Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project Time! 71 garage build, Broke a Valve Spring...
3d914
post Jan 19 2013, 07:28 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 19 2013, 01:14 PM) *

Next wiring question.
On the 12 pin relay board harness, what is the white cable labeled Aux Air Valve?

Thanks!!

David, The auxiliary air valve is the cold-start air source. It has a single 12v wire going to it. The air valve is mounted next to the air plenum (box) - forward & slightly left. I'll have to check my schematics to verify wire color. (Verified wire is white and comes from the 5-wire connector at the rear-right of the relay board)

Making good progress. Keep it up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 19 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #42

beach bum

Member No.: 14,538
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(3d914 @ Jan 19 2013, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 19 2013, 01:14 PM) *

Next wiring question.
On the 12 pin relay board harness, what is the white cable labeled Aux Air Valve?

Thanks!!

David, The auxiliary air valve is the cold-start air source. It has a single 12v wire going to it. The air valve is mounted next to the air plenum (box) - forward & slightly left. I'll have to check my schematics to verify wire color. (Verified wire is white and comes from the 5-wire connector at the rear-right of the relay board)

Making good progress. Keep it up.

So if i have carbs and no air box i have no need for this wire correct?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 19 2013, 09:54 PM
Post #43

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Correct.

You gonna be home tomorrow? ... I can bring up a motorcycle jack if you want to drop the drive train ...
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 19 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #44

beach bum

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 19 2013, 07:54 PM) *

Correct.

You gonna be home tomorrow? ... I can bring up a motorcycle jack if you want to drop the drive train ...

Mark, that would be f***ing awesome of you! I will be home all day tomorrow, and be up and ready to go by 10am. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Lunch will be on me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 20 2013, 07:25 PM
Post #45

beach bum

Alright! So yesterday i messed around with some of the wiring harnesses. The 71 had the ends cut off so sliced them off the 72 and soldered and heat shrink tubed all the individual wires together.

CUT
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358731498.1.jpg)

PASTE
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358731499.2.jpg)

ORGANIZE
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358731499.3.jpg)

After that hooked it up to the relay board and plugged in the battery to do some minor test. Both headlights were put in and work fine, taillights work, flashers work, fuel sender works (but is week, need to tidy up the solders at the plug), the left turn signal works but the right is not quite working. when i flip the lever up for right turn signal is clicks once and then nothing. If i held the lever in the middle right before it would go to the staying up position, it would stay on.... any ideas.

Now moving on to some more exciting shit, Mark (euro911) came over today and we got the engine out of the 72!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358731499.4.jpg)

Now me and my roommate are going to pull valve covers off and see if we can find a source of the knocking we heard when it ran for 1 minute last week. if nothing we will proceed to the head and pull that sucker off...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 20 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #46

The new tub looks good so far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Don't forget to pick up a triple square for your CV bolts. I don't remember what size they take (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If I was a smart feller, I would have brought a set (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 20 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #47

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492

Hey David, I noticed that the heat shrink on your splices have glue inside. The glue is part of the tube right? Where did you get it? Locally?
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 21 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #48

beach bum

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 20 2013, 09:28 PM) *

Hey David, I noticed that the heat shrink on your splices have glue inside. The glue is part of the tube right? Where did you get it? Locally?

Ya they are the best heat shrink tubes, they release an adhesive/sealant when heated up. I got a variety pack/container from HF, only cost about $5 for a 42pc set.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358748456.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 21 2013, 12:24 AM
Post #49

Twodollardoug

Right on. Thank you. Your car is coming along great. I saw you swapped front ends. When your ready let me know and i will come out and help you do a four wheel alignment. I did mine at home by using 4 jackstands and fishing line. It drives straight as an arrow. I did the camber with a protractor. We can aling your car in a few hours.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 21 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #50

beach bum

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 20 2013, 08:09 PM) *

The new tub looks good so far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Don't forget to pick up a triple square for your CV bolts. I don't remember what size they take (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If I was a smart feller, I would have brought a set (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Thats ok! I need a set anyways, me and grant got the valve covers off and removed the rockers and pushrods, everything in there looked really good, only one blemish on one of the pushrods. Need everyones opinion on it. Its flush with the rest, just dulled in color....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358749592.1.jpg)

