Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Virus from 'support@microsoft'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mockmaw
I don't know how people feel about wildly OT posts such as this, but security issues have been posted on other boards in the past.

There's a virus spreading like wildfire, at least here in Berkeley. It's a mail from 'support@microsoft.com' with an attached .pif file; the body of the message saying something to the effect of "all information is in the attached file."

The important details can be found at Symantec's site:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...w.mankx@mm.html

It's not particularly harmful except in terms of clogging networks and servers, but I figured I'd mention it in any case.

I know I'm being brief, I'll elaborate if others need more information/assistance.
GWN7
Thanks for the warning. I always like to know when someone is trying to make my life a little more uncomfortable. clap56.gif
Lawrence
Some ways you can protect yourself:

1. Get a good AV product and keep it updated. Some businesses have software licensing agreements to allow employees to use the same AV product at home, if you do any kind of work from home.

2. If you use Outlook (like I do), disable the preview window in the main In-Box.

3. Use "Rules" in Outlook. Shuffle all email with attachments to a special folder (with the preview window off). If in doubt of an attachment - delete it.

-Rusty
ThinAir
I appreciate seeing items like this when someone has actually researched it as you did and knows that it is a legitimate warning. 99% of the time when I see this stuff it is actually a hoax that is easy to check out at sites like Symantec or McAfee if only people would do it. You get a gold star for doing it right! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif !!!
need4speed
Ironically, this email message may be the most worthwhile thing you'll ever get from support@microsoft.com. . .

(unfortunately, I've had the experience to know that this is actually true). fighting19.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.