Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home Wheel Alignment
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Twodollardoug

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

I have been talking to Ray Scruggs and he sent me his pdf file on how to home wheel align a 914. He said he didnt mind if I posted it up here for us. Which was pretty cool of him I thought. But I don't know how to post it. If you know how, pm me and I will email it to you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 24 2013, 11:41 AM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Open the file and take a screen shot of each page.
Save each screen shot as a JPG file.

Post away.

rich
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jan 24 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #3

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

PM sent...I have Adobe Acobat on my PC here at work. I could save each page as a image then easily posted.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 24 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Post the PDF just like you would a picture.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #5

Twodollardoug

For now, right click, and save link as.... the attachment. then save it to your favorite place Attached File  HOME_ALIGNMENT_OF_PORSCHE_914.pdf ( 275.99k ) Number of downloads: 12094
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Jan 24 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,125
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Tried it 4 times...never worked.

Just sat loading, and loading, and loading....Then timedout.
+Quote Post
Tilly74
post Jan 24 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,522
Region Association: None

Yeah, didn't work for me either. When we do alignments on ATV's at our shop we use string or twine to measure and keep track of movement. It's pretty archaic compared to modern alignment machines, but it works well enough to keep our customers happy. I'm really curious to see how this works and if it's similar to the methods we use.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 24 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Man I've been trying to get a copy of this for a long time. If this doesn't work, you can always upload it to GoogleDocs and password it. Then just share the password here so we can access it. Thanks for reaching out to him for us!
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #9

Twodollardoug

sorry guys, were working on it.

hopefully we will get it fixed shortly.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #10

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(Tilly74 @ Jan 24 2013, 02:46 PM) *

Yeah, didn't work for me either. When we do alignments on ATV's at our shop we use string or twine to measure and keep track of movement. It's pretty archaic compared to modern alignment machines, but it works well enough to keep our customers happy. I'm really curious to see how this works and if it's similar to the methods we use.

Its probly the same method. It worked great for me. thats why I wanted to share it.
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jan 24 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #11

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

I'll post the images first thing tomorrow morning when I get to work...
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #12

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 24 2013, 04:00 PM) *

I'll post the images first thing tomorrow morning when I get to work...

Right on bro. Thank you.

doug
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 24 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you cant wait;

http://www.2l7registry.com/doc/georacing.pdf

Its Great you talked to Ray ..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #14

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 24 2013, 04:41 PM) *

If you cant wait;

http://www.2l7registry.com/doc/georacing.pdf

Its Great you talked to Ray ..

Ya I've seen that one but thats not the same one. He has a 914 specific version....
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 24 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

the method is the same
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jan 24 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #16

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....Bro, I think it's the old school front end alignment? involving
Twine & a board(2 by 4)...It's been discussed here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #17

Twodollardoug

Your right, but the rear suspension is totally different, and possibly the setup numbers too.
+Quote Post
David J
post Jan 24 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 14,577
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great info - Thanks!
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 24 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

I've used string alignment setups for years for a variety of street, autocross and track cars. To do it "right," you'll need a very flat surface. I've used stacks of 1/8" thick 12"x12" vinyl flooring tiles to "shim" the garage floor, based on where the car will sit during the alignment process. Essentially, I just parked the car where I've got a lot of room around it to work and marked the tire footprints with chalk. Then you back the car up, place one vinyl tire over each mark, pull the car back on top to make sure the tire footprints are squarely in the middle, mark around each square with a felt-tip pen, pull the car back out, and paint over the edge of each square with spraypaint. It'll last for years; use different colors for each car.

You can then use a long piece of clear vinyl tubing taped to a vertical surface, fill it mostly with water and water to figure out the relative heights of each of the four squares. Rather than try to explain it, DIY Water Level provides a good explanation. Then shim with additional or fewer tiles until each square is at the same height as the other three. Use a Sharpie to write inside each "square" on the floor to record how many tiles are necessary to provide a flat surface. The tiles are less than a buck each at Home Despot (don't get the ones with the waxpaper covered stickiness).

I've used the jackstands method to hold the strings along both sides of the car, but I've found building a poor-man's Smart Strings setup is pretty easy. And this setup lets you move the car around to settle the suspension after each change to the alignment setting.

Below are some pics of the one I built last weekend (I seem to toss the previous version every time I move!). I've got about $30 bucks and an hour of my time into it. It is adjustable and works for my 914, as well as my two E36 BMWs.

First up is the front setup on the front of my car:

Attached Image

Next up is a close-up of some of the parts. You'll need four of the grey 1/2" PVC junction boxes ($2.50 each), four 3/4" white PVC tees ($0.80 each), eight 3/4" to 1/2" white PVC bushings ($0.40 each), four 1/2" white PVC elbows ($0.35 each), one 10' stick of 1/2" schedule 40 grey PVC pipe ($1.75) and two 10' sticks of 1/2" EMT galvanized metal conduits ($4.75 each). You'll also want to use 1" screws in place of the ones that come with the four grey junction boxes (those screws are too short); you use 'em to secure the metal conduit once you size things up. All the grey PVC parts are found in the Electrical section of your hated hardware store, and the white PVC parts are found in the Plumbing section. Be sure to curse the lack of helpful assistance in the aisles of the big box hardware stores while you're there...

Attached Image

Next is a close up of the front-side of the junctions. Note that you'll want the grey sched 40 PVC pipe to slide up/down through the white PVC bushings you glued into the tee (it won't as purchased!), and a head porting sandpaper cone makes short work of it. I suppose you could use a round bastard file, but that would take a lot of sweating and swearing -- and you probably won't file it very straight. You'll also need to slightly open up the grey junction box holes for the EMT to slide left/right; again the porting sanding cone works great for this. Note the screw in the white PVC tee; that locks the grey PVC pipe in the vertical adjustment once you get the measurements right. Essentially, you want the strings on each side of the car to pass horizontally at the hub centers.

Attached Image

Finally is a pic of the backside. Nuthin' too exciting. You don't need to, but I like to push-on (don't glue!) a cap or union on the top of the vertical PVC pipe so it doesn't slide off when making the initial adjustments.

Attached Image

You'll want to find the exact center of the front and rear of the car, mark it on the car (a small Sharpie mark is virtually invisible) and line it up with the center of the front and rear of the string bars -- if you want the car to drive straight down the road. Once you get the strings equi-distant from the center at the front and rear, and tighten the strings and it will stay put while you make your measurements and changes.

The four level squares on your garage floor can also be used to counter-balance your car -- but that's a whole 'nother story.

File this under Cheap Bastard Racing solutions...

+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 24 2013, 09:50 PM
Post #20

Twodollardoug

That is a fantastic right up strawman! Thanks for the info. This will compliment Rays pdf when it gets posted tomorrow. I think Im gonna make these and realign my car. what keeps them attached to the car when you move the car to settle the suspension? I suppose as long as your fixture goes into the exact same place with each installment you could just mark the emt where the string should go. that would make re-setting up way faster. any pictures of the rear set up. and one more note, the strings should run in the same plane as the axles. And your fixtures are adjustable for that exact reason. I love it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 04:29 PM