Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Hoosiers and my suspension, What is going on?
ww914
post Mar 23 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #1

914 Convert

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

Today at the track, with my new Hoosier A6's, I was lifting the inside front tire. I had installed 180 lb springs, took off the rear sway bar and tightened up the front 19mm Tarrett just a little. Everyone at the track told me that I needed beefier springs in the back. Well, I have 220 lbs springs, shall I try them? Shall I leave the sway bar off? Should I soften or tighten the front sway bar? Oh, I am running 205/15 on 5.5 rims. I am looking at 7" rims to get the patch better. Any other recommendations?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 23 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

If the car feels balanced I wouldn't really worry about it as its quite common. What size torsion bars are you running? I'm running 22 mm torsion bars with a 19mm swaybar on full stiff and 250 pound springs in the rear. My car is just a touch tail happy but doesn't lift the inside front as much as it used to with the 180 pounders.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 24 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 23 2013, 08:07 PM) *

If the car feels balanced I wouldn't really worry about it as its quite common. What size torsion bars are you running? I'm running 22 mm torsion bars with a 19mm swaybar on full stiff and 250 pound springs in the rear. My car is just a touch tail happy but doesn't lift the inside front as much as it used to with the 180 pounders.

I'm running 240 lb springs in back and no sway bar. The Smart Racing front sway bar is the lightest one (of three) offered and is set soft for Autox. When running the track I tighten up the front adjuster to the middle setting on the Smart Racing setup.

A lot of what you depends upon the overall weight of the car.
+Quote Post
ww914
post Mar 25 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #4

914 Convert

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2013, 11:12 PM) *

I'm running 240 lb springs in back and no sway bar. The Smart Racing front sway bar is the lightest one (of three) offered and is set soft for Autox. When running the track I tighten up the front adjuster to the middle setting on the Smart Racing setup.

Randal, I see in your avatar that your front ends lifts as well or is that an old photo? To me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that lifting that leading front tire is not the fastest way around the track. I think I will leave the 180 lb springs on for now and re-install the rear sway bar and see what happens. Maybe I will soften the front 19mm sway bar a little as well.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 25 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Ignore when people tell you a tire is coming off the ground and go by how the car feels.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 25 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 25 2013, 01:59 PM) *

Ignore when people tell you a tire is coming off the ground and go by how the car feels.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 25 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ww914 @ Mar 25 2013, 11:16 AM) *

Randal, I see in your avatar that your front ends lifts as well or is that an old photo? To me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that lifting that leading front tire is not the fastest way around the track. I think I will leave the 180 lb springs on for now and re-install the rear sway bar and see what happens. Maybe I will soften the front 19mm sway bar a little as well.

If you look closely at that avatar, you see that the rear wheel is off the ground as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

To be honest I'm not sure whether that was before the change to 240 springs or not.

I also agree with the post Chris made as if the car feels good, go with it. In my case I was surprised when Trekkor took that picture showing the car up on two wheels as the car felt perfect.

If you reinstall the rear sway bar it might help to keep the wheels down, but now you have two issues (really three) to worry about in the rear, i.e., shocks, springs and sway bar.
+Quote Post
ww914
post Mar 25 2013, 07:29 PM
Post #8

914 Convert

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 25 2013, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ww914 @ Mar 25 2013, 11:16 AM) *

If you look closely at that avatar, you see that the rear wheel is off the ground as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

To be honest I'm not sure whether that was before the change to 240 springs or not.

I also agree with the post Chris made as if the car feels good, go with it. In my case I was surprised when Trekkor took that picture and showed me the car up on two wheels as the car felt perfect.

If you reinstall the rear sway bar it might help to keep the wheels down, but now you have two issues (really three) to worry about in the rear, i.e., shocks, springs and sway bar.

So, I guess what I am hearing you pro's say is to not worry about trying to get the wheel down if the car feels good. Well, now that I am a fully experienced 4 AX driver, how the hell do I know? I think it handles better than before, but I still feel like I am doing a lot of drifting around the cones. That can't be the fastest route, can it?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 25 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Which end of the car would you like to have more grip?
+Quote Post
ww914
post Mar 25 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #10

914 Convert

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 25 2013, 07:10 PM) *

The rear, I guess, since right now there is only one wheel on the ground in the front.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2013, 12:01 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ww914 @ Mar 25 2013, 08:05 PM) *

The rear, I guess, since right now there is only one wheel on the ground in the front.

So was the car loose in front, i.e., understeering?

Or loose in the back, i.e., oversteering?

