Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion, or a primer on "How to convert your 914 to a Subaru 3.0"
DBCooper
post Jun 4 2013, 06:54 AM
Post #81

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

If you bought an aftermarket ECU from a company like Outfront it will have a good map already installed. They'll ask you about your engine, any performance modifications, and put in one that will get you up and running well enough that in most cases you won't even need to change anything. Then you can fine tune and pick up some additional power with an hour of dyno time. That's what I did, and had them make the engine harness too, no big deal. If it's a Megasquirt or some other ECU not from Outfront you can usually get a base map from the vendor or someone else for free, then either do the fine tuning yourself (an EXCELLENT learning experience and well worth the aggravation) or pay for an hour or two of dyno time to have it tuned for you. The OEM ECU will have the Subaru map installed, so no issue there.

It's a trade really, the work of modifying an OEM ECU and harness against the expense of buying an aftermarket ECU, harness and dyno time. With an aftermarket ECU you'll have probably better tunability and a leaner car, because you can't incorporate all the features that can come with the OEM equipment. But of course with the OEM you get a tested and proven system that's long-term robust, where a Subaru mechanic or dealership won't be lost if you need help somewhere. As long as your work modifying the OEM harness was done well, anyway.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 15 2013, 08:57 AM
Post #82

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Some very good points, DB. I had already formulated my plan before I found out about this option or that Mega Squirt has the 3.0 mapped out, now. Leave it to me to find the most difficult way to do something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Between a very busy work schedule and the NBA Finals, I finally got this sucker pulled. There has been a lot of work going on but nothing to post that would reflect that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Thanks to Ethan and his Dad, Paul for the loan of the cherry picker. Next up is re- sealing this engine where it has a few small oil leaks, then on to the actual fitment. The leaks seem to be on the lower corners of the heads. Those corner bolts were loose, also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) The timing chain cover appears to have a small leak, too.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I used My "Andy Lens" for this shot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tilly74
post Jun 15 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 14,522
Region Association: None

Congrats on all the hard work! Will be watching this build closely!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 17 2013, 08:48 AM
Post #84

Well I finally got the last wiring harness out. If and when I get this sorted out (thought I'd give myself some breathing room in case this is over my head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) I expect the harness should be about the same size as the teeners. Notice the rear view mirror in the pic. It has an auto dimming feature which should be the Cats Ass in a teener. It was a Royal PITA to remove it w/o cutting it. Hope it pays off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) When taking this pic today I was once again questioning my sanity. Is this project bigger than me? What was I thinking? Then I tell myself to compartmentalize things and take a deep breath. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Anyway, the cannibalization of the donor is over and it's time to see what fits.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 17 2013, 09:07 AM
Post #85

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Dear God.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 17 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Kent, I know that feeling but you are doing great. You have no idea how much time you saved by labeling the harness so well. Another tip is DO NOT un-bundle the harness and unravel all the electrical tape at once. Just dissect it one plug at a time. Pick the wires you don't need and cut them out, pull them through the harness, done. Mine is a knotted mess now. The good news is I don't plan to use most of the body harness after all so most will be thrown away. It was pretty weathered and probably worse for wear than the 914 one. Yours looks pretty fresh!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jun 17 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

Piece of cake. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Learn how to open the connectors before you start cutting wires.
They are all different but kind of the same.
Is that rear view mirror controlled by the integrated module?
The integrated module was a mystery box for me. I think it controls the dimmer on the dash. I finally deleted it. Looks like you have everything you need, hope you get the mirror working (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
In the end, if you need some extra Bg, Ry, Wr,… wire, let me know I may have some extra.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 17 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #88

Thanks guys, good info. And I hope that I pulled off the turboencabulator that controls the mirror, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'll bet those wires are in the 35lb arena. I'll probably get $50 just for the scrap copper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I need to get those harness' attached to my "work station", spread out and disected. I'll need to build a frame for the engine but need to buy a tranny so I can mount the starter and on and on and on. It will be a long road. I need to hear it run and check out the electrical before I start stripping the wiring from the 914. Some days I wish I knew what I was doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 18 2013, 05:48 AM
Post #89

