Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine paint, Tips and tricks needed
ThinAir
post Nov 14 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've seen some pretty nice looking Type IV engines here. Often they feature painting the fan housing and intake runners in addition to the sheet metal. Now I know powder coating is the preferred way to go, but I doubt this is a possibility for my project.

So what are your recommendations for prepping these surfaces for paint, whether to use primer and how to choose one, and what type of paint to use?

Thanks in advance for the input!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Nov 14 2004, 09:36 PM
Post #2

Best friends

P.S. -

No, I won't be putting any paint on the long block! I'm only interested in the 3 areas I mentioned and the air cleaner.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Nov 14 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,923

Ernie

I just painted a set of tin, blower housing, and runners with the same stuff I use on cars - Dupont urethane Chromabase and a few coats of clear. It's looks like glass. I had the parts bead-blasted then a coat of epoxy primer. Too bad Flag's not a little closer as I'd paint them for you. I have lots of paint in a lot of colors.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Nov 14 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I got some high temp rattle can stuff at my local auto parts store. I think it was like 5 bucks a bottle, and I got satin black. It turned out pretty good, I think.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Nov 14 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,432

if your just doing the tin/intake on a budget, any kind of spray can will work. Prep w/ a sandable primer and wetsand w/ some 500 or so. Ill prob be doing the chromabase thing too but either way will work great.
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Nov 14 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

I ended up using Rust-Oleum "Hammered" Premium Dark Bronze on the fan housing and runners and "Satin Black" Premium on the tins. Not much prep required. I just degreased the parts, sanded with 400 and 600 wed dry and sprayed 2-3 light coats, no primer and it will inhibit rust. Let it dry for a day and it will stay even under extreme heat. It ends up baked on from the engine heat.

I used this on a cast iron head for my triumph and it's stayed nice for about 2 years now...and it gets real hot.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Nov 14 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #7

Best friends

Thanks guys! Those ideas help a lot.

Guy - I might contact you about doing this. I want to be ready for WCC2005 and I've been wondering about how I was going to paint at this time of year in Flagstaff since I don't have a garage. Building the engine in my carport is going to be enough fun as it is. It might be worth the drive to Tucson. The high today was 41F.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 15 2004, 02:26 AM
Post #8

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

i forget the name, but i used some rattle can high heat stuff that you're supposed to bake to cure it. i used it on my old rx-7's exhaust heat shields. seemed to stand up to road debris. also, my dad used it on his sportsters jugs.
that was about 4 years ago and it still looks good. no chips or peeling or anything. i'll try to get a brand name.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 15 2004, 02:28 AM
Post #9

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

found it. dupli-color high heat 1200'. no need to bake it if you're using it on hot engine bits though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 11:05 AM