Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie Tips & Tricks, Engine Sealants & Stuff I don't know...
d7n7master
post Nov 23 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Gary#

Group: Members
Member No.: 421

Hi All,
I (think) I'm finally ready for the finishing touches. Assembling oil cooler, oil filter base, etc.
What types of sealers do you recommend / for what applications??? I'm especially curious about should I / shouldn't I use a permatex type sealer on the oil cooler seals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) oil'em?
Heat exchangers??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Who uses what sealants???
Thanks -
Gary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 23 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Metal to metal, Permatex "Ultra Blue". Readily available, works well applied in a VERY thin coat with your fingertip. Yamabond, Kuril C, Kuril K, Hylomar, Permatex Hi Tack, and Gasgacinch are some others that work well. Loctite 571 if the surfaces are near-perfect. NOT regular RTV! No sealant whatsoever rubber to metal. EVER!. Oil the pushrod tube seals. I sometimes rub ultrablue into paper gaskets if the surfaces aren't real nice. Might want to flat file dress the case halves to remove any burrs. VERY carefully, supporting the file with as much metal surface as possible at all times. A lot of prep time results in fewer leaks ................ HTH, The Cap'n
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Nov 23 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

So...I used a very small amount of Permatex when I installed the oil cooler seals to help keep them in place], this will be a problem?

Newdeal2
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Nov 23 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #4

Gary#

Member No.: 421

Thanks Cap'n - I was close to applying a bit of ultrablue or black hi-temp to both sides of the oil cooler seals - assemble - wait 24hrs... I hate leaks. So what's up - does sealant breakdown rubber??? Whyz it not a good idea?
Thanks again. I did I mention that I hate oil leaks. Can't effin' park anywhere where you can be recognized. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:55 PM