Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What sections of the windshield frame to paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I'm getting ready to put a windshield in the blue car. Finely, going to work on the car again! I've read the classics thread but am wondering about painting some of the frame areas black so it looks right from the inside out. Can anybody help me with this?

Also. has anyone had their glass put in by a shop that uses urethane sealer rather than butyl? Can you see a difference? I know urethane makes a stronger grip, but does it look funny?
914werke
Billy you dont paint the frame, but the glass smile.gif
Its called Frit paint and any glass guy worth his salt carries it as part of thier install kit.
It serves as a primer for the urathane and no it dosent look goofy if you are using the rubber trim seal like the one 914Rubber offers.
I oversaw the same install on Chris's car just prior to it being hauled to SoCal.
It looks Bitchen aktion035.gif chowtime.gif
Im going for the same install one of my other projects wacko.gif
Ill try to dig up some pics of Chris's car or perhaps he has them at the ready.
PanelBilly
I'm using the chrome trim. Do I still want them to paint the glass?
SLITS
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 23 2013, 07:50 AM) *

I'm using the chrome trim. Do I still want them to paint the glass?

No ... the chrome trim covers the gaps whereas the rubber seal does not and that's why a 3/4" frit is put on the windshield when using the rubber seal trim.

I've done both.

Also, I use 3/16" butyl tape and stretch it a bit so that it does not interfere with the trim clips and squeeze out everywhere. Using tube glue (don't care what kind) in excess will glue the trim to the windshield and make it damn near impossible to remove it again without bending the crap out of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.