Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CW types, purists and others a bit, squeemish. Do not look!!!
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 15 2013, 12:45 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

I just got the estimate to paint four fenders and two hoods for my car. $2500. I guess that's fair but more than I want to pay, so it looks like I might be shooting them myself. Something I've never done but am looking forward to giving it a try. I have a compressor so that's at least a start. I guess I'll log on to the Eastwood web sit today. Wish me luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Black22
post Feb 15 2013, 04:43 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good Luck!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I'll be spraying my next car too...although I had my WHOLE car painted for $2,500 last time.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Feb 15 2013, 07:11 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 15 2013, 10:45 AM) *

I just got the estimate to paint four fenders and two hoods for my car. $2500. I guess that's fair but more than I want to pay, so it looks like I might be shooting them myself. Something I've never done but am looking forward to giving it a try. I have a compressor so that's at least a start. I guess I'll log on to the Eastwood web sit today. Wish me luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Elly-utt --

I've got a nice Devilbiss gun, a couple difference nozzle sizes (1.8 and 2.0), and a lot of other painting stuff you're welcome to borrow, as long as I can watch and learn. I'll be working on my car this weekend if you wanna stop by...

Geoff
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 15 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #64

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) $2500 to paint four fenders and two hoods? That's insane. Have you thought about getting another estimate? Hell, if you do the prep work, I would think that Maaco could do it for $500 to $1000.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 15 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #65

914 Guru

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 15 2013, 06:06 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) $2500 to paint four fenders and two hoods? That's insane. Have you thought about getting another estimate? Hell, if you do the prep work, I would think that Maaco could do it for $500 to $1000.

I went to two other body shops and they wouldn't even consider it. They all want to do insurance claims. The last one was a small family owned shop and they still had to consult a computer program to find an estimate. When I told them it was just four fenders and two hoods, they acted kinda confused. "Ummm, what kinda car izzat again"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 15 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #66

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

My buddy gets mayco paint jobs all the time for his flipper cars. For his better stuff he comes to me.

2500 is redic for a no body work respray.. unless you asked them to take them down to the metal/glass and reprime and all that, then ya it makes sense.

If you were local I'd do it for you at my friend rate.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 15 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #67

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 15 2013, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 15 2013, 06:06 PM) *

I went to two other body shops and they wouldn't even consider it. They all want to do insurance claims. The last one was a small family owned shop and they still had to consult a computer program to find an estimate. When I told them it was just four fenders and two hoods, they acted kinda confused. "Ummm, what kinda car izzat again"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Wow. That's unfortunate. At least you are going to learn to paint! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I was talking with an owner of a body shop out here (where we have all 4 seasons), and he was quite candid about how he makes his living from insurance work. However, it can be slow in the summer, so that is when he takes on projects like this. When it is really slow, he has his guys work on his old cars and will occasionally buy wrecks to rebuild just to keep them busy and a little coin coming in.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 15 2013, 08:45 PM
Post #68

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Your picking a Hell of a color to learn on Bro. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Prep it well. Black shows everything. Be sure you know how to clean a paint gun, too. Especially if you borrow one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 15 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #69

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 15 2013, 06:22 PM) *
My buddy gets mayco paint jobs all the time for his flipper cars. For his better stuff he comes to me.

2500 is redic for a no body work respray.. unless you asked them to take them down to the metal/glass and reprime and all that, then ya it makes sense.

If you were local I'd do it for you at my friend rate.
That's only 200 or so miles away ... might be worth the trip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 15 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #70

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 15 2013, 06:45 PM) *

Your picking a Hell of a color to learn on Bro. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Prep it well. Black shows everything. Be sure you know how to clean a paint gun, too. Especially if you borrow one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I've heard that black and red are the most difficult colors to shoot. One good tip the body shop owner told me was to wash and clean the fiberglass before you start to sand to clean off what he called a "releasing agent" whatever the hell that is. Then sand, clean, primer, sand, clean, paint, clean, paint, etc. Hell! How hard can it be? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I can turn wrenches, I can weld, I can rewire. I might as well learn how to paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Right?
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Feb 16 2013, 01:09 AM
Post #71

