Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion, or a primer on "How to convert your 914 to a Subaru 3.0"
76-914
post Jun 3 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #72

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Chris, I'd have to agree with you on the wiring harness being a PITA. This is the starting point for me. After my daughter's graduation, family and entourage left 5/22. Miss them but it was time to begin the all out assault on the Suby. I was pussy footing around the first week or so, then out came the sawzall. I never would have been able remove the dash w/o one. Just like any predator I began at the rear and worked my way forward. I try to gather as much info on my own as possible before posting on the Suby boards. Those guy's will flame you in a second. Makes me appreciate each one of you guy's here. So, I began with exposing and removing the wiring from everything that is not conditional to the engine running. i.e I pull a plug and start the car. If it doesn't start I reconnect just that plug and move on to the next while identifying each wire as I go.
This is the harness that passes along the lower R side. Upper R side is Moon and Sun Roof wiring which I won't be using. This harness catches the rear running lights, rear washer & WW's, fuel pump/sender, misc evap vac/press sensors, and rear door motors/switches/locks.

Attached Image

Here it passes alongside the rear psg seat and on to the rear. The access ports for the fuel sender and fuel pump are shown here. The harness that feeds this wraps around the back seat and then enters on the rear L side???? Seems the long way around but.........

Attached Image

Some carnage shots. After all this I am to the point of pulling the engine. Did anyone notice the gage cluster is removed. Cars still starts and runs. Blew my mind. FWIW, the yellow harness' are the air bag/restraint system. Also, plastic squirt and roof drain lines are overhead L side along with most audio lines. Good idea! Separate power and water as well as RF interference.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 3 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #73

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

You guys who re-purpose the wiring harness and all that have a LOT more smarts and courage than I do. I used to look down on guys who threw tools when they were frustrated, but if I had that in my garage I think I'd have to re-think all that, because I'm pretty sure tools would be thrown.

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 3 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You're doing great Kent! I failed to mark many of the interior wires which is really biting me in the arse right now. Label every flipping wire man. It's worth it in the end. If you end up cutting them later that's OK. Still worth the investment. Otherwise you lose your "bearings" on what part of the wiring harness is what...if it's all labeled you can confidently trim it down bit by bit til you end up with only what you need.
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Jun 3 2013, 05:13 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 13,264
Region Association: Canada

I have an eg33 that will be going into my westfalia and there is a company called Small car that has wiring harness modification directions. I know this is for westfalias but it should work for what your doing too.

From the website-
"This kit enables a person with some wiring ability and lots of time to take a Subaru "bulkhead" wiring harness, remove a large number of connectors and wires, splice and add some wiring and end up with just what is necessary to run the engine in another vehicle. These wiring kits are unique to each Subaru year and model. Please note that this kit is a guide for harness modification and not a step by step manual. The expected time commitment to convert a harness is 20-40 hours for the first timer."

Jon
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jun 3 2013, 05:34 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Got a friend that is selling a 99k 2003 EZ30D with the wiring harness and computer for $1000. I told him that was a hell of a deal. I would not pull the harness for that price.
I think the best thing to do would just use the connectors. Make your own from scratch.

Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jun 3 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

Cool!
This is the best part of the trip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 3 2013, 08:59 PM
Post #78

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 3 2013, 03:16 PM) *

You're doing great Kent! I failed to mark many of the interior wires which is really biting me in the arse right now. Label every flipping wire man. It's worth it in the end. If you end up cutting them later that's OK. Still worth the investment. Otherwise you lose your "bearings" on what part of the wiring harness is what...if it's all labeled you can confidently trim it down bit by bit til you end up with only what you need.

You read my mind Chris. And this car had incandescent bulbs originally so shouldn't be any weird surprises. I'm using the Suby rear view which has an auto dimming feature for the headlights in the mirror syndrome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I am using the suby sun visors which can swivel to the side. If the side mirrors weren't so big I'd use those. Going in for the bun warmers too. My wife's one request. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

QUOTE(Jon H. @ Jun 3 2013, 04:13 PM) *

I have an eg33 that will be going into my westfalia and there is a company called Small car that has wiring harness modification directions. I know this is for westfalias but it should work for what your doing too.

