Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I am replacing my plastic tunnel fuel lines that go to the fuel tank with stainless steel lines.

My question is this: The rubber hoses that goes from tank to fuel line, do you disconnect and connect from steering cover underneath or do you allow enough hoses to do it from the top?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
timothy_nd28
I left 4' of extra hose on mine. Makes it very easy to remove the take. It also makes it easy to kink the lines, so be careful reinstalling the tank!
Tom_T
IMHO if you don't have the tank out then do it the factory short hose way from below - & do the FP relocation up on the front firewall behind the steering rack/cover at the same time - if you've had vapor lock problems & not had it moved there before now (AA sells a hardware kit for parts to reloc, & email me if you want pix of mine done back in the late 70's).

However, if you're pulling the tank, then do it that way, but I personally don't like all the extra hose noted above cuz it leaves more area to develop an unseen leak.
JawjaPorsche
The fuel pump was moved to engine firewall 15 years ago and it solved the dreaded vapor lock. Happen once in Arizona where it was 110 degrees. State Patrol stopped and said when it finally starts to run your heater! Thank goodness I could take the top off!
Black22
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 12 2013, 08:23 AM) *

Happen once in Arizona where it was 110 degrees. State Patrol stopped and said when it finally starts to run your heater!

That will work for a water cooled car. I don't think it does a thing for our cars.
chads74
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 12 2013, 08:34 AM) *

I left 4' of extra hose on mine. Makes it very easy to remove the take. It also makes it easy to kink the lines, so be careful reinstalling the tank!

I just put my tank in last week and left a little extra fuel line thinking I would just hook up the lines then drop the tank the rest of the way in. I ended up taking the tank back out and cutting them short like the stock lines cause I couldn't keep from getting kinks on the line. Its a pain hooking them up from the bottom, but much easier in the end. Just my .02
JawjaPorsche
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered stainless steel lines from Tangerine Racing today and will replace real soon! beerchug.gif
timothy_nd28
Find a way to stuff 256' of rubber hose under your tank, and you'll have an extra gallon
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 12 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Happen once in Arizona where it was 110 degrees. State Patrol stopped and said when it finally starts to run your heater!

That will work for a water cooled car. I don't think it does a thing for our cars.

Actually, the trooper was right. Turning on the heater will direct the hot air into the cabin instead of dupming it all on the fuel pump. Not really something I would want to do, but being 130 degrees in the cabin is still better than sitting on the side of the road till it cools down.
walterolin
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 12 2013, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 12 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Actually, the trooper was right. Turning on the heater will direct the hot air into the cabin instead of dupming it all on the fuel pump. Not really something I would want to do, but being 130 degrees in the cabin is still better than sitting on the side of the road till it cools down.

I discovered this with my '70 some years back, got vapor lock a few times on the interstate in hot weather, and the "turn on the heater" trick worked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.