Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3, ADDED RECAROS
Curbandgutter
post Aug 5 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 5 2014, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 4 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Well it has been a while but I have been collecting "stuff" so that I can start and not have to stop too often. I purchased a 2000 996 C4 that was involved in a fire. I am able to use the full suspension, Brembo big reds, jic coil overs, radiators, ac condensors, power steering, power brakes, transmission, axles, pedal assembly.

Whats your plan on using the transaxle in mid engine conversion. I don't think you can rotate the 996 transaxle to run in a inverted posistion. Is the ring gear reverseable like in the 930 boxes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

You can invert the 996 gearbox. Verified with GBOX. Only thing is that I think that I will need to add taller ring and pinion. If I use a 325/30 19 tire with stock rear it will cruise 70 MPH at 2550 rpm. If I use the 3:1 rear end, then it will cruise 70 MPH at 2200 rpm. I'm getting a quote to do the taller rear and LSD. Let's see what it ends up at.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 7 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #42

It's been a while......life happens. I'm back on track and started to build the rotisserie. I'll finish this weekend and then I'm going to media blast. Enjoy the pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 7 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #43

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

How'd I miss this? Belated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Jun 8 2016, 06:21 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

Can't wait to see more.

Dave
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 14 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #45

Well here is the rotisserie that I made. I took the best ideas from all of the different ones and made my own. I am satisfied with the way the rotisserie came out. I'm now waiting for my wet sandblasting kit from Power Eagle. They are on back order and will be available at end of June. For now I will just pick up the recycled glass and wait.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 16 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 7 2016, 07:44 PM) *

How'd I miss this? Belated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Thanks.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 16 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #47

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Looking forward to this. Damn nice rotisserie. John Deere green from Tractor Supply? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 17 2016, 09:15 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 16 2016, 05:55 PM) *

Looking forward to this. Damn nice rotisserie. John Deere green from Tractor Supply? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Thanks for the comment. The color is actually Rust O'Leum Hunter Green from the Home Depot on Maddison, in Murrieta. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 17 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #49

Well since I have to wait until my sand blast kit shows up, I'm taking the front and rear suspension off the 996 to mock up on the 914. Looks like the front will be easy. The rear will require a tube frame. That's OK though since I am planning to tube the rear. I'm planning to pressure wash the suspension this weekend and mock it up on the rotisserie with the car upside down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
87m491
post Jun 17 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

Wow, a ton of adjustment (and adjusters!) on those coil overs.

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Jun 17 2016, 07:46 AM) *

Well since I have to wait until my sand blast kit shows up, I'm taking the front and rear suspension off the 996 to mock up on the 914. Looks like the front will be easy. The rear will require a tube frame. That's OK though since I am planning to tube the rear. I'm planning to pressure wash the suspension this weekend and mock it up on the rotisserie with the car upside down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 17 2016, 10:14 AM
Post #51

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

Im not sure which body kit you are looking for but this guy might have a NOS setup for you. He's in Fresno

QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 1 2016, 07:35 PM) *

There is an older body kit still in the box, I don't plan on using it and I'm not sure he was either. I have spare parts as well including doors, quarter panels, seats, etc.

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 17 2016, 10:34 AM
Post #52

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Neat project.

For mounting the suspension, what are you using for a datum or reference plane to make sure the a-arms are not tilted too far forward or back? Any part of the suspension that is supposed to be parallel with the floor pan?
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 17 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 17 2016, 09:14 AM) *

Im not sure which body kit you are looking for but this guy might have a NOS setup for you. He's in Fresno

QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 1 2016, 07:35 PM) *

There is an older body kit still in the box, I don't plan on using it and I'm not sure he was either. I have spare parts as well including doors, quarter panels, seats, etc.

I've really thought it through and finally came to the conclusion that a modified 916 look is what I will do. I will extend the 916 flares enough to cover the 245/18 front tires and 335/18 rear tires. I have thought it through though as I want to stuff the wide tires but I don't want a ridiculous bulge at each corner. I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to accomplish this though. Also the 996 suspension will make this car to have a 5" wider track in the front and a 4.8" wider track in the rear. It's interesting that the wheelbase of the 914 is 4" longer than the 911?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 17 2016, 10:42 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 17 2016, 09:34 AM) *

Neat project.

For mounting the suspension, what are you using for a datum or reference plane to make sure the a-arms are not tilted too far forward or back? Any part of the suspension that is supposed to be parallel with the floor pan?
I will be building a chassis table. Also I have the 996 on hand to compare the measurements. I will be putting all of the measurements into software that will tell me what the instantaneous roll center (IRC) of the 996 is. Then I can make sure that I am not lowering the IRC. If anything I might set the suspension cradle of the 996 further up into the 914 chassis to lower my CG. When I place the 914 on the chassis table I will carry out a twist test to see what the torsional stiffness of the 914 is before I add the 8 point roll cage. I have structural software to design the roll cage as well.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 17 2016, 10:57 AM
Post #55

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Jun 17 2016, 09:35 AM) *

I've really thought it through and finally came to the conclusion that a modified 916 look is what I will do. I will extend the 916 flares enough to cover the 245/18 front tires and 335/18 rear tires. I have thought it through though as I want to stuff the wide tires but I don't want a ridiculous bulge at each corner. I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to accomplish this though. Also the 996 suspension will make this car to have a 5" wider track in the front and a 4.8" wider track in the rear. It's interesting that the wheelbase of the 914 is 4" longer than the 911?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

whats the smallest wheel that you need to clear the brakes? I would aim for that size. 18s are way too big for a 914. 17 would probably look good with that wide body and still fit over the brakes
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 17 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 17 2016, 09:57 AM) *

whats the smallest wheel that you need to clear the brakes? I would aim for that size. 18s are way too big for a 914. 17 would probably look good with that wide body and still fit over the brakes
Is it your opinion that it is too big because of your preference or that the wheel is too big and won't fit. If it's just your preference I can respect that. However if you're saying that the wheel is too big then ponder on this. The original 914 wheel rolling diameter for a 914 is 25.4" the 335/30-18 rolling diameter is 25.9"??? Also as they say a picture is worth a thousand words see the attached picture which shows a stock 914 wheel next to a 265/35-18. As you can see that tire is shorter (it is under inflated), however it's rolling diameter calcs out at 25.3 in. Am I missing something?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 17 2016, 02:05 PM
Post #57

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Damn Bubba, your in my backyard. PM me your address. I'll send you mine. I'd love to "visit" your project while I await my engine seal kit. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 17 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 17 2016, 01:05 PM) *

Damn Bubba, your in my backyard. PM me your address. I'll send you mine. I'd love to "visit" your project while I await my engine seal kit. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
PM sent
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 17 2016, 03:14 PM
Post #59

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Jun 17 2016, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 17 2016, 09:57 AM) *

Is it your opinion that it is too big because of your preference or that the wheel is too big and won't fit. If it's just your preference I can respect that. However if you're saying that the wheel is too big then ponder on this. The original 914 wheel rolling diameter for a 914 is 25.4" the 335/30-18 rolling diameter is 25.9"??? Also as they say a picture is worth a thousand words see the attached picture which shows a stock 914 wheel next to a 265/35-18. As you can see that tire is shorter (it is under inflated), however it's rolling diameter calcs out at 25.3 in. Am I missing something?

Thats a preference thing for sure.

I run 18's rear and think it looks great. I personally prefer 17's in the front though as to have a little better ride quality.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jun 17 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #60

And here is the front suspension. I'll be power washing it Saturday morning and then mocking it up on the 914.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

40 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:44 PM