Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Racing a 914 in SCCA, Can it be competitive?
Stutgart46
post Nov 11 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Stutgart46

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,365

I was just looking over my copy of this months "Sports Car" magazine (SCCA's monthly mag). I have noticed that there seem to be no 914's running at the top of any class. Why is this? Are the rules written in such a way that the 914 is just can't be competitive? I understand that at the Runoffs these guys have poured buckets of money into whatever they're driving. But why hasn't anybody poured a ton of money into a 914 for SCCA? I have seen several in HSR and PCA that always competitive and they usually finish on the podium.
Oh well, jus thought I'd ask.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 11 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

I've been out of it for years, but Bob Kirby was the teener racer.

With the way SCCA started homogulating classes, the old sports cars that SCCA made it's name from just kinda died off I guess.
+Quote Post
butch
post Nov 11 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 415

I ran Tiggr in ITA, and could beat Miata's when I was on it. Severe HP handicap. Not that fun. I need a bigger unfair advantage than just better handling. The ITA rules allow no engine mods except the header...

Soooo... we put in a hot 2.1L which I ran in ITE then promptly blew up. Currently waiting on a Brad motor.

I ran a couple SCCA vintage events, which was big fun and there were lots of people to pass...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 11 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #4

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Just wait a few months, at tops maybe a year and you'll see some big changes.

I have a E production ongoing that is just plain nasty and also Chris Foley who is an excellent driver and does great things with lesser power than most is also getting a sponsorship from me. These two engines will make some big changes in the SCCA 914 world... Sure its competitive, thats why they give us some dumb rules and weights..
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 11 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Most of the competetive guys who ran 914s moved on to other things by now. Dave Finch won in his 944 in GT2 this year. He used to race a 914. There really hasn't been a lot of interest in racing 914s in SCCA for a while until recently. SCCA made it tough on 914s after they won a bit.
The current rules may be more conducive to running a 914 competetively, but I'm running against $100,000 Huffaker built Midgets. I met Bob Kirby (former champion) at the runoffs this year. He has a competetive FP car built by Finch, but I lapped him twice in the Runoffs. He's just too old and has lost his edge IMO.
I'm still working on my program to become competetive in FP, but my budget is small and the competition is fierce at the front. I ran as high as 12th place during this years runoffs (Watch it on Speed on Nov. 27th). There are a few new guys in EP with 2 liter 914s, both 4 and 6 cyl. versions.
Don't give up on us yet, as I feel the best is yet to come. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 11 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #6

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

absolutely! especially since we have new developments that SCCA don't even know exist yet that are still within their current rulebooks!
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 11 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I have only done 4 SCCA Solo II events and I am the only 914 running.
Get lots of "hey cool car" Since I put the big cammed motor in have to run in SM-2. But then who cares I still ge to drive the car near MY limits. Some day I will get closer to the car limits.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Nov 11 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,939

I fondly remember the old days in late 60's before Solo II ruined all my fun with my Bugeye in HP. After the Army in 1970 I also had a wife, so no racing interest since then. I retired last year and now that I have a 914 "sport type" car rather than an F 350 Powerstroke CC dually I may check out the SCCA scene again for old times sake!
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 11 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

An old sayng "the best way to make a small fortune racin' is to start with a large one"
Chris hit the nail on the head ....running against 100K cars. Them guys are serious and have big money and reputations to protect. They'll do it any way they can....money, rules.....whatever. You can go be a field filler and be welcome, but you're gonna need a shitload of money, desire, & talent to get up up on the poduim.

SCCA solo is similar, but different....for 914 guys. I'm also the only 914 guy that regularly runs in. There's a trend here. Any of you CA hot dogs run SCCA? I've had many folks comment " it been a long time since we've seen a 914 *like that* around here". (Got the same comment at my only DE, also.)
There is one big buck 914 that is competitive on a national level, so it can be done.

It seems to me that the interest in 914s is generally picking up. MAybe someone with more money than good sense will come along & put the 914 up towards the front of the pack.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Nov 11 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #10

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 11 2004, 07:57 PM)

I've had many folks comment " it been a long time since we've seen a 914 *like that* around here".

They are talking about the primered flares (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 11 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Nov 11 2004, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 11 2004, 07:57 PM)

I've had many folks comment " it been a long time since we've seen a 914 *like that* around here".

They are talking about the primered flares (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Probaably (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
machina
post Nov 12 2004, 06:39 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

You guys have said it all.

The TIV has never seen development at the level Jake is approaching now. It won't be long before he can match and even surpass what some of the other top production class engine builders are doing, and though they are doing it with more modern or more widely developed motors.

We all know the superior qualities of the 914 handling wise so it will only be a matter of time before we start seeing teeners at the front of the production fields. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 12 2004, 07:09 AM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Nov 12 2004, 07:39 AM)
We all know the superior qualities of the 914 handling wise so it will only be a matter of time before we start seeing teeners at the front of the production fields. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A fully prepared F Production MG Midget outcorners an equally prepared 914.
Why? The rules allow enough mods that they can nearly replace the entire car with highly developed components, and they weigh a lot less. The advantage of a 914 in FP over the front runners is horsepower. The extra weight we carry completely eliminates the handling, acceleration, and braking advantages we normally rely on.
Things are reversed in EP where the handling of a 914 is its advantage, and the hp is its biggest shortcoming.

A National Championship program takes a huge commitment in dollars, time invested and innovation, in addition to top notch driving skills and determination.
+Quote Post
Stutgart46
post Nov 12 2004, 08:00 AM
Post #14

Stutgart46

Member No.: 1,365

I love the "never die" attitude guys.
Your confidence and excitement is great.
Chris, I hope that SPEED has some shots of your car in their upcoming coverage of the Runoffs. It was great to see your name with "914" next to it on the grid.
As far as the Miatas go, I ran a couple of races last year in a fast (if there is such a thing) Spec Miata and I was bored. It was good close racing but there was not half as much excitement as when you're on the track in a Porsche. Especially a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 12 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #15

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 12 2004, 09:26 AM)
That level of dedication really means you could be settting your self up for a divorce if you put the race car ahead of your wife and family.

Wife:"Either that thing goes or I go!"
Driver:"Goodbye! Close the door on your way out."

This story has been told to me more than once from dedicated National drivers.

I have made some concessions to keep Mary next to me at the track. One of them is that we will be doing more of what she wants in a few years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Nov 12 2004, 09:41 AM
Post #16

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

Just getting started on this myself at the age of 48! But I see fun times ahead with my son in the red car! I'll see you guys on the tracks in the next couple of years. In the meantime I will continue to flog the AX courses and my wallet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Rleog
post Nov 12 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,239
Region Association: North East States

Chris:

For those of us with 914s but unfamiliar with SCCA rules that make it difficult for you to be competitive, could you elaborate on the weight/power/suspension differences that seem to penalize the 914.

Such as, at the runoffs, how much weight were you forced to carry, and what suspension mods did they forbid.

thanks
+Quote Post
groot
post Nov 12 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #18

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

Personally I think there are quite a few 914s running around in SCCA racing. Given the various other venues that 914s can run (PCA, POC, Vintage), the 914 is fairly well represented.

If you run a British car, you can race vintage or SCCA... that's it. Since Porsches have more venues their numbers are fewer in SCCA.

There could be more (and will be), but if I wanted to run a car that everyone else was I'd run a RX-7 or Miata.
+Quote Post
groot
post Nov 12 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #19

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I'm actually more surprised at how few 911s run SCCA, considering the number of 911 race cars there are.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:20 AM