Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Racing Harness, USED
ww914
post Jan 31 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #1

914 Convert

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

If I am reading the rules for racing correctly, the SFI 16.1 rule states that harnesses must be renewed every two years or so. If that is so, is there an abundance of usable harnesses out there for AX use or do the racers toss them?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 31 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

different organizations have different rules
mine uses a 5 year date

I've sold one set used, and gave another set away to a friend

but yes there are some road racing harnesses reapplied into autox

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ww914
post Feb 10 2013, 09:16 AM
Post #3

914 Convert

QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 31 2013, 07:01 AM) *

If I am reading the rules for racing correctly, the SFI 16.1 rule states that harnesses must be renewed every two years or so. If that is so, is there an abundance of usable harnesses out there for AX use or do the racers toss them?

I got my Sparco seat installed on my existing seat brackets. I had to make an adapter, but it works and fits great. I can use the existing tilt and slide mechanism. The seat has five holes for belts. Since I havent' heard from anyone regarding their used belt, I am thinking of the Schroth Profi ASM. This belt is a four point belt that has some technology for anti-submarining. It has the street legal "Press" button for street legality. I do have the seat crotch slot, but do I really need that feature for auto-cross? I am thinking not. I can always get a different buckle and sub straps later if I wish. Here's the link to the belt:

http://www.schrothracing.com/competition/p...sm/profi-II-asm
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Feb 10 2013, 11:30 AM
Post #4

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 10 2013, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 31 2013, 07:01 AM) *

I got my Sparco seat installed on my existing seat brackets. I had to make an adapter, but it works and fits great. I can use the existing tilt and slide mechanism. The seat has five holes for belts. Since I havent' heard from anyone regarding their used belt, I am thinking of the Schroth Profi ASM. This belt is a four point belt that has some technology for anti-submarining. It has the street legal "Press" button for street legality. I do have the seat crotch slot, but do I really need that feature for auto-cross? I am thinking not. I can always get a different buckle and sub straps later if I wish. Here's the link to the belt:

http://www.schrothracing.com/competition/p...sm/profi-II-asm

The schroth harness has a "6" point adapter to it that has anti sub. But some of the folks I've talked to about it all say the same thing. It is uncomfortable.

My advice is to use the anti sub slot and run a 5 point. It is safer and you already have the means. To be honest I wouldnt give it a second thought in a 914. Your noggin is at stake when/if you don't run anti sub. I know that it is only auto cross but folks who roller skate wear helmets... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The way I look at it is when it comes to safety, don't skimp. Not even a little. Find the safest product you can buy within reason and go with it.

My .02
Thomas
+Quote Post
ww914
post Feb 12 2013, 08:45 AM
Post #5

914 Convert

The schroth harness has a "6" point adapter to it that has anti sub. But some of the folks I've talked to about it all say the same thing. It is uncomfortable.

My advice is to use the anti sub slot and run a 5 point. It is safer and you already have the means. To be honest I wouldnt give it a second thought in a 914. Your noggin is at stake when/if you don't run anti sub. I know that it is only auto cross but folks who roller skate wear helmets... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The way I look at it is when it comes to safety, don't skimp. Not even a little. Find the safest product you can buy within reason and go with it.

My .02
Thomas

Thomas, I think you offered good advice and after talking to the folks at Schroth, I decided to go with their Clubman. It is a low cost 6 point harness. I will take some photos of the install when I get them.
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Feb 13 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 12 2013, 09:45 AM) *

My .02
Thomas

Thomas, I think you offered good advice and after talking to the folks at Schroth, I decided to go with their Clubman. It is a low cost 6 point harness. I will take some photos of the install when I get them.

Great deal! That is a good harness. Much better than the makeshift 6pt that they offer. Not to mention that harness will concrete you to the seat. The less you move the better. Look forward to seeing them in!

Thomas
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 09:35 AM