Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I've seen some pretty nice looking Type IV engines here. Often they feature painting the fan housing and intake runners in addition to the sheet metal. Now I know powder coating is the preferred way to go, but I doubt this is a possibility for my project.

So what are your recommendations for prepping these surfaces for paint, whether to use primer and how to choose one, and what type of paint to use?

Thanks in advance for the input!
ThinAir
P.S. -

No, I won't be putting any paint on the long block! I'm only interested in the 3 areas I mentioned and the air cleaner.
914GT
Ernie

I just painted a set of tin, blower housing, and runners with the same stuff I use on cars - Dupont urethane Chromabase and a few coats of clear. It's looks like glass. I had the parts bead-blasted then a coat of epoxy primer. Too bad Flag's not a little closer as I'd paint them for you. I have lots of paint in a lot of colors.
MattR
I got some high temp rattle can stuff at my local auto parts store. I think it was like 5 bucks a bottle, and I got satin black. It turned out pretty good, I think.
xsboost90
if your just doing the tin/intake on a budget, any kind of spray can will work. Prep w/ a sandable primer and wetsand w/ some 500 or so. Ill prob be doing the chromabase thing too but either way will work great.
newdeal2
I ended up using Rust-Oleum "Hammered" Premium Dark Bronze on the fan housing and runners and "Satin Black" Premium on the tins. Not much prep required. I just degreased the parts, sanded with 400 and 600 wed dry and sprayed 2-3 light coats, no primer and it will inhibit rust. Let it dry for a day and it will stay even under extreme heat. It ends up baked on from the engine heat.

I used this on a cast iron head for my triumph and it's stayed nice for about 2 years now...and it gets real hot.
ThinAir
Thanks guys! Those ideas help a lot.

Guy - I might contact you about doing this. I want to be ready for WCC2005 and I've been wondering about how I was going to paint at this time of year in Flagstaff since I don't have a garage. Building the engine in my carport is going to be enough fun as it is. It might be worth the drive to Tucson. The high today was 41F.
mattillac
i forget the name, but i used some rattle can high heat stuff that you're supposed to bake to cure it. i used it on my old rx-7's exhaust heat shields. seemed to stand up to road debris. also, my dad used it on his sportsters jugs.
that was about 4 years ago and it still looks good. no chips or peeling or anything. i'll try to get a brand name.
mattillac
found it. dupli-color high heat 1200'. no need to bake it if you're using it on hot engine bits though. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.