Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2013 Parade: Went over my Score Sheet, Some errors that I did not contest...
orthobiz
post Mar 9 2013, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am a half-year 914 guy, the car spends a lot of time in winter storage here in Northern Michigan. I bought my 1974 1.8 in 2007, helped along by the generous advice of 914world members.

Now the Parade is only 40 miles from my house, I am thinking of entering the concours.

Immediate questions involve the completely unoriginal radio, wheels that have been repainted, and front and rear sways that I had installed when Brad Mayeur did the original work on it.

Otherwise it is a very clean car. I am wondering if I am ineligible for a "survivor" judging because of these mods?

My original thread with pics:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=69564&hl=

Thanks for your help.

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Mar 9 2013, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

Absolutely! If not the Preservation class, enter the Touring class. Loose the coco matts, tidy up your support material and go for it!!
+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 9 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535

What parade are you speaking of?
And when where, please?
Found it

The 58th Annual Porsche Parade
June 23-29, 2013
Grand Traverse Resort and Spa
Traverse City, Michigan
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 9 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Paul,

Preservation is Survivor/Originality & is 75% original per our Zone 8 rules, which AFAIK are the same for national Parade.

This applies to paint/body trim - so replaced rubber/seals & wear items are okay in most cases, along with some paint touch-up. Tires also are wear items, but a set of 5 period correct Michelin XZX 165SR15 tubeless ones will add to your competitiveness.

And it applies to interior - so some carpet replacement - the radios were mostly all dealer or owner installed aftermarket, but you may want to find a period correct radio to swap out for competitiveness sake too.

Similarly for the engine bay & underside engine & non-engine ends/halves. Aside from cleaning up & detailing everything, look for mismatch details like one bold silver & other gold zinc plated, new vs. old period correct items. You'll just have to deal with a possible challenge or few points gigged for the sway bar addition, but maybe not!?

Your pix look great, so you'll have a shorter work list to prep, and a few local concours will help you fine tune for Parade.

While I've not been around PCA & judging long enough to have done a Parade, the guys I know who have say they're basically looking for anything to gig cars on in order to cut down the big fields in national events (vs. local & regional PCA concours).

So you'll need to prep to pristine, detail & check to exactness (local/regional usually won't look at originality items, but ask any judges there what they look for at Parade where the do judge originality), and document everything you can on your 914 - then hope you can stack up well against the other models in the running - as well as the 914s.

You should be able to find some upcoming & past Parade judges in your area to help you go over your 914.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 10 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #5

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 9 2013, 11:54 AM) *

I am a half-year 914 guy, the car spends a lot of time in winter storage here in Northern Michigan. I bought my 1974 1.8 in 2007, helped along by the generous advice of 914world members.

Now the Parade is only 40 miles from my house, I am thinking of entering the concours.

Immediate questions involve the completely unoriginal radio, wheels that have been repainted, and front and rear sways that I had installed when Brad Mayeur did the original work on it.

Otherwise it is a very clean car. I am wondering if I am ineligible for a "survivor" judging because of these mods?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Hi Paul, looking forward to seeing you at Parade & your beautiful 914.

I am also entering my 914-4 at Parade in Traverse City this year. March 12th-14th is registration day. I know my car is not in the Preservation class so I am thinking about entering in "Street" or "Restored" but don't know where I qualify???

Any advise from the 914 gallery????? Can you explain what they do in each class?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) What Class??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

BTW: My car was restored about (12) years ago and it has some cleaning issues to get in Parade shape. I hate cleaning so it will only get a dust & buff. I will be there for the fun with my 914 friend so it really does not matter, well a little bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Tom

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 10 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 9 2013, 10:54 AM) *

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Hey Paul!

I'd go for the Preservation class with that one.

Super detail everything, then do it again. It's fun, though it can be a little stressful if you really expect to be in the running.

Most judges of the smaller classes are not out to hammer every little nuance, but stay with the cat when it's judged. Know everything about the car and be ready if a judge asks you about originality of any items. Judges don't always know everything about these cars, though they are expected to. If they question something, respond truthfully. If you are gigged for something you know is a bogus gig, and the scoring is tight, you can protest. But you'd better be 100% certain and be able to prove it.

The last Parade I competed in I was told by an interior judge that my window cranks were non-original because they were chromed instead of black. I informed the judge that I was the original owner and that the cranks were as delivered in '72. He still gigged me anyway, and told me in no uncertain terms that he knew more than I. I had brought pics of the day I took delivery, as well as a '72 Porsche brochure, clearly showing the chromed cranks in both cases. When I showed them to him his fce got very red with anger, but removed the gig. Still lost by 0.3 points but felt better. I'll not divulge the name of the judge, but he should never have been judging 914s. When I chaired the '93 Parade Concours I made certain that people knowledgeable in the various models ONLY judged thos they knew. Unfortunately, the judging is now controlled by PCA National, and with the classes that combine models it requires judging knowledge of all models, and there very few that are capable of doing that.

Just be serious about it, and have fun at the event. Oh, and take a lot of pics!