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

What I thought was an intelligent way of organizing things:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net-2618-1371556112.1.jpg)

He does it regularly, of course, so it's kind of a production tool, but it still made sense to me as a way of keeping things sorted.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 18 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #90

That's pretty much what I have planned except vertical. I don't have enough room otherwise. I plan to use the garage door (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 27 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #91

Needed something to do but I have the engine cleaned up and awaiting some seals. Then Aircraft Spruce sold me the wrong size 4130 tube so I can't start making motor mounts. (Notice how I blamed ACS. That felt good. Kinda relieves one of that nagging feeling brought on by accountability.) Herschel came by and picked up the Subaru skeleton today so that's done. Then I remembered the shock kit that Elyut sold me. Smoking deal, thx.
Left rear

Attached Image

Attached Image

right rear

Attached Image

left front

Attached Image

right front

Attached Image

I've always had a clunk as the rear lid was raised and lowered but basically ignored it. After I removed the old torsion bars and rollers I was able to see this. And before you say anything those are not my welds. Mine aren't nearly that good. I knew this area needed to be cleaned up but hadn't expected this. What is supposed to be there? A bearing? A bolt? A nut? I'll find out when I pull it apart I guess.

Attached Image

The right side is gut sans the welds again. These welds look like someone tried to stick weld them on. Surely not factory. I have this side to reference if I don't get an answer.

Attached Image

So Saturday I'll head back to ACS for the correct size 4130 tube to begin the motor mounts. This will be totally out of my league but Ian won't have any for a few month's (if ever) and I ain't getting any younger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) That being said, what are the target dimensions for the engine height wise if I'm going with the suby 5mt tranny. TIA
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 10 2013, 07:53 AM
Post #92

The 4130 tube arrived so it was time to get Blackie up and start with the mount. Besides I need the room to weld in the new trunk hinge when it arrives. I bought a 4x4 and ran a dado cut down it to accept the flange on the bottom of the longs. Flame on.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

No, I am not making the cradle from wood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Just trying to visualize.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I had planned to heat bend the tube but proved to be a PIA. Too tricky to keep below 1500F and I don't have any means to heat treat so it was off to HF. With my coupon I walked out with this for $79. Out of the dark ages now.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The first pieces. Next is to locate some bushing stock or some 5/16 weld tabs (if they make such a thing).

Attached Image

PS, Blackie is getting a new name. Just discovered that name is already in use. His new name is Frank.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 10 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #93

Not sure about the 3.0 but the stock 3.3 manifolds were way too long. I got headers from Bob that sit very close to the engine underneath. Perfect fit, but I might have to cut one of the braces on my Ian mount for that reason. Might want to make sure you don't weld any bracing in that area.

Put some jack stands under that car brotha! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Just for backup!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 11 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #94

Hey Chris (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) , I thought about that so I will pick up the collector from Outfront and fit it to the engine before fabbing that part. I also need to check the cradle for clearance of the 1/2 shafts as well as ground clearance of the exhaust. The jack stands get in the way with what I am doing just now. It is very stable as it sits now. I had a crazy idea last nite. I think I will look at modifying the cradle to accept casters that would drop in/out. It would be nice to slap on the casters, lower the cradle onto the floor and roll in/out. How's your project coming along?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 11 2013, 10:22 AM
Post #95

I received the trunk hinge from Restoration Design (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) so I took a break from the engine cradle to attack this.

Attached Image

I had noticed the mud dauber welds earlier and then found that the hinge had rusted thru also. After grinding down the old welds and removing the old hinge it looked like this

Attached Image

But a close up reveals a crappy previous repair as well as brazing...........

Attached Image

Attached Image

I'll need to get this area cleaned up and I'll beef up this area before welding in the replacement piece.