+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 26 2013, 06:06 AM
Post #12

If the back end is loose you need to stiffen up the front. If the car plows you need to stiffen the rear. I'd toss the rear swaybar unless you have a limited slip differential.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ww914
post Mar 26 2013, 07:33 AM
Post #13

914 Convert

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 25 2013, 11:01 PM) *

It seemed pretty balanced to me. I felt like I was in control of the car, not the car of me. It just didn't seem like I was driving smooth, but maybe that's me. With more seat time, I guess I will figure it out.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 26 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(ww914 @ Mar 26 2013, 08:33 AM) *

It seemed pretty balanced to me. I felt like I was in control of the car, not the car of me. It just didn't seem like I was driving smooth, but maybe that's me. With more seat time, I guess I will figure it out.

Its an addiction. There is no substitute for seat time.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2013, 09:02 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2013, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(ww914 @ Mar 26 2013, 08:33 AM) *

Its an addiction. There is no substitute for seat time.

+1

Have you attended any autox schools, as they're the best place to learn the basics and get lots of seat time.

Of all the students I've instructed about 5% were out of the box good drivers. And even those people were missing one or two of the critical basics.

If you're not feeling smooth it's likely you're driving the corner you're in as opposed to the next corner. Think about it...if you're looking at the next corner you'll naturally end up taking the corner you're in more smoothly. If you driving the corner you're in, then the exit on just about every corner will end up being a surprise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

In autox we don't like surprises!
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 26 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I sold the 914 I'd been modifying for 12-14 years when I retired.
It was fairly successful at AX & fun to drive. I had an MR2 turbo as a DD & figured that it might be fun to run in C Stock. Did new shocks & got me some R spec Kumhos. The Toyoda did all the things it was supposed to do.....my driving was crummy, as was the norm, BUT , it was not fun. The car was heavy, under powered, & flaccid.

No gettin' around it, I was spoiled & too old to learn to like slow. The old 914 was good enough to make me look good too.

So, take your time, learn your trade, and enjoy. When the joy stopped, so did I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Yeah, I miss it.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 26 2013, 09:45 AM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Think about the wheel lifting this way - If you lift the front tire, did the front end get loose? If not, then you had enough grip with only 1 tire on the ground.

I think that when I AX I'm trying too hard to go fast. You may go faster by working on better entry/exit lines, rather than 'going faster'. That's where I am. Trekkor's last AX school at Infineon had a tight 180 corner and I just couldn't get around it without massive understeer. I tried to force oversteer, I tried to just plow through, but at the end of the day I realized that I simply needed to go slower. I never did get to put that in practice, so next time out I'll be working on that.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 26 2013, 08:45 AM) *

Think about the wheel lifting this way - If you lift the front tire, did the front end get loose? If not, then you had enough grip with only 1 tire on the ground.

I think that when I AX I'm trying too hard to go fast. You may go faster by working on better entry/exit lines, rather than 'going faster'. That's where I am. Trekkor's last AX school at Infineon had a tight 180 corner and I just couldn't get around it without massive understeer. I tried to force oversteer, I tried to just plow through, but at the end of the day I realized that I simply needed to go slower. I never did get to put that in practice, so next time out I'll be working on that.

What you learned is that certain corners have to be given up. Look at it this way: if on a tight corner the car starts to understeer, then just start a stopwatch and stop it when the understeer stops and the car starts going the direction of the course. Whatever time is on that watch is LOST! You will never make it up.

Know when to give up a corner.

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 26 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #19

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I luv 180s. Most guys give up on em'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

There is a way to deal with em' and make up time on the 95 % "give it up" crowd.

Watch the guys that know and you'll get the idea. I learnt a few things over the years......just not enuff .....but 180s are one. The driving part is simple even tho they are all different.....with practice......one pass was enough. The corner itself is not that much quicker, but faster.....and the exit is also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). While most are grinding off their front tires, I'm gone..

The car set up part fit with my AX standard method, so it was easy also.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 26 2013, 09:42 AM) *

I luv 180s. Most guys give up on em'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

There is a way to deal with em' and make up time on the 95 % "give it up" crowd.

Watch the guys that know and you'll get the idea. I learnt a few things over the years......just not enuff .....but 180s are one. The driving part is simple even tho they are all different.....with practice......one pass was enough. The corner itself is not that much quicker, but faster.....and the exit is also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). While most are grinding off their front tires, I'm gone..

The car set up part fit with my AX standard method, so it was easy also.

OK Coach, tell us 95%ers how.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:47 PM