Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem installing Polybronze bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skeates
Hey guys, I've been putting together my set of Elephant Racing bushings for the front control arms, but seem to have run into a bit of a problem...

The bushing went into the front mounts without any problems (only needed the 100-150 lbs of force mentioned in the instructions). However, where they go into the rear mounts the fit is significantly tighter! For one I couldn't start it by hand like the fronts, and it definitely took more more effort on the vice to push in. The bushing seated...mostly, but now I'm noticing a bulge in the red poyl material and the busing won't seat any further into the mount (see pics below). I never measured the interference on the fronts, but I'm seeing somewhere close to 4 one-hundredths interference for the rear. Am I missing something here?

I was thinking about using a torch to gently heat the mount it get it to expand a bit but I am worried that doing so could/will ruin the busing. Anyone else run into this problem before?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Socalandy
I had the same issue on one cup. I found it was slightly cockeyed and took several attempts to get in right. a little rotation on the way in seemed to help.
skeates
Well, I suppose I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who's had this problem smile.gif

When you say "several attempts" does that mean that you removed the bushing and then re-seated it, or do you mean that you rotated the whole assembly and then pressed again? I think that it may be a wee bit crooked, but not too much. In the vice I can get the bronze flange flush with the mount. but as soon as I relieve the pressure the bushing seems to pop back out to what you see in the above pics. Maybe I just need to keep at it?
Socalandy
looks like it's not seated right in your pictures, Same situation I had and we did remove and reinstalled it at lease 5 times until it went in without pinching the poly.

skeates
Hmmm....sounds like fun. I suppose this might give me the excuse I need to convince the wife that a shop press really would make a useful addition to the garage. It could double as a wine press too! drunk.gif

Thanks for the feedback Andy! I'll try pressing the bushing back out and then re-seating it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.