Check out the Key Chain I received from Restoration Design. Coooooooooool.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 11 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #96

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 11 2013, 10:58 AM) *

Hey Chris (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) , I thought about that so I will pick up the collector from Outfront and fit it to the engine before fabbing that part. I also need to check the cradle for clearance of the 1/2 shafts as well as ground clearance of the exhaust. The jack stands get in the way with what I am doing just now. It is very stable as it sits now. I had a crazy idea last nite. I think I will look at modifying the cradle to accept casters that would drop in/out. It would be nice to slap on the casters, lower the cradle onto the floor and roll in/out. How's your project coming along?

Bob did a nice job on the exhaust I bought from him. Check out his blog. It also has pics of his mount.

Great idea on the casters. That way you won't dread dropping the engine. Seems like it would be easy to do. My gut is telling me there is NO WAY I did everything right so far, so I expect to drop the engine and trans at least a couple of times. On my project I've been working on the 5 lug conversion. Should be done this weekend. Then I have to decide if I drop the engine and trans and start the install or keep it as is and take it to Garold's before the swap. Great work! Keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 11 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #97

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 11 2013, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 11 2013, 10:58 AM) *

Bob did a nice job on the exhaust I bought from him. Check out his blog. It also has pics of his mount.

Great idea on the casters. That way you won't dread dropping the engine. Seems like it would be easy to do. My gut is telling me there is NO WAY I did everything right so far, so I expect to drop the engine and trans at least a couple of times. On my project I've been working on the 5 lug conversion. Should be done this weekend. Then I have to decide if I drop the engine and trans and start the install or keep it as is and take it to Garold's before the swap. Great work! Keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I think I finally discovered Bob's build at NARP. I was reading the ScoobyDo forum and saw that Blue car and realized BK was Bob. Damn he does nice work. He also said something about changing that exhaust setup so I've been (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) . We need to send a reporter to document his next build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 11 2013, 08:18 PM
Post #98

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your "jack stands" scare me.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 13 2013, 06:43 PM
Post #99

I ground out all the brazing from a previous repair then filled holes and ground them down. This is the last of the welded holes.

Attached Image

Ready for weld thru primer.

Attached Image

Reinforcement piece 18ga.

Attached Image

Reinforcement piece welded in

Attached Image

Primed with weld thru. Ready for the hinge piece to be welded to it now.

Attached Image

Here's the new one. Thanks Restoration Design.

Attached Image

Primed and ready to have the nut from the back side welded in

Attached Image

Welded in place. It's ugly but substantial. It's a bitch to get that tip in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Attached Image

And everything welded/primed and ready for the lid to be mounted, shocks slipped on make any adjustments necessary. The motion of the trunk lid is now smooth as a baby's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) .

Attached Image

With that out of the way it's time to get back to the motor mount. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) This thing is going to have it's way with me but eventually (aka more $$) I'll get it. It's a start stop scenario so bear with me.
I took some 1/4"x 4" sq plates and used the Subaru piece as a guide. After I made the slots in each piece I realized that it wasn't necessary. A solitary hole would have been fine but now I have a little more wiggle room.

Attached Image

A quick test fit

Attached Image

Attached Image

One is the mirror image of the other so using 2 of the 4 bolt holes the plates are bolted together and the 1st piece is the template for the other.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The plates in place

Attached Image

Attached Image

I need the engine level to get these next measurements.

Attached Image

Right & left motor mounts are at 32 degrees.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Well I'm at the stopping point again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . I need the exhaust flanges before I can go any further with the cradle so I stuck some pieces up just for shits n grins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 20 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #100

Yippie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Picked up a tranny from an 03 WRX 2.0T, 74K miles., pressure plate, throw out bearing, some 1/2 shafts he threw in (away). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) This will help answer my cradle questions. Bottom line is that the center line off the 1/2 shafts is roughly at the bottom of the heads. Porcharu is sending me some majic flanges in a few weeks, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Only one pair left!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:13 AM