Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3, ADDED RECAROS
Curbandgutter
post Aug 17 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

DAKOTAEWING yes I will be using all SPI material. From the research that I've made they seem to be the HOT TICKET.

CSDILLIGAF yep I'll call you when I get ready to place the 914 in THE NEST (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) . That will be monumental.

Attached are pictures of how I located and tied the strut locations to THE NEST. Man we had to do alot of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) of the 996 frame to get these locations.

Here is the space age template for the strut towersAttached Image

Here is the space age marking of said templates Attached Image

This is what was used to cut Attached Image

Here it is in place Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 23 2016, 10:08 AM
Post #142

Well the suspension nest is complete and the 996 can be pulled off and put away.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Aug 23 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 14,397
Region Association: None

Very Cool Rudy! Looks great, You've come a long way so far. The fun part is about to begin.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 26 2016, 11:57 AM
Post #144

Well the 996 is finally off the nest and no longer needed. Big milestone for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) I'm blasting the 914 this weekend and epoxy primering it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 29 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #145

Well I started to wet blast the 914 and I ran out of sand. I've already used 2000 LBS. I think that I can get away with another 5 bags but I'll just get 10 just in case. Sand is cheap. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/RZ0oQxO59Y8
+Quote Post
pete
post Aug 29 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 29 2016, 02:26 PM) *

Well I started to wet blast the 914 and I ran out of sand. I've already used 2000 LBS. I think that I can get away with another 5 bags but I'll just get 10 just in case. Sand is cheap. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/RZ0oQxO59Y8

Hi, what set up are you using for wet blasting? I think I bought a similar set up: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/outdoor-...CFcFbhgod4vUAMA

but I am definitely not getting the same pressure you are. I'm using a Costco 2,600PSI pressure washer so its probably more like 2,000psi (maybe) and I was having a lot of trouble with clogged lines. If I kept blasting and had someone making sure the pick up tube was always in sand and the pick up hose flowing down to the nozzle then it was ok. The minute I stopped to looked at my progress the sand would clog though.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 29 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #147

I'm using the Power Eagle set up. I blew by 2000 lbs of sand and no clog ever. I would dump 300 lbs (3 bags) of sand into a 35 gal trash container. Then I covered to keep the sand dry and clean of debris. I absolutely loved the performance. It wasn't cheap though. It cost $300. However, it did not clog once and I even turned it upside down. I am using a Dewalt 4200 PIS with 4 GPM. Sand is #30 silica sand.
+Quote Post
pete
post Aug 29 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 29 2016, 03:52 PM) *

I'm using the Power Eagle set up. I blew by 2000 lbs of sand and no clog ever. I would dump 300 lbs (3 bags) of sand into a 35 gal trash container. Then I covered to keep the sand dry and clean of debris. I absolutely loved the performance. It wasn't cheap though. It cost $300. However, it did not clog once and I even turned it upside down. I am using a Dewalt 4200 PIS with 4 GPM. Sand is #30 silica sand.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I think my nozzle is basically the same. I think the bigger pressure washer is key though. I'll try renting a bigger one when I get going again. Your Build looks great! I'm going the V8 route as well.
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Aug 29 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 14,397

WOW! that Baby sure does the job.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 29 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #150

QUOTE(csdilligaf @ Aug 29 2016, 02:17 PM) *

WOW! that Baby sure does the job.

Yes I was very happy with the performance. It will probably take another 2 hours. For a total of 7 hours and 2500 lbs of sand. Let me tell you though it is the messiest job you will ever do. It's best to do in an open field or in an enclosure. Definitely not something to do in your shop or in your driveway. I'm on 2 1/2 acres with no neighbors so it worked out for me.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Sep 3 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #151

Well I finished epoxy primering the 914. The next step will be to mount onto the chassis table, take some twist measurements and start building the tube chassis. I will be replacing the entire floor. It's just too banged up and rusty to mess with. I will also be removing almost the entire rear half. The entire rear half will be in steel tube and rear half of the body will be bolted to the tube chassis. Found 4 rust areas that I will need to repair. That can wait as they are not in the way of the tube chassis.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Sep 10 2016, 06:33 PM
Post #152

