Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What sections of the windshield frame to paint?, And use butyl or urethane sealer
PanelBilly
post Jan 22 2013, 07:21 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm getting ready to put a windshield in the blue car. Finely, going to work on the car again! I've read the classics thread but am wondering about painting some of the frame areas black so it looks right from the inside out. Can anybody help me with this?

Also. has anyone had their glass put in by a shop that uses urethane sealer rather than butyl? Can you see a difference? I know urethane makes a stronger grip, but does it look funny?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 22 2013, 09:10 PM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Billy you dont paint the frame, but the glass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Its called Frit paint and any glass guy worth his salt carries it as part of thier install kit.
It serves as a primer for the urathane and no it dosent look goofy if you are using the rubber trim seal like the one 914Rubber offers.
I oversaw the same install on Chris's car just prior to it being hauled to SoCal.
It looks Bitchen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
Im going for the same install one of my other projects (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Ill try to dig up some pics of Chris's car or perhaps he has them at the ready.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 23 2013, 09:50 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

I'm using the chrome trim. Do I still want them to paint the glass?
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 23 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 23 2013, 07:50 AM) *

I'm using the chrome trim. Do I still want them to paint the glass?

No ... the chrome trim covers the gaps whereas the rubber seal does not and that's why a 3/4" frit is put on the windshield when using the rubber seal trim.

I've done both.

Also, I use 3/16" butyl tape and stretch it a bit so that it does not interfere with the trim clips and squeeze out everywhere. Using tube glue (don't care what kind) in excess will glue the trim to the windshield and make it damn near impossible to remove it again without bending the crap out of it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 03:39 AM