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I was quoted $1600.00 just to paint my hood, engine lid and trunk. I about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) They gave me the same excuse that they normally do insurance work. I even said to the guy "you really don't want to do it, do you?" He looked at me and smiled.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 16 2013, 01:50 AM
Post #72

914 Guru

I just spent a few minutes and $ on the Eastwood site. I got spray guns, a filter drier, regulator for my compressor. I even got one of them maskfilter things so I don't croak from breathing paint fumes. Now I got to figure out where to get some primer and paint. I'm guessing I can't get it at Lowes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) At this point, I am open to ANY suggestions and advise.
Cheers, Elliot (Earl Sheib) Cannon
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 16 2013, 02:43 AM
Post #73

Attached Image

Hi, I'm Elliot Scheib ... and I'll paint any car, any color, for only ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Dasnowman
post Feb 16 2013, 03:00 AM
Post #74

You miss 100% of shots you don't take!

Member No.: 14,477
Region Association: Canada

Have you ever thought of talking to a trade school body shop? They usaully do it for cost of materials and clean up supplies..
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 16 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #75

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I wrote a flaming post but deleted it. All I can say is shame on you. You made a nice living flying planes. Don't knock a guy for having to make a buck to survive. Specially in the land of regulations and taxes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) You get what you pay for if your lucky. Let's see how your paint work comes out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Really not trying to be an asshole but really?
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Feb 16 2013, 08:47 AM
Post #76

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 16 2013, 07:13 AM) *

I wrote a flaming post but deleted it. All I can say is shame on you. You made a nice living flying planes. Don't knock a guy for having to make a buck to survive. Specially in the land of regulations and taxes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) You get what you pay for if your lucky. Let's see how your paint work comes out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Really not trying to be an asshole but really?

Hey um, Rick....if you read his post he never complained, in fact he suggested that it was a fair price - "I just got the estimate to paint four fenders and two hoods for my car. $2500. I guess that's fair but more than I want to pay"
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 16 2013, 08:54 AM
Post #77

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I respect a guy that wants to learn how to paint. You didn't say what kind of paint. It seems you are going to try and match the finish on the doors. How much orange peel do they have? There will be several mistakes while you are learning. Sometimes the paint on the floor cost more than whats on the car. I don't know how much filler your car needs but good product supplies will cost you probably 500.00. And probably you will end up painting the doors just to get the overall finish the same. A guy needs to know how to paint though that way he can convince the painter he won't settle for short cuts. My friend who is in the paint business told me lately he has been using eastwood primers. I haven't tried them yet. If cost was not a concern I would probably use all ppg's best that will double the cost of the paint for me. Good luck lots of guys have done good driver car driveway paint jobs but they have sanded probably 30% off removing nibs, sags and going back and redoing a panel that a small low or high place appears after it is buffed out. Prep is the key and a good enviorment helps a lot. At least black won't show small bugs or specks like lighter colors do.

Good luck
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 16 2013, 09:23 AM
Post #78

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Shoot a 2 stage paint. You can remedy just about any mistake with two stage paint. I don't think it holds up as well as single stage but.........Buy the good stuff, not cheap crap. DuPont and PPG both make some good paints. That being said, you may want to go out of state (AZ or NV) for your paint. I would imagine our CA formula paints probably include non-toxic Crayons in the formula by now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Another thing; our OLD eyes need lots and lots of good lighting. You'll need that reflection as a guide unless you've shot a hundred cars before. You should probably ignore everything I've said because every time I've bought paint in the last 10 yr's I've found that what I knew before is now "old hat". Good luck buddy. If'ing I's can be of any assistance let me know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 16 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I agree on the paint ppg has obsoleted a lot of my paint on the shelf. Also try to get the mfg's application guide on the paint from whoever sells it to you. Like what reducer for what temp, the time between coats and so on. I like single stage with a clear top coat, I think it holds up much better but is a lot more work. I know black is black but I still bet you end up painting the doors.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 16 2013, 12:02 PM
Post #80

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Feb 16 2013, 01:00 AM) *
Have you ever thought of talking to a trade school body shop? They usaully do it for cost of materials and clean up supplies..
That's a good idea ... or maybe you can enroll in the course yourself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Dianne and I took an auto body class at the Harbor Occupational Center in San Pedro (20 years ago) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 08:28 AM