Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First AX in a week - tips and hints?
Randal
post Mar 11 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

QUOTE(tadink @ Mar 11 2013, 02:49 PM) *

Hey all -

what a great time! wowza - toooo much fun.

got there early and walked the course with JimN73 from above - and a couple of other teener drivers. Great exchange of info and all were very helpful. Then walked the course with Redwood 914 owner / driver / instructor Bob who talked the newbies thru the course in great detail.

I squatted down to get a feel for what it looked like from the driver's seat vs. standing up - and that helped a LOT.

first run with instructor bob in the passenger seat - took it slowly to learn the course.

2nd thru 6th also had Bob in the car - and aside from hitting some cones my time gradually improved. Final run was solo - best time of the day but still over 10% off the big kids. No matter - I was grinning from ear to ear.

Car performed well - I'm sitting a little high and need to lower front and rear to get the mass down a bit. Running 17" wheels and 255/40 on the rear and 205/50 on the front....LOTS of rubber on the ground but found I was over-inflated for the first few runs, gradually decreased tire pressure thru the day and wound up at 30psi on the front, 32 psi on the rears. ContiSports all around.

So - I learned that I can go a LOT faster than I thought I could. I was over-breaking in prep for the sharper corners. I did get a little loose a couple of times and even came thru the finish line sideways - so I think I was aggressive enough!

Lots of learning to go - and I will certainly be back out there! just great to feel how connected these cars are - and to see the vast range of vehicles / driving skills making their way around the course.

anyone who has NOT done this - you should go for it. more fun than you can imagine and no one had "attitude".

Thanks everyone for all the help -

td

They have great courses up at Redwood. Great facility and nice people.
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and don't worry about where you finish. Just get a bunch of seat time and ride with instructors whenever you can.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Mar 12 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #22

B-)

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah, when they do the finish line just after that corner, and the street tires are getting warm and greasy, that "sideways finish" happens when you're pushing the limits.
My schedule is soooo busy lately I sure hope I can make it to a NorCal AX this Spring.

March 16 is out - I'll be here instead http://www.seaturtles.org/article.php?id=2431
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:53 PM