Well CSDilligaf came over today and we did the twist testing on the 914. The final numbers are in! The 996 C4 Cabriolet has stiffness of 4,568 '#/Degree. The 914 has a stiffness of 3,326 '#/Degree. So the 996 C4 Cabriolet is 37% stiffer in torsion than the 914. Makes sense, since you'd think that the newer Porsche should be stiffer than the 914, which was built with technology of the 60's. The next step is to place the 914 on the suspension nest and start building the tube frame. I was thinking of stiffening the longs with the Engmann kit, but I'm steering away from that. I will be stiffening the "longs" with a truss system built inside of the longs. That will be the first order of work. I will twist test again at that point and see what improvement we get.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 10 2016, 08:01 PM
Post #153

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Why not give Engman a call and see if they will give you a kit to test with? I know if I was the manufacturer I would want to know what it did. Im sure he would give you a kit for free.... Most of us run the Engman kit and I for one am curious what real world difference it makes.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 10 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #154

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 10 2016, 07:01 PM) *

Why not give Engman a call and see if they will give you a kit to test with? I know if I was the manufacturer I would want to know what it did. Im sure he would give you a kit for free.... Most of us run the Engman kit and I for one am curious what real world difference it makes.

Engman passed away... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Sep 11 2016, 03:15 PM
Post #155

Wow that is sad to hear that Engman passed away. My condolences to his family.

As far as trying to see how well the Engman works (inside reinforcing) or Mayeur (outside reinforcing), bring your car over and we will twist it. Have to wait until I'm done with my car though. I'm in Murrieta Ca. It's about 1 hour north of San Diego and about 1:15 hours South of Los Angeles. PM me and we can discuss.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Sep 12 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #156

Steel for chassis is coming in tomorrow. Going to build 6 turnbuckle braces to square up driver compartment before I get started. Should have nest in place this week as well. Let the chassis building begin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Sep 16 2016, 07:50 AM
Post #157

Well..........this officially marks the point of no return. Up to this point the 914 could have easily been turned into a restored stock......but now the fork in the road has been reached and I'm taking the "road less traveled". Started to cut up the engine and transmission well. Planning on installing nest tomorrow and will start with "upgrading" the longs first. I couldn't believe how much sand was in the longs. The left long had about a large coffee can of sand in it. I don't know where it could come from since the left did not have any corrosion. On the other hand the right long, the one with the hell hole, that one only had about a up of sand in it? You would expect it to be the other way around. Also, the left long had some fibrous cotton like material inside of it? Anybody have an idea what this is?

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Sep 16 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #158

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

So,it's true then,all 914s rust from the inside out,as well as outside in!
They get it from all sides,every direction.
The material found inside is the stuff that absorbs the moisture,inflicting it on the unprotected steel.
The horror.

That cutting and chopping with the plasma is what I've had in mind for the minor stretch,to accommodate the longer engines.
This is getting interesting.Kudos.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

/
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Sep 16 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #159

Thanks veekry9. After seeing the "surface" rust inside of the longs......I would encourage everyone to stick some of the Eastwood internal frame coating inside. These things rust from the inside out as well as the outside in.
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 16 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #160

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Sep 16 2016, 07:18 AM) *

So,it's true then,all 914s rust from the inside out,as well as outside in!
They get it from all sides,every direction.
The material found inside is the stuff that absorbs the moisture,inflicting it on the unprotected steel.
The horror.

That cutting and chopping with the plasma is what I've had in mind for the minor stretch,to accommodate the longer engines.
This is getting interesting.Kudos.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

/

The 914 chassis (body) is full of strategically placed weep holes; as such, I suspect moisture and small debris enter through them and start the corrosion process...over many years, of course.

Andys
+Quote Post

40 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:57 PM