Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 bumper retrofit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jstill
I have a 76 914 project with parts from a 73 donor. Best parts of the 73 other than Eng/trans are the chrome bumpers. I like them and they save 100 lbs I hear.

I have the cars stored while wrapping up Rover project so i can't pull them and compare yet and wondered if that swap was doable/easy. Thoughts? Js

Mike Bellis
No mods? No.

Little mods? Yes.
shelby/914
try searching old school bumpers. Some cutting involved, be careful.

Dan
eyesright
I am making a creamsicle out of a '76. Adapting the early bumpers to the '76 is doable but a bit of a chore if it is your first time.

Remove the '76 bumpers and bumper shock absorbers. I covered the shock holes with several layers of aluminum tape. To drill holes in the '76 body for the early bumpers, make a good template from the early body to mark the location on the '76. I used one small cardboard template for each side. As it was, I had to auger out the holes a bit, too much for a perfectionist. To do it again I would make a single long template from one side of the early body to the other side. Stick this on the '76 body and drill away. The front and rear will be a little different.

If you want to use fog lights, make a template for these too and drill these holes before your bolt on the bumpers--it'll be easier and more acurate. And positioning the nuts to mount the fog lights will be a chore as you can't get your hand into the area under the headlight bucket because of the heavier front frame. I used three wobble extensions on a ratchet to hold the nut up against the body while I fumbled around inside the early bumper that I had already mounted with the bolt. I should have just taken the bumper back off.

For the rear bumper you have to fabricate a center support for the rubber bumper top. Notice it on the old one and you can figure something out. I still have to mount the license plate lights but that shouldn't be too hard.

A bit of a chore, and easier if you do it the smart way. I think someone posted a primer with photos awhile back. My mistake was it looked so easy and straight forward that I proceeded without reviewing the posting.

Good luck.

PS I forgot about having to remove the lip from the '76 body. My body shop did this for me before paint so I didn't have to mess with it.

jstill
QUOTE(eyesright @ Jan 21 2013, 08:05 PM) *

I am making a creamsicle out of a '76. Adapting the early bumpers to the '76 is doable but a bit of a chore if it is your first time.

Remove the '76 bumpers and bumper shock absorbers. I covered the shock holes with several layers of aluminum tape. To drill holes in the '76 body for the early bumpers, make a good template from the early body to mark the location on the '76. I used one small cardboard template for each side. As it was, I had to auger out the holes a bit, too much for a perfectionist. To do it again I would make a single long template from one side of the early body to the other side. Stick this on the '76 body and drill away. The front and rear will be a little different.

If you want to use fog lights, make a template for these too and drill these holes before your bolt on the bumpers--it'll be easier and more acurate. And positioning the nuts to mount the fog lights will be a chore as you can't get your hand into the area under the headlight bucket because of the heavier front frame. I used three wobble extensions on a ratchet to hold the nut up against the body while I fumbled around inside the early bumper that I had already mounted with the bolt. I should have just taken the bumper back off.

For the rear bumper you have to fabricate a center support for the rubber bumper top. Notice it on the old one and you can figure something out. I still have to mount the license plate lights but that shouldn't be too hard.

A bit of a chore, and easier if you do it the smart way. I think someone posted a primer with photos awhile back. My mistake was it looked so easy and straight forward that I proceeded without reviewing the posting.

Good luck.

PS I forgot about having to remove the lip from the '76 body. My body shop did this for me before paint so I didn't have to mess with it.

Much thanks.
mepstein
Late bumpers weigh 80lbs for the pair. I forget how much early ones weigh but I'm guessing ~30 +/-. Add in a bit for rubber bumper pads. Weight savings is 45lbs-max.

But I do like the look of early bumpers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.