Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Tank Question, Replacing Plastic Hose
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 12 2013, 09:30 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I am replacing my plastic tunnel fuel lines that go to the fuel tank with stainless steel lines.

My question is this: The rubber hoses that goes from tank to fuel line, do you disconnect and connect from steering cover underneath or do you allow enough hoses to do it from the top?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Feb 12 2013, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I left 4' of extra hose on mine. Makes it very easy to remove the take. It also makes it easy to kink the lines, so be careful reinstalling the tank!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

IMHO if you don't have the tank out then do it the factory short hose way from below - & do the FP relocation up on the front firewall behind the steering rack/cover at the same time - if you've had vapor lock problems & not had it moved there before now (AA sells a hardware kit for parts to reloc, & email me if you want pix of mine done back in the late 70's).

However, if you're pulling the tank, then do it that way, but I personally don't like all the extra hose noted above cuz it leaves more area to develop an unseen leak.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 12 2013, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

The fuel pump was moved to engine firewall 15 years ago and it solved the dreaded vapor lock. Happen once in Arizona where it was 110 degrees. State Patrol stopped and said when it finally starts to run your heater! Thank goodness I could take the top off!
+Quote Post
Black22
post Feb 12 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 12 2013, 08:23 AM) *

Happen once in Arizona where it was 110 degrees. State Patrol stopped and said when it finally starts to run your heater!

That will work for a water cooled car. I don't think it does a thing for our cars.
+Quote Post
chads74
post Feb 12 2013, 11:46 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,252

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 12 2013, 08:34 AM) *

I left 4' of extra hose on mine. Makes it very easy to remove the take. It also makes it easy to kink the lines, so be careful reinstalling the tank!

I just put my tank in last week and left a little extra fuel line thinking I would just hook up the lines then drop the tank the rest of the way in. I ended up taking the tank back out and cutting them short like the stock lines cause I couldn't keep from getting kinks on the line. Its a pain hooking them up from the bottom, but much easier in the end. Just my .02
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 12 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered stainless steel lines from Tangerine Racing today and will replace real soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Feb 12 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Find a way to stuff 256' of rubber hose under your tank, and you'll have an extra gallon
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 12 2013, 03:30 PM
Post #9

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 12 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Happen once in Arizona where it was 110 degrees. State Patrol stopped and said when it finally starts to run your heater!

That will work for a water cooled car. I don't think it does a thing for our cars.

Actually, the trooper was right. Turning on the heater will direct the hot air into the cabin instead of dupming it all on the fuel pump. Not really something I would want to do, but being 130 degrees in the cabin is still better than sitting on the side of the road till it cools down.
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Feb 12 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,838

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 12 2013, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 12 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Actually, the trooper was right. Turning on the heater will direct the hot air into the cabin instead of dupming it all on the fuel pump. Not really something I would want to do, but being 130 degrees in the cabin is still better than sitting on the side of the road till it cools down.

I discovered this with my '70 some years back, got vapor lock a few times on the interstate in hot weather, and the "turn on the heater" trick worked.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 09:13 PM