Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Virus from 'support@microsoft'
Mockmaw
post May 19 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 438

I don't know how people feel about wildly OT posts such as this, but security issues have been posted on other boards in the past.

There's a virus spreading like wildfire, at least here in Berkeley. It's a mail from 'support@microsoft.com' with an attached .pif file; the body of the message saying something to the effect of "all information is in the attached file."

The important details can be found at Symantec's site:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...w.mankx@mm.html

It's not particularly harmful except in terms of clogging networks and servers, but I figured I'd mention it in any case.

I know I'm being brief, I'll elaborate if others need more information/assistance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
GWN7
post May 19 2003, 05:10 AM
Post #2

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Thanks for the warning. I always like to know when someone is trying to make my life a little more uncomfortable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post May 19 2003, 05:32 AM
Post #3

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Some ways you can protect yourself:

1. Get a good AV product and keep it updated. Some businesses have software licensing agreements to allow employees to use the same AV product at home, if you do any kind of work from home.

2. If you use Outlook (like I do), disable the preview window in the main In-Box.

3. Use "Rules" in Outlook. Shuffle all email with attachments to a special folder (with the preview window off). If in doubt of an attachment - delete it.

-Rusty
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 19 2003, 07:55 AM
Post #4

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I appreciate seeing items like this when someone has actually researched it as you did and knows that it is a legitimate warning. 99% of the time when I see this stuff it is actually a hoax that is easy to check out at sites like Symantec or McAfee if only people would do it. You get a gold star for doing it right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) !!!
+Quote Post
need4speed
post May 19 2003, 09:15 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 564

Ironically, this email message may be the most worthwhile thing you'll ever get from support@microsoft.com. . .

(unfortunately, I've had the experience to know that this is actually true). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:43 AM