From the website-
"This kit enables a person with some wiring ability and lots of time to take a Subaru "bulkhead" wiring harness, remove a large number of connectors and wires, splice and add some wiring and end up with just what is necessary to run the engine in another vehicle. These wiring kits are unique to each Subaru year and model. Please note that this kit is a guide for harness modification and not a step by step manual. The expected time commitment to convert a harness is 20-40 hours for the first timer."

Jon

Yea. I considered that route but I've read too many threads where people like me stumble and fall on their face when trying to program the ECU, which you didn't mention. Add $1500 for the ECU. The wiring should be tedious but doable.

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 3 2013, 04:34 PM) *

Got a friend that is selling a 99k 2003 EZ30D with the wiring harness and computer for $1000. I told him that was a hell of a deal. I would not pull the harness for that price.
I think the best thing to do would just use the connectors. Make your own from scratch.

Thx for that info that you sent, Bob. BTW, what is the proper sequence for removing the bolys from that 58 bolt cover? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) If I lived close to you I would attempt that but I don't know shit from apple butter when it comes to any FI other than DJet. I'd just end up having someone hold my hand through the whole process. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I may end up going that route but I hope this works. I'd feel better knowing that some 40 yr old wire is being replaced with something newer, too.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 3 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #79

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 3 2013, 03:16 PM) *

You read my mind Chris. And this car had incandescent bulbs originally so shouldn't be any weird surprises. I'm using the Suby rear view which has an auto dimming feature for the headlights in the mirror syndrome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I am using the suby sun visors which can swivel to the side. If the side mirrors weren't so big I'd use those. Going in for the bun warmers too. My wife's one request. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

QUOTE(Jon H. @ Jun 3 2013, 04:13 PM) *

From the website-

Jon

Yea. I considered that route but I've read too many threads where people like me stumble and fall on their face when trying to program the ECU, which you didn't mention. Add $1500 for the ECU. The wiring should be tedious but doable.

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 3 2013, 04:34 PM) *

Thx for that info that you sent, Bob. BTW, what is the proper sequence for removing the bolys from that 58 bolt cover? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) If I lived close to you I would attempt that but I don't know shit from apple butter when it comes to any FI other than DJet. I'd just end up having someone hold my hand through the whole process. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I may end up going that route but I hope this works. I'd feel better knowing that some 40 yr old wire is being replaced with something newer, too.
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Jun 4 2013, 04:41 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 13,264
Region Association: Canada

Program the ECU? I didn't know I had to do that either. I never came across that in my research. I sure don't need that extra expense.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 4 2013, 06:54 AM
Post #81

If you bought an aftermarket ECU from a company like Outfront it will have a good map already installed. They'll ask you about your engine, any performance modifications, and put in one that will get you up and running well enough that in most cases you won't even need to change anything. Then you can fine tune and pick up some additional power with an hour of dyno time. That's what I did, and had them make the engine harness too, no big deal. If it's a Megasquirt or some other ECU not from Outfront you can usually get a base map from the vendor or someone else for free, then either do the fine tuning yourself (an EXCELLENT learning experience and well worth the aggravation) or pay for an hour or two of dyno time to have it tuned for you. The OEM ECU will have the Subaru map installed, so no issue there.

It's a trade really, the work of modifying an OEM ECU and harness against the expense of buying an aftermarket ECU, harness and dyno time. With an aftermarket ECU you'll have probably better tunability and a leaner car, because you can't incorporate all the features that can come with the OEM equipment. But of course with the OEM you get a tested and proven system that's long-term robust, where a Subaru mechanic or dealership won't be lost if you need help somewhere. As long as your work modifying the OEM harness was done well, anyway.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 15 2013, 08:57 AM
Post #82

Some very good points, DB. I had already formulated my plan before I found out about this option or that Mega Squirt has the 3.0 mapped out, now. Leave it to me to find the most difficult way to do something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Between a very busy work schedule and the NBA Finals, I finally got this sucker pulled. There has been a lot of work going on but nothing to post that would reflect that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Thanks to Ethan and his Dad, Paul for the loan of the cherry picker. Next up is re- sealing this engine where it has a few small oil leaks, then on to the actual fitment. The leaks seem to be on the lower corners of the heads. Those corner bolts were loose, also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) The timing chain cover appears to have a small leak, too.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I used My "Andy Lens" for this shot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tilly74
post Jun 15 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 14,522

