Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Taillights, Custom Made for the 914
Spoke
post Mar 26 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #341

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 26 2014, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 26 2014, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 26 2014, 05:46 PM) *

Very impressive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Which board factory did you use?

Thanks.

We use Sierra Circuits quite a bit. Quick turns and longer at reasonable prices.

Had a chance to build one light tonight. I did an amber turnsignal to see how it looks. No pics right now.

Power dissipation is exactly what I expected. Temp rise is very manageable at about 25C.

Thanks, I might give Sierra Circuits a try. I've been messing around with a prototype tachometer board that will replace the old tired control.

Sierra is good if you have a quantity of boards to make otherwise it is expensive for just a couple of boards.

If you want to do a couple of boards, try Osh Park. I used them for my prototype LED boards. Very reasonable for small quantities.

I built a small board (1 inch x 0.5 inch) for a 914world member and it was only a couple of dollars for 3 boards. They get small orders like this and my LED taillights and assemble enough to make a panel then go to fab. Turn around time was like 2 weeks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Mar 26 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #342

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I used International Circuits for my last production run, great company but they whack you for doing anything less than 100 boards. I'll try Osh Park for my first 5 boards. Any idea where to source an air core movement motor? You would think these would be easy to find (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
smj
post Mar 26 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #343

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

Spoke, given that you're still testing some variant builds and such, might make sense to start a new thread when you've locked it down and are ready for orders.

Just a thought, and apologies if it's already been suggested/stated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 31 2014, 11:44 AM
Post #344

Jerry

QUOTE(smj @ Mar 26 2014, 11:26 PM) *

Spoke, given that you're still testing some variant builds and such, might make sense to start a new thread when you've locked it down and are ready for orders.

Just a thought, and apologies if it's already been suggested/stated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Good idea. I think I will do that for the next batch. I believe enough folks have stepped up for this batch of 50 boards such that all boards are accounted for. The next will be a group buy as I buy the boards in quantity.

I'm building these boards one at a time so I can't fill all orders at once. I will contact each person in the order of when they asked for a set.

I'm working with CptTripps for the securing clips so I sent a full 4-board set to him to work with:

Attached Image

I have 4 sets of brake lights assembled and tested. Need to add the bulb bases and securing clips. These likely will be ready for shipment this weekend. I will contact guys who already responded to this thread for interest in brake lights.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 31 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #345

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

I JUST got notification that they're at my UPS box, so I'll try to dig into it tonight. As soon as I can figure out the right sizing for the triangle clip piece, I'll make a few up and send them your way to ship with the orders.

May take me a day or so...but I'll get to it.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 1 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #346

I believe I figured out a solution.

Using some old copper I had, I crafted a piece to go up from one of the clips, and into the hole on the board. This SHOULD do the trick.

Spoke: Before I power this up, is there an issue with this piece being grounded?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 1 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #347

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I don't know if you thought of this, but will the stock turn signal flasher unit on a 914 receive enough current to run the flasher when you use LEDs in the turn signal units?

I know the early cars with two turn signal indicators were designed to flash the indicators once then dim them if you have a bulb out on that side. You may end up with the indicators not working if the LED boards don't provide enough load.

Just thinking......

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 1 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #348

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Another thought....

How about an LED setup to go inside the chrome strip on the back of the targa band for a third brake light? Just cut a slot and put in a clear lens and use red LEDs. It is right at eye level for most cars, and you could run it the width of the car. They are sure to see that brake light!

You build that one and I want to be the first in line to buy it!

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 1 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #349

These should be the right voltage without modification. Spoke is pretty adept at that stuff. I believe his idea is to make direct replacements for the OEM locations...not invent new ones.

That being said, I'm going to be modifying my chrome strip to have about 6 red LEDs in it for a 3rd light.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 1 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #350

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

A high mount LED 3rd brake light is in my build sheet with Scotty. It will install in the chrome strip and I am hoping to find a suitable unit that is approximately 10-12" in length with a clear lens so it is basically invisible until illuminated. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a high quality unit please send me a message.

