broke using Aeroquip, I can't weld SS or Al so that left me with barrier hose. The reduced barrier hose is more $$ and allows tighter turns than plain barrier hose. I've since found the plain barrier hose turns quite enough for my needs. With that choice made I am left with 2 types of fittings to choose from; Barbed or BeadLock. Again, those in the know have suggested Beadlock as it is the Industry standard. This was a good choice (that happens when you take the pro's suggestions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) as it turns out because of the big selection of fittings. I don't know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) from Apple Butter about AC & fumbled about trying to create an order for fittings. I finally decided to order the hose first then "discover" what fittings I will need.

This is the #10,#8 & # 6 Hose I will need.

Attached Image

This is where I want to run them.

Attached Image

There are two factory holes in the gussets. The upper one needs to be enlarged for the hose.

Attached Image

And as you go forward the long flares out with the clam shell so it gets drilled.

Attached Image

The other side of the clamshell drilled and with a hose now passing thru it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 26 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #596

Then down and back under the car following the curvature of the seam. I'm holding it the way it will stay once anchored. After that it turns into the wheel well and I'll show that after the fittings arrive.

Attached Image

Loosely in place you can see the Suction line hanging beneath the front of the door and the 2 lines curving around the rear and up into the engine compartment.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Across the engine

Attached Image

And then tie into these 2 lines. More in the next few days as fittings arrive.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 26 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #597

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Watching! What are you doing to connect the old fittings to the new lines?

What exact condenser did you go with?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 27 2015, 07:17 AM
Post #598

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

And where did you order the barrier hose from? Do tell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 27 2015, 09:11 AM
Post #599

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 26 2015, 09:56 PM) *

Watching! What are you doing to connect the old fittings to the new lines?

What exact condenser did you go with?

Andrew, there are couplings for this. They are called line splicers and AFAIK are available in all sizes including reducing sizes. I'll be using a variant of these which incorporates the 134 test ports for the hi/lo sides. I'm using the OEM Suby compressor but if you will have to buy aftermarket I'd recommend Sanden compressors. Great aftermarket support. Or the OEM compressor that came on your engine.

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 27 2015, 06:17 AM) *

And where did you order the barrier hose from? Do tell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Stephan, on Ebay. IIRC, a seller named johnsjoy in Bedford, TX. He's a vet and combines orders to save on shipping. I'll post his info and the materials used a little later. BTW, your clutch plate shipped yesterday. You should have it Fri or Sat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 27 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #600

What does this guy think he is...a plumber or something? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Kent what are you going to control the setup with? The stock Subaru controls? Can't remember. Looking good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) .
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 03:50 AM