Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Martini 914 1974, restoration thread
falcor75
post Apr 23 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #401

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Thanks. I will have a look at the center mount option but I would prefer to keep the center cushion for my new little four legged JRT to ride with me and my son. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 30 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #402

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1588275497.1.jpg)

Well the seat reposition is done and the seats fit........the handbrake...not so much!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1588275498.2.jpg)

Time to design som bracketry.....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1588275499.3.jpg)

and make a handbrake relocation kit ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Apr 30 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #403

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Mats...wow...look at that handbrakeplate, really nice work.
One question...why did you make that small rectangular hole in the part under the seatframe that looks like a mouse ate his way through ? (between the spraycan and the lid of the spraycan)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 30 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #404

Thats a previous owners classy 5 point belt installation....
+Quote Post
falcor75
post May 3 2020, 05:27 AM
Post #405

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1588505227.1.jpg)

So I have revised the design a bit. The sticky outy bit simply isnt needed.
With four M8 riv nuts into the side of the sill its plenty sturdy. So I cut that off.
Sorry for the mismatched screws but it was what I had at hand in the right lengths.

The result is simply great. My handbrake has never felt very solid but this is such an improvement. The M12 nut holding the handle has since been replaced with a nyloc nut.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1588505228.2.jpg)

Seats and carpets back in.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1588505228.3.jpg)

Now I just have to choose which one of Oscars awsome keyrings to add to the keys for this season. I'm adding a PDF drawing of the bracket below for those that might need it.

Attached File  Hand_brake_bracket.PDF ( 62.66k ) Number of downloads: 86

+Quote Post
falcor75
post May 30 2020, 08:34 AM
Post #406

Got my new rear calipers from PMB this week after they have been out travelling for two months. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Yes it took that long for them to get here, first one month to get out of the US and then another month to get from Belgium to Sweden. I thought for sure the package was lost when I last sunday got an update it had reached Sweden.

Today me an my son started mounting them. They went on without any trouble and I bled them and had just hooked up the hand brake cables and was about to tighten them back up when I noticed a drip from the drivers side caliper.

Attached Image

You can just see the wet gleam ontop of the hand brake lever, it runs out the arm and then drips off the bottom clip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I've contacted PMB already to get their view on how to sort this out. Getting about one drop every 20-25 seconds.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 30 2020, 10:01 PM
Post #407

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Mats, that sucks. That's a lot of fluid leaking. I'm assuming you're not trying to drive the car. PMB does fantastic work. Because of the shipping delay and cost I hope there's a way you can repair this yourself. Sending it back then waiting for it to return would really bite. Eric is great to work with and even helped me out on an issue with a rear caliper that was restored by a different shop.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post May 31 2020, 12:12 AM
Post #408

Yes I'm not worried they wont help me get this right and no I wont be driving the car as it is. I may swap back my old drivers side caliper as only the passenger side was bad but I figured I would change both while I was at it.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post May 31 2020, 08:51 AM
Post #409

Hi Mats, too bad that happened. But the good part was that you had a chance on some father/son wrenching time ! I hope it will get solved soon !
+Quote Post
falcor75
post May 31 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #410

QUOTE(Frankvw @ May 31 2020, 04:51 PM) *

Hi Mats, too bad that happened. But the good part was that you had a chance on some father/son wrenching time ! I hope it will get solved soon !

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 2 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #411

Looks like I will be rebuilding the caliper myself tonight.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 3 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #412

My friend that ordered parts from PMB with the same package as my calipers kindly lent me one of her rebuilt kits untill I get the one PMB is sending out for me.

Took the caliper apart tonight and replaced the inner adjuster O-ring. Put everything back together and bled the brakes. Now I'll wait till morning and see if its dry or not.

Cross your fingers ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 3 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #413

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

One of my favorite build threads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 4 2020, 11:32 PM
Post #414

Seems to be leak free so far, I did have to tighten down the 8mm bleed nipples quite hard to stop them weeping under brake pressure. Everything was dry when I left it last night and it still looked ok at a quick glance this morning before I headed to work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 16 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #415

Had a wierd issue occur today. I havnt had the car started since march since the ECU has been away being repaired. Got it back today and loaded it up with my tune and everything worked fine. Except that my hand brake flasher is on all the time as soon as I turn on the ignition.

When moved my handbrake earlier I completely removed the hand brake switch but I cant see how that is the issue since it is "on" when grounded. Removing the switch should have it permanently off.

Turn signals and emergency flasher works fine. Brake pedal switch is connected. The only way I have found to get the flashing to stop is to disconnect the two brown/yellow cables from the warning light.

Any ideas please? I'm desperate to drive my car but I would prefer to do it without the warning light disconnected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jun 16 2020, 11:48 AM
Post #416

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Is this as simple as resetting the master cylinder switch? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Mats, when you changed brakes you lost pressure in your brake system. Most (many?) master cylinders have a warning switch that gets set when that happens. If it does there should be a little reset button on the master cylinder where the two wires are located. Easier to see when driver's side front wheel is off, I believe.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 16 2020, 12:35 PM
Post #417

Aaah thank you Navy, I just pulled out the wiring diagrams prior to reading your post and saw that one of the two brown/yellows do indeed lead to the brake warning switch.
I cant remember if there is a button on it but I will pull the belly pan off tomorrow after work and check. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 17 2020, 12:02 PM
Post #418

Thank you @BeatNavy , it was indeed the master cylinder switch. Reset it and all was normal.

Took the car out for a short drive around the block, this revealed the brakes to be a tad on the spongy side. Back into the garage and up on jackstands and my son and I did a complete brake bleed. Back down again and then out for a half hour drive just to make sure it was running ok.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1592416972.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1592416978.2.jpg)

Cylinder 1 is running 15-20 C warmer than the others but it did the same last year.
Did a few accelerations and brake sessions just to get some temp into the brakes. Then cruised around for another 10 minutes before driving back into the garage.

I did raise the rear from the second notch on the Bilstens to the topmost one. Does anyone know how this affects the toe values, does it move towards toe in or toe out?
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Aug 13 2020, 11:23 AM
Post #419

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYXZSTPqvGg

Dropped my son off with his phone in the long bend between the mountains here and I love the sound echoing before the car even comes into view.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 13 2020, 11:31 AM
Post #420

Hi Mats, great sound in the car ! nice video.
+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:48 AM