Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Clutch Cable replacement diagram or Transmission Problem
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 22 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,350
Region Association: None

I have a 1974 porsche 914 2.0 with a clutch problem. It was parked for several years and when i started back up, the 1st and reverse gears were grinding when putting it in gear. I got underneath the car, replaced the shifter bushing and adjusted the clutch cable, problem solved for 2 days. First the car started ginding again in 1st and reverse. Now it will not let me put it in any gear. I am going back underneath the car this week to look at the clutch cable, does anyone have a diagram and how much it should move when pedal is pushed. Any other ideas or anyone have this problem before. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 22 2013, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Search "broken clutch tube" on here. You're in for some welding buddy!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 22 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Which bushing did you change? Since it shifted good for 2 days I'll bet the cone screw has backed out. Some folks say they are only a one time use, but I've found blue locktite holds them just fine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 22 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 22 2013, 02:47 PM) *

Which bushing did you change? Since it shifted good for 2 days I'll bet the cone screw has backed out. Some folks say they are only a one time use, but I've found blue locktite holds them just fine.

Yes, but he had a problem before that with it grinding going into gear. He adjusted the cable and it came back. Could be a cone screw, and Curt, your knowledge far surpasses mine, but I think that sounds more like a clutch tube ripping from its mounts.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 22 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #5

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 22 2013, 01:55 PM) *

Yes, but he had a problem before that with it grinding going into gear. He adjusted the cable and it came back. Could be a cone screw, and Curt, your knowledge far surpasses mine, but I think that sounds more like a clutch tube ripping from its mounts.

He also changed a bushing which means he had at least one cone screw out. Hard to say which cured the problem when you perform two fixes at the same time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 22 2013, 03:13 PM
Post #6

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Anytime reverse grinds it means that your clutch is not releasing completely. So, this means that cable/tube/etc external to the transmission is the issue.
+Quote Post
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 22 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #7

looks like I have a project for this week, will keep everyone posted to see what I find. thanks
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 22 2013, 04:40 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You can located which end is loose then drill an 1.25" hole slightly above it allowing you to insert a U bolt over the tube and back thru the tunnel wall. I was going to weld mine up before this conversion began but won't need it now. If its the front that tore loose I can get you a pic and the dimension to drill if you don't want to weld it. If you weld it take care not to weld the cable inside the tube. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Mar 22 2013, 04:52 PM
Post #9

James D. Lane

Member No.: 15,210
Region Association: Southwest Region

Try adjusting the cable some more. I had to do mine a couple of times back to back like that.
+Quote Post
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 22 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Mar 22 2013, 02:52 PM) *

Try adjusting the cable some more. I had to do mine a couple of times back to back like that.

I cant adjust the cable anymore, it was almost at the end.
+Quote Post
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 22 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 22 2013, 02:40 PM) *

You can located which end is loose then drill an 1.25" hole slightly above it allowing you to insert a U bolt over the tube and back thru the tunnel wall. I was going to weld mine up before this conversion began but won't need it now. If its the front that tore loose I can get you a pic and the dimension to drill if you don't want to weld it. If you weld it take care not to weld the cable inside the tube. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Can you send me pics, would like to see what my easy option is, thanks
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Mar 22 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Between Clutch Cable End Clevis and adjustment nuts, I have a 1/2 inch long metal sleeve so I can adjust the cable more. Does your cable have the barrel like sleeve? You can use a bunch of small washers but a sleeve works the best.

Did you put a new clutch cable when you replace the bushings? They will stretch then break at the worst times. Ask me how I know! Even a new one will stretch a little after a few days of use. Which might explain why yours worked for a few days.

I would try this before tearing into your clutch cable tubes in the floorboard.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 22 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #13

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I have also seen the disc rusted to the pressure plate after sitting for years. This could cause your symptoms.

Most likely you have a stretched cable. You could try a larger nut as a spacer under the adjusting nut. If you can then adjust and make it work, you know the cable stretched.
+Quote Post
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 23 2013, 05:27 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 22 2013, 07:33 PM) *

Between Clutch Cable End Clevis and adjustment nuts, I have a 1/2 inch long metal sleeve so I can adjust the cable more. Does your cable have the barrel like sleeve? You can use a bunch of small washers but a sleeve works the best.

Did you put a new clutch cable when you replace the bushings? They will stretch then break at the worst times. Ask me how I know! Even a new one will stretch a little after a few days of use. Which might explain why yours worked for a few days.

I would try this before tearing into your clutch cable tubes in the floorboard.

I bought a new cable and was going to install it.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 23 2013, 05:49 AM
Post #15

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Post a picture of the firewall from under the engine where the clutch cable enters the cabin. With this pic, it can be confirmed if the clutch tube is attached properly.

2 general reasons why you have to adjust the cable only days apart are a stretching and ready-to-break clutch cable and the clutch tube in the cabin is loose.
+Quote Post
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 23 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 23 2013, 03:49 AM) *

Post a picture of the firewall from under the engine where the clutch cable enters the cabin. With this pic, it can be confirmed if the clutch tube is attached properly.

2 general reasons why you have to adjust the cable only days apart are a stretching and ready-to-break clutch cable and the clutch tube in the cabin is loose.

here is some quik pictures, will start working on this later today to see what the problem is.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 23 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #17

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 22 2013, 11:55 AM) *

No, it COULD NOT be the cone screw. Based on his description, his issue is grinding due to poor clutch disengagement, NOT being unable to find the gears.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
crresind
post Mar 23 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,175
Region Association: Southern California

Judging by the bottom picture, I would say that the clutch cable tube has come loose. There is rust evident at the bottom seam of the floor where the tube is welded to to the vertical wall. this could cause the tube in the tunnel to work back and forth with each disengagement, that then causes the tube to come loose further forward in the tunnel. I would not be surprised if the tube is moving at both ends. Welding is in order.
+Quote Post
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 24 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #19

Attached ImageI took the cable out, it looks like the black casing has shrank on both sides because of the pressure. The cable I bought on line of course is the wrong cable, ordered a new replacement from auto Atlanta. I attached pictures of the cable, hope the new one works, will keep everyone posted when I get the new cable. The tubes were not broken.
+Quote Post
juliomagdaleno
post Mar 29 2013, 08:18 AM
Post #20

Got my new cable and it was the right one. I installed the cable and noticed another problem that could also be the cause of my problem. The bushings on the pedal assembly need to be replaced. The pedal has movement. Going to the porsche dealer now to pick up the new bushings. If its not one thing, its another. Just want to get it repaired to drive this weekend.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:25 AM