Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the ebay confusion thread going south, it's started, will move here
DNHunt
post Nov 13 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #21

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Legally the guy's on the hook. Can you collect on it? Probably not. It's not a big enough amount to pursue legally so, if he wants out he'll take a hit on feedback.

But, what's the real issue? The guy made a mistake. Cut the guy some slack and write it off as a good deed.

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Nov 13 2004, 10:42 AM
Post #22

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

I brought this topic up at my Church's Men's study this morning. Many people say the seller should do the right thing and ship the product for $55. I originally thought the same way. With a little reading this morning it dawned om me that it was an honest mistake and many here are trying to punish and ridicule the guy for it. That's not right either. Two wrongs don't make a right, isn't that what they say.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters,6 whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. 4:9 And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 13 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #23

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Nov 13 2004, 09:42 AM)
I brought this topic up at my Church's Men's study this morning. Many people say the seller should do the right thing and ship the product for $55. I originally thought the same way. With a little reading this morning it dawned om me that it was an honest mistake and many here are trying to punish and ridicule the guy for it. That's not right either. Two wrongs don't make a right, isn't that what they say.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters,6 whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. 4:9 And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.

First, it is a business transaction. Ethics are involved, not morals. The ideal way for the seller to have come off was to agree to ship the item at the price stated because it was his error. He then could have asked for some leeway because he made the error. The buyer should have been given an option. I'm sure a mutually agreeable solution could have been worked out.

Since he only communicated that he was killing the deal because he would lose money and that he would sell it for his cost was not an appropriate solution. He is a weasel.

The best reason for selling at the stated price was given in the cigar trading post. A long term customer is worth taking it in the shorts once.

I will guarantee that the seller WILL proof his ads after this.

And no, I would not have taken advantage of the situation and bought them all. I am keenly aware of the "normal wholesale and retail" price. Even I am not that much of an asshole. I bought 300 OEM lower targa seals at an auction for $2.00 each - I sold them for $10 each, knowing full well the list was $89.00. In addition, when someone that I shipped said the seal was to hard and/or cracked (some were), I shipped a replacement at no cost. My reputation was more important than the effin money.

Ok, you can continue beating it to death now. It was an error he should have backed up and bit the bullet.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 14 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #24

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

you see my point ron. if it's unclear, i did use the BUY IT NOW FEATURE, at a posted, advertized, every day price(atleast for those few minutes). i want more money for all of the parts that i sold too cheaply. what's the good deed here dave? nomeorenginkyo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

kevin
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 14 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #25

Ron is right about it being a case of ethics. But, moral businessmen make ethical business decisions. When I posted before, I neglected to mention what I thought the seller's obligation was. He should offer the sail at the agreed price. He won't and Kevin probably can't make him.

My comment about a good deed stems from the fact that one can only control one's own actions. This guy made a mistake and Kevin can take the position he will not profit from someone else's mistake. I see that as a good deed just like returning lost property is a good deed.

Things aren't always clear cut, and I haven't always been the perfect angel, so I offer this as unsolicited advice from someone that doesn't always do the right thing.

Dave
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 14 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #26

i still love you dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

your pal, kevin
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 14 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #27

Damn Kevin that's awfully nice of you. With all the work I've been doing on my car I'm not sure if my wife still loves me. You might want to rethink that statement, cause I may come over for a hug. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

I got the "we never connect anymore lecture" last weekend, so I've been playing it pretty close this week. I can't seem to get her to go for connecting over a 4 pot. I told her it'll never be cleaner than it is right now. No go, she wants to connect out of the garage.

Dave
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 14 2004, 09:02 AM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

How about the theory of what you'd want to see happen if the roles were reversed. If you made the mistake and someone else was on your butt to come through... you'd feel stupid and ripped.

Its bad karma.

I like the concept of good communication and compromise.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 14 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #29

suppose someone scooped a car for a song. upon further investigation the car is found to be... unique, to put it mildly, and could have a very high value. should the buyer go back to the seller and "you know, i sort of got over on you. here's a big check.". you get to ask the purchaser of your car for more money rob. i mean, it really was too good of a deal. believe me, i have been ripped in the past and felt stupid. but i sucked it up, lived with it, and moved on.

kevin
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 14 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #30

I like this thread and will provide a couple more examples:

1.) I sold a set of polished 5 lug Fuchs - shipped them - and was notified by the buyer that the lug pattern was not Porsche. I took him at his word, refunded the purchase price and freight and then paid the return freight.

2.) I sold a high performance VW transmission for a dune buggy. In transit, the tranny was broken. The buyer shipped it back at his expense, I had it completely rebuilt and then shipped it back to him.

The point of these stories - I felt I fullfilled my obligation as a seller to provide the item I had sold even though it cost me money. I know that if I have an item that either of these buyers want, they will not hesitate to purchase from me.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 14 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #31

a non-political thread about ethics, which is what this one is really about. ethics that is. you have the rightous kharma ron. you're coming back as a cow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . i'm not steamed over the seal fiasco. it just chips away at my faith in people a bit. spliffs for everyone!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

kevin
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 14 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #32

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have been selling some of red-beards stuff on ebay as of late and some have gone crazy high, others crazy low, but I stuck to them all. Hell, one part sold for $.99 and after fees I made $.30. Shipping took more out of me than $.30 freaking cents. If it were a private seller then I would have negotiated, but since it is a business and the hit would be less dire I would expect them to honor the contract. I see eye to eye with Ron on this.
I had a customer reacently that was not thrilled with some work that I had done for him. The reason being that I was not clear enough in my requirements for a dash core to be made into a 10. Long story short, I took my dash out, covered it, and will be sending it to him shortly. I may have lost my ass in the deal, but I can look at my self in the mirror and be proud for being a man and owning my mistake. As well, I have the best customers on the plannet! They are understanding, appreciative, and work well with me to help me satisfy their expectations.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 14 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #33

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 14 2004, 11:39 AM)
you have the rightous kharma ron. you're coming back as a cow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

kevin

Nope! Can't be the same thing twice in a row!

M
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 14 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #34

Damnit Miles, I expected you to say I would be reincarnated as the Village Idiot...............wait............uhhhhhhhh..........nevermind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 14 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #35

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Again:

YOU CAN'T BE THE SAME THING TWICE IN A ROW!

Cows, and i-dots are not mutually exclusive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
iiibdsiil
post Nov 14 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #36

Needs Door Locks

Member No.: 1,362

You know that the guy would most likely pull the "this auction is a legal contract" crap if you would have over bid, i.e. put an extra 0 or something. And he would never let it down and bad mouth you, at least that is what most would do. So, you can pull that crap with him, or you can just give it up and make it right if you really need the part.

He being a business man should fess up to his mistakes, and should make it right for you, but, he might/probably won't do that.

I bought something from Radio Shack one time, they still had the sale price sticker up on it, even though it was a Wednesday, and the sale ended Sunday, the manager let me have it for the sale price, even though I told him it was okay, and I would pay normal price, since I needed it. But, because they made it right with me, I will be a customer of theirs when I need stuff, instead of going to the other guy for it.

This transaction might cost him $85, but, depending, it might make him $500, because he might make a new return customer. If he gets the negative feed back, It might stop one person from buying something, and thus cost him $85 still. Who knows.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 04:26 AM