I did the Traverse City Parade last time it was there, and rate the whole experience number 2 of my Parades - Aspen being the best.
P
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Mar 10 2013, 06:05 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

" I will be there for the fun with my 914 friend so it really does not matter, well a little bit. Tom "
I like the above quote.........
have fun and let the chips fall where they may.....
don't let the "Concour Madness" get to you....
sure judges will want "Q/Tip mentality"....
have a good time with that....but to remove sways and radio change out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) .
IF you Really want to win this...Give John Paterek an email....he was at Keystone
did you meet him up there???
I know he will enjoy your 914 as is.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ...just know that the repaint on wheels
won't kill yah...all these Barrett Jackson cars have been restored.....
just being there is half the fun, as above quote......plus damn it is Really in your
backyard....the expense to transport is next to nil.....
your car will get plenty of Oogle's and Ah's.....
and stories will abound from onlookers...I feel that is worth more than a ribbon..
Who know's..maybe you will come away with a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Rx
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Mar 11 2013, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

If you love your car, are passionate about it, know every little detail about it, and its a driver not a garage queen and obviously well maintained you will make some judges happy.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Mar 11 2013, 09:34 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(914runnow @ Mar 10 2013, 08:05 PM) *

"plus damn it is Really in your
Rx

"Transport"? Drive it!!

Nothing I hate more than completing against a car that arrived on a trailer, and especially those that travel to the event on a trailer and uploaded a few miles from the site!!!

I think it would be great if all entrants were required to drive a mandatory tour the day before the event. <grin>
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 11 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #10

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post again when I'm closer to getting it out of the winter storage garage.

I will absolutely drive it there although nothing can compare with Jafsmith driving from ?Maine? to San Diego? No Death Valley for me!

Maybe I'll go with Preservation. There's precious little that's been done to the car and under the coco mats are great carpets. I'll try to get in touch with the son of the original owner and ask him a few questions.

The sway bars are in for good, resprayed in the rear trunk after installation, and I believe the front will be harder to detect. They are original equipment, installed by Brad in 2007. Also some spray in the front compartment where someone had tried to jack the car up from the middle and the paint had peeled. I mean, what good is rust for no reason? Oh, and the engine compartment was resprayed. My original pics showed two little eyebrows of corrosion above the battery terminals.

I will show pics of the wheels. They were repainted in an off-silvery shiny color and are not appropriate. I have Fuchs alloys in decent-not-quite-concours shape that are on the car now. The steel wheels have the 165 tires, the Fuchs the 185's.

Paul
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 11 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Cool Paul. I'm hoping to be there as well.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 11 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #12

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

There is a slight (repeat, slight) chance that we'll stop my the Parade as oglers. Iwould really love to me the bunch of you in person.

Janice & I had such an enjoyable time at the last TC Parade. The cherries will be in season. The peninsular wineries will be ready (like a mini-Napa tour and they're pretty good), the Sleeping Bear dunes, the lake, etc, etc.

This really is a beautiful part of the country in the summer.

We'll see.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 11 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 11 2013, 02:39 PM) *

There is a slight (repeat, slight) chance that we'll stop my the Parade as oglers. Iwould really love to me the bunch of you in person.

Janice & I had such an enjoyable time at the last TC Parade. The cherries will be in season. The peninsular wineries will be ready (like a mini-Napa tour and they're pretty good), the Sleeping Bear dunes, the lake, etc, etc.

This really is a beautiful part of the country in the summer.

We'll see.

That would be cool, I'm sure a thread for a meetup will start as we draw near.

I'm pushing hard to move our summer MI trip a couple of weeks earlier just for Parade.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Mar 12 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Mar 11 2013, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ Mar 10 2013, 08:05 PM) *

"plus damn it is Really in your
Rx

"Transport"? Drive it!!

Nothing I hate more than completing against a car that arrived on a trailer, and especially those that travel to the event on a trailer and uploaded a few miles from the site!!!

I think it would be great if all entrants were required to drive a mandatory tour the day before the event. <grin>

Sorry lost in translation...next to nil is a gallon of gas to get it there,
and one to get it back...
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 12 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #15

I entered the concours in the "touring" class.

Looks like they have "full," "touring," and "street."

So, "touring" is more of the "survival" class?

Paul
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Mar 12 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #16

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Glad you are showing it.

If my 914 looked as nice as that one, I'd show EVERY chance I got.

Don't think I am making the parade this year, but if I do I look forward to seeing your car!
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Mar 13 2013, 08:56 AM
Post #17

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

Go to the Parade site and download the Parade Competion Rules, PCR's, read em and read em again. All will be revealed.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 13 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #18

I feel a bit silly because I cannot find the competition rules. Can anyone provide a direct link please?

Paul
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 14 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #19

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm in the middle of the registration process now as well.

I'm trying to figure out what class to put it in!?!?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

SMI - PF03F - Full-All Series Street-Modified?? HELP A NEWBIE!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10742-1363275129.jpg)
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Mar 14 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,534

Dunno Eric

Seems to be in a class of it's own...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Let us know how that all works out!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:50 PM