Heres all of the rockers and push rods out, bagged, and labeled. Will do more engine work tomorrow.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358749593.2.jpg)

Thanks again Mark for the help today, couldn't have do it without you, or at least in that amount of time, and correctly!
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 21 2013, 12:38 AM
Post #51

beach bum

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 20 2013, 10:24 PM) *

Right on. Thank you. Your car is coming along great. I saw you swapped front ends. When your ready let me know and i will come out and help you do a four wheel alignment. I did mine at home by using 4 jackstands and fishing line. It drives straight as an arrow. I did the camber with a protractor. We can aling your car in a few hours.

Thats awesome, thanks, I will definitely take you up on that when im ready (will save me $100!!)

My plan is to have this car finished enough to drive down to san diego where I'm from and where my parents still live for spring break (mid March.) So an alignment will be need just before that!

Also, side note, I will eventually be putting the car back to its original color, L 21E, Tangerine Orange, and am very excited for that when the time comes, i really like that color. I have the whole paint scheme worked out in my head. My rims are currently powder coated white from the factory (off a 924 turbo brumos edition) but i hate it, love the rims not the color, so i will get them re-powder coated some shade of gray, will go really well with the orange. will have black or grey interior and cant decide on the engine tin, either black, grey, or tangerine..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) hmmmmm

well thats all i have for now, need to start my homework, im really behind since i have spent every waking hour of saturday and sunday working on the car, wooops. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 21 2013, 01:19 AM
Post #52

... and post a want ad for the side shift components. Hopefully something will show up before you are ready to install the drive train into the 'new' car
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 22 2013, 01:43 AM
Post #53

beach bum

Didnt get much done with the car today, since it was a three day weekend, monday became my sunday and i had a good amount of homework to do. BUT i did put the rear susp back on the '72, so it is now a full rolling car (and there is no e-brake conected, so once it starts rollin it aint gonna stop easily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) But i am one step closer to getting it out of my garage and getting my new babe, the 71 inside before next monday (whether man says rain is coming!)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358840591.1.jpg)

Anyone have any ideas about the odd dulling of one of the pushrods, pictured a few posts up..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 22 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #54

James D. Lane

Member No.: 15,210
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 20 2013, 11:24 PM) *

DO you have a posting on here that describes the "at home" 4 wheel alignment?
James
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Jan 22 2013, 09:04 AM
Post #55

Pleepleus

Member No.: 9,206
Region Association: Northern California

Anyone have any ideas about the odd dulling of one of the pushrods, pictured a few posts up..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
[/quote]

It is from the spring that holds the lifters in place. It was not installed perfectly and rubbed the pushrod. If there is no real wear / loss of material you should be fine to reuse it.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 22 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #56

beach bum

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jan 22 2013, 07:04 AM) *

It is from the spring that holds the lifters in place. It was not installed perfectly and rubbed the pushrod. If there is no real wear / loss of material you should be fine to reuse it.

Cool, thanks for the info!
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 22 2013, 01:45 PM
Post #57

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 22 2013, 06:11 AM) *

James

Bummer. The website is gone. I'll keep looking. I gotta find it again.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 22 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #58

beach bum

Got the Rear wheels on! she's half way to being able to roll around. fitment with stock fenders and 205 tires is gonna be close (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but i think it will fit just perfectly. Will be flaring front and rear eventually anyways.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358884847.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1358884848.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 22 2013, 02:08 PM
Post #59

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 22 2013, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 22 2013, 06:11 AM) *

James

Bummer. The website is gone. I'll keep looking. I gotta find it again.

Yup, the web site i used is gone. But this is the thread i found it it. This thread should give you a pretty good idea on how to do it. And the stock adjustment numbers should be in the Haynes manual. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...125788&st=0
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 22 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #60

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have one one of those wheels was new, now just sitting outside, If you really like those and I sell mark my 64 911 flywheel, I wll ship it to you.
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:16 AM