Congrats on all the hard work! Will be watching this build closely!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 17 2013, 08:48 AM
Post #84

Well I finally got the last wiring harness out. If and when I get this sorted out (thought I'd give myself some breathing room in case this is over my head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) I expect the harness should be about the same size as the teeners. Notice the rear view mirror in the pic. It has an auto dimming feature which should be the Cats Ass in a teener. It was a Royal PITA to remove it w/o cutting it. Hope it pays off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) When taking this pic today I was once again questioning my sanity. Is this project bigger than me? What was I thinking? Then I tell myself to compartmentalize things and take a deep breath. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Anyway, the cannibalization of the donor is over and it's time to see what fits.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 17 2013, 09:07 AM
Post #85

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Dear God.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 17 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Kent, I know that feeling but you are doing great. You have no idea how much time you saved by labeling the harness so well. Another tip is DO NOT un-bundle the harness and unravel all the electrical tape at once. Just dissect it one plug at a time. Pick the wires you don't need and cut them out, pull them through the harness, done. Mine is a knotted mess now. The good news is I don't plan to use most of the body harness after all so most will be thrown away. It was pretty weathered and probably worse for wear than the 914 one. Yours looks pretty fresh!
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jun 17 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 10,305

Piece of cake. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Learn how to open the connectors before you start cutting wires.
They are all different but kind of the same.
Is that rear view mirror controlled by the integrated module?
The integrated module was a mystery box for me. I think it controls the dimmer on the dash. I finally deleted it. Looks like you have everything you need, hope you get the mirror working (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
In the end, if you need some extra Bg, Ry, Wr,… wire, let me know I may have some extra.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 17 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #88

Thanks guys, good info. And I hope that I pulled off the turboencabulator that controls the mirror, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'll bet those wires are in the 35lb arena. I'll probably get $50 just for the scrap copper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I need to get those harness' attached to my "work station", spread out and disected. I'll need to build a frame for the engine but need to buy a tranny so I can mount the starter and on and on and on. It will be a long road. I need to hear it run and check out the electrical before I start stripping the wiring from the 914. Some days I wish I knew what I was doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 18 2013, 05:48 AM
Post #89

What I thought was an intelligent way of organizing things:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net-2618-1371556112.1.jpg)

He does it regularly, of course, so it's kind of a production tool, but it still made sense to me as a way of keeping things sorted.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 18 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #90

That's pretty much what I have planned except vertical. I don't have enough room otherwise. I plan to use the garage door (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 27 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #91

Needed something to do but I have the engine cleaned up and awaiting some seals. Then Aircraft Spruce sold me the wrong size 4130 tube so I can't start making motor mounts. (Notice how I blamed ACS. That felt good. Kinda relieves one of that nagging feeling brought on by accountability.) Herschel came by and picked up the Subaru skeleton today so that's done. Then I remembered the shock kit that Elyut sold me. Smoking deal, thx.
Left rear

Attached Image

Attached Image

right rear

Attached Image

left front

Attached Image

right front

Attached Image

I've always had a clunk as the rear lid was raised and lowered but basically ignored it. After I removed the old torsion bars and rollers I was able to see this. And before you say anything those are not my welds. Mine aren't nearly that good. I knew this area needed to be cleaned up but hadn't expected this. What is supposed to be there? A bearing? A bolt? A nut? I'll find out when I pull it apart I guess.

Attached Image

The right side is gut sans the welds again. These welds look like someone tried to stick weld them on. Surely not factory. I have this side to reference if I don't get an answer.

Attached Image

So Saturday I'll head back to ACS for the correct size 4130 tube to begin the motor mounts. This will be totally out of my league but Ian won't have any for a few month's (if ever) and I ain't getting any younger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) That being said, what are the target dimensions for the engine height wise if I'm going with the suby 5mt tranny. TIA
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:17 PM