Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 76 bumper retrofit, Will 73 bumpers fit 76 no mods?
jstill
post Jan 21 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,102
Region Association: None

I have a 76 914 project with parts from a 73 donor. Best parts of the 73 other than Eng/trans are the chrome bumpers. I like them and they save 100 lbs I hear.

I have the cars stored while wrapping up Rover project so i can't pull them and compare yet and wondered if that swap was doable/easy. Thoughts? Js

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 21 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

No mods? No.

Little mods? Yes.
+Quote Post
shelby/914
post Jan 21 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,655
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

try searching old school bumpers. Some cutting involved, be careful.

Dan
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Jan 21 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,568

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=8404&st=0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Jan 21 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am making a creamsicle out of a '76. Adapting the early bumpers to the '76 is doable but a bit of a chore if it is your first time.

Remove the '76 bumpers and bumper shock absorbers. I covered the shock holes with several layers of aluminum tape. To drill holes in the '76 body for the early bumpers, make a good template from the early body to mark the location on the '76. I used one small cardboard template for each side. As it was, I had to auger out the holes a bit, too much for a perfectionist. To do it again I would make a single long template from one side of the early body to the other side. Stick this on the '76 body and drill away. The front and rear will be a little different.

If you want to use fog lights, make a template for these too and drill these holes before your bolt on the bumpers--it'll be easier and more acurate. And positioning the nuts to mount the fog lights will be a chore as you can't get your hand into the area under the headlight bucket because of the heavier front frame. I used three wobble extensions on a ratchet to hold the nut up against the body while I fumbled around inside the early bumper that I had already mounted with the bolt. I should have just taken the bumper back off.

For the rear bumper you have to fabricate a center support for the rubber bumper top. Notice it on the old one and you can figure something out. I still have to mount the license plate lights but that shouldn't be too hard.

A bit of a chore, and easier if you do it the smart way. I think someone posted a primer with photos awhile back. My mistake was it looked so easy and straight forward that I proceeded without reviewing the posting.

Good luck.

PS I forgot about having to remove the lip from the '76 body. My body shop did this for me before paint so I didn't have to mess with it.

+Quote Post
jstill
post Jan 22 2013, 05:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,102

QUOTE(eyesright @ Jan 21 2013, 08:05 PM) *

I am making a creamsicle out of a '76. Adapting the early bumpers to the '76 is doable but a bit of a chore if it is your first time.

Remove the '76 bumpers and bumper shock absorbers. I covered the shock holes with several layers of aluminum tape. To drill holes in the '76 body for the early bumpers, make a good template from the early body to mark the location on the '76. I used one small cardboard template for each side. As it was, I had to auger out the holes a bit, too much for a perfectionist. To do it again I would make a single long template from one side of the early body to the other side. Stick this on the '76 body and drill away. The front and rear will be a little different.

If you want to use fog lights, make a template for these too and drill these holes before your bolt on the bumpers--it'll be easier and more acurate. And positioning the nuts to mount the fog lights will be a chore as you can't get your hand into the area under the headlight bucket because of the heavier front frame. I used three wobble extensions on a ratchet to hold the nut up against the body while I fumbled around inside the early bumper that I had already mounted with the bolt. I should have just taken the bumper back off.

For the rear bumper you have to fabricate a center support for the rubber bumper top. Notice it on the old one and you can figure something out. I still have to mount the license plate lights but that shouldn't be too hard.

A bit of a chore, and easier if you do it the smart way. I think someone posted a primer with photos awhile back. My mistake was it looked so easy and straight forward that I proceeded without reviewing the posting.

Good luck.

PS I forgot about having to remove the lip from the '76 body. My body shop did this for me before paint so I didn't have to mess with it.

Much thanks.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 22 2013, 07:23 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Late bumpers weigh 80lbs for the pair. I forget how much early ones weigh but I'm guessing ~30 +/-. Add in a bit for rubber bumper pads. Weight savings is 45lbs-max.

But I do like the look of early bumpers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 07:07 AM