Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem installing Polybronze bushing, Bushing not fitting
skeates
post Mar 6 2013, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,684
Region Association: Northern California

Hey guys, I've been putting together my set of Elephant Racing bushings for the front control arms, but seem to have run into a bit of a problem...

The bushing went into the front mounts without any problems (only needed the 100-150 lbs of force mentioned in the instructions). However, where they go into the rear mounts the fit is significantly tighter! For one I couldn't start it by hand like the fronts, and it definitely took more more effort on the vice to push in. The bushing seated...mostly, but now I'm noticing a bulge in the red poyl material and the busing won't seat any further into the mount (see pics below). I never measured the interference on the fronts, but I'm seeing somewhere close to 4 one-hundredths interference for the rear. Am I missing something here?

I was thinking about using a torch to gently heat the mount it get it to expand a bit but I am worried that doing so could/will ruin the busing. Anyone else run into this problem before?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Mar 6 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #2

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

I had the same issue on one cup. I found it was slightly cockeyed and took several attempts to get in right. a little rotation on the way in seemed to help.
+Quote Post
skeates
post Mar 6 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #3

Well, I suppose I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who's had this problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When you say "several attempts" does that mean that you removed the bushing and then re-seated it, or do you mean that you rotated the whole assembly and then pressed again? I think that it may be a wee bit crooked, but not too much. In the vice I can get the bronze flange flush with the mount. but as soon as I relieve the pressure the bushing seems to pop back out to what you see in the above pics. Maybe I just need to keep at it?
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Mar 6 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #4

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

looks like it's not seated right in your pictures, Same situation I had and we did remove and reinstalled it at lease 5 times until it went in without pinching the poly.

+Quote Post
skeates
post Mar 7 2013, 12:28 AM
Post #5

Hmmm....sounds like fun. I suppose this might give me the excuse I need to convince the wife that a shop press really would make a useful addition to the garage. It could double as a wine press too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Thanks for the feedback Andy! I'll try pressing the bushing back out and then re-seating it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 05:10 PM