OK back to your regularly scheduled program (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 1 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #351

Jerry

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 1 2014, 06:30 PM) *

I believe I figured out a solution.

Using some old copper I had, I crafted a piece to go up from one of the clips, and into the hole on the board. This SHOULD do the trick.

Spoke: Before I power this up, is there an issue with this piece being grounded?

I like it! What is that plastic piece that secures the bottom of the clip? I saw those on my housing but didn't investigate.

The thin clip won't give much up and down stability but I think the PCB is pretty tight in the housing so there should be little up/down movement.

No worries about shorting out at the hole locations. As long as nothing touches the LED leads you'll be ok. Let me know how these look when you power them.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 1 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #352

Jerry

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 06:55 PM) *

I don't know if you thought of this, but will the stock turn signal flasher unit on a 914 receive enough current to run the flasher when you use LEDs in the turn signal units?

I know the early cars with two turn signal indicators were designed to flash the indicators once then dim them if you have a bulb out on that side. You may end up with the indicators not working if the LED boards don't provide enough load.

Just thinking......

Good point. If the lighter load of the LED lights causes the flasher to stop then one will have to add a resistive load or change to an LED-compatible flasher.

Mine works fine with the LED lights but YMMV.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 1 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #353

Jerry

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 06:57 PM) *

Another thought....

How about an LED setup to go inside the chrome strip on the back of the targa band for a third brake light? Just cut a slot and put in a clear lens and use red LEDs. It is right at eye level for most cars, and you could run it the width of the car. They are sure to see that brake light!

I hope that someone comes up with a great solution for the 3rd brake light. The 914 really needs one of these.

This one isn't on my radar right now. As you point out, there's probably more mechanical modifications needed than electrical. There's all kinds of strip LEDs out there that would work well. The key to this one is to cut a slot in the chrome, put a clear lens on it and mount the LED strip behind it.

+Quote Post
914Mike
post Aug 4 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #354

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 3 2014, 07:31 AM) *

Glad you got them lit up. I remembered that I didn't mention how to install the bulb bases in the sockets. They can be tricky. I've gotten so used to them cause I've installed and removed these a hundred times.

The trick is to put your finger in the socket like in the pic. This will give enough pressure and friction to install.

That works. A better way is to take a stiff wire, like a big paper clip and form it into a squared off U shape, then solder it to the insides of the bayonet tube to make a handle...
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Aug 4 2014, 03:12 PM
Post #355

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 03:55 PM) *

Just thinking......

Clay;

I've had to take an old 4-pin flasher apart to re-use the base. First you figure out which pins are what with the old one, then you look at one of the new LED types and match the pins. They will have +, -, and L for light marked on them. By stacking the old base under the new one you can solder the pins together and then jumper the right pin over to the extra dash light pin on your old base. I seem to remember it was the ground that got my dash lights working, but I could be off on that...

I think this is the one that works, all except for the dash light/s:

eBay item number:
CF-13 GL-02

FYI, a CF-13 JL-02 is the same circuit with the + an - terminals switched. I got that one to work by taking the cover off and rewiring it to what I needed. They are about half of the $ compared to the one above right now...
+Quote Post
PThompson509
post Aug 4 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #356

Member No.: 4,564

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 1 2014, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 06:57 PM) *

Another thought....

I hope that someone comes up with a great solution for the 3rd brake light. The 914 really needs one of these.

This one isn't on my radar right now. As you point out, there's probably more mechanical modifications needed than electrical. There's all kinds of strip LEDs out there that would work well. The key to this one is to cut a slot in the chrome, put a clear lens on it and mount the LED strip behind it.

I just added some pre-taped side-emitting LEDs under the chrome. The strip is water proof, and has stuck there for about 2 years now with no sign of failure.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/side-em...ve%29,135,4568:

Cheers! Peter
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 01:45 AM