Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bernie Bergmann Turbo Kit, anyone seen one?
Mikey914
post Jan 22 2013, 12:19 AM
Post #41

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Technically none of the motors were tre 914's. They have type 2 motors (or at least doghouses) or Subies,
so you can't turbo a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 22 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #42

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Type IV motors in 914s, not Type II.

--DD
+Quote Post
daniel_best1
post Mar 24 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 15,691

Im in london and own brand new never used only run on a bench 2276 blow thru bernie bergmann turbo with dell orto carbs,,I bought from someone who imported it from california to use in his speedster that he planned to build but he never got round to it cause of other problems,,I now have it to go into a custom state of the art buggy,maybe put it into a speedster later..there is an exact same engine in a green speedster on youtube.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Mar 24 2013, 12:24 PM
Post #44

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

turbo

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 24 2013, 09:17 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 15 2013, 06:26 PM) *

MSDS turbo kit;

Maltese Falcon on the left Blu Kyle on the right, in my first shop in
Mar Vista.
Many type four kits sold/installed in those early days .
You can't turbo a 914, (surely not phrased by Greg Brown/Les Bidrawn) but our kits sure did put Msds on the map!
The pressurized Bergman kits were ok as long as the carb throttle shafts were o-ringed.
Sandals are still cool in So Cal !
Marty
+Quote Post
get off my lawn
post Mar 26 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 13,462

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2013, 06:08 PM) *

Wasn't it Jenny's brother who started it...?

Nope. It was Dave Darling who first told me you can't turbo a type 4 because it would run too hot and drop valve seats. IIRC that was on the renegade site.

That was a really long time ago and it got turbo'd and never got that hot or dropped a valve seat.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 26 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #47

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 27 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Attached Image
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 16 2013, 09:59 AM) *

gotta love the 2 techs in jeff's post. sandals!!! muttonchops are, were, groovy.

The tech on the left would hook you up with one of these 911-Punisher kits , and the tech on the right would have it installed in a day. Or you could have one shipped as well. The beer can on the ignition coil was back from the day as well.
Marty
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Mar 27 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #49

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Fun thread.

"You can't turbo a 914" falls into the same category as "That's not a real Porsche"

The real 914 people just laugh and keep on enjoying our cars.

John
+Quote Post
moggy
post Mar 28 2013, 08:42 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 3,285

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2013, 01:33 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914.

You also can't supercharge a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-3285-1364481745.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Porscheman
post May 4 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 17,255

QUOTE(get off my lawn @ Jan 15 2013, 08:57 PM) *

I spoke to Bernie about 10 or 15 years ago.
he told me he lost money on every turbo kit he sold because of all the bench racers and tire kickers. he had to spend countless hours answering phone calls and talking to potential cuistomers who never bought anything. In the end he threw it all in a dumpster and said good riddance.

And ferg's right, you can't turbo a 914.

Hi I'm new to 914 world ..I want to install a small supercharger on my 914 via fuel injection a small 5 to 7 psi boost ..I seen a turbo installed on a factory fuel injected motor on this page ..do I need to add a blow off valve? ..was going to install directly from super charger to my black rubber air intake hose .would like some feedback ..from anyone who supercharged or turbowed there cars .thanks .try not to laugh to hard ...but as I pass you ..going 120 .mph ..if it don't blow up ...that is .....
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 4 2016, 03:44 PM
Post #52

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I'm sorry, you cannot supercharge a 914.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post May 4 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 4 2016, 02:44 PM) *

Since this thread has been dormant for more than 3 years, you get credit for getting that off on just the second post. Nice.
+Quote Post
Porscheman
post May 4 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(moggy @ Mar 28 2013, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2013, 01:33 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914.

You also can't supercharge a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-3285-1364481745.1.jpg)

Also I seen the black 914 supercharged ..but he used a custom intake and blowthrough fuel injection with computer from an exspensive efi system ..that u can adjust via computer ..I'm sure he Has a built up motor too ...
+Quote Post
Porscheman
post May 4 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ May 4 2016, 05:52 PM) *

Since this thread has been dormant for more than 3 years, you get credit for getting that off on just the second post. Nice.

Why can't you supercharge a 914 ..they have turbos .and superchared 914.s or are you guys just messing with me ...as in the old qoute .....
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 4 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #56

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

It's an old and long standing joke...

The issue you will have is limited support for the setup, there might be less than 100 in the world that have done this.
And, the head to cylinder sealing is gonna leak, so you will need to keep the boost down and design a method to seal the head better when things get bad.

The 911 turbo, and others, have used basically a guitar string machined into the head and cylinder to assist in sealing them.

It's not a low cost road to go down, but there are many member here that have turbo setups that work.
+Quote Post
Porscheman
post May 4 2016, 04:33 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Porscheman @ May 4 2016, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ May 4 2016, 05:52 PM) *

Why can't you supercharge a 914 ..they have turbos .and superchared 914.s or are you guys just messing with me ...as in the old qoute .....

I'm building a 2.0 motor and going to install a turbo cam ..hydrolic lifters ..and the biggest pistons and cylinders ..I can find ...I also know the skat track 9500 cam is good for fuel injection motors ...
+Quote Post
Porscheman
post May 4 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 4 2016, 06:30 PM) *

The issue you will have is limited support for the setup, there might be less than 100 in the world that have done this.
And, the head to cylinder sealing is gonna leak, so you will need to keep the boost down and design a method to seal the head better when things get bad.

The 911 turbo, and others, have used basically a guitar string machined into the head and cylinder to assist in sealing them.

It's not a low cost road to go down, but there are many member here that have turbo setups that work.

Thanks for your input ..I was going to install a small Subaru ple 500 .supercharger made for small displacement engines ..as I want to run the stock fuel injection ..and set up
.rather going with a turbo ..and all the expensive efi blow though desings ..figure the supercharger is small and has a self contained oil set up ..and is cheap to build..and probsbly only pushes 4 to 6 psi anyways
+Quote Post
Porscheman
post May 4 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Porscheman @ May 4 2016, 06:42 PM) *

Thanks for your input ..I was going to install a small Subaru ple 500 .supercharger made for small displacement engines ..as I want to run the stock fuel injection ..and set up
.rather going with a turbo ..and all the expensive efi blow though desings ..figure the supercharger is small and has a self contained oil set up ..and is cheap to build..and probsbly only pushes 4 to 6 psi anyways
I also have to install a v belt pully and change out the ribbed stock pully ..to make it work ...
+Quote Post
Porscheman
post May 4 2016, 04:52 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(Porscheman @ May 4 2016, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Porscheman @ May 4 2016, 06:42 PM) *

I also have to install a v belt pully and change out the ribbed stock pully ..to make it work ...
I'll try adding 5 lbs extra when I install my new oil seals .on the stock head tourqe spec.s as I don't want to break the studs ..and hoping it runs good with the lower psi output ...that it offers may run great ..wish me luck ...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:32 AM