Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Tips & Tricks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
I (think) I'm finally ready for the finishing touches. Assembling oil cooler, oil filter base, etc.
What types of sealers do you recommend / for what applications??? I'm especially curious about should I / shouldn't I use a permatex type sealer on the oil cooler seals. sad.gif biggrin.gif oil'em?
Heat exchangers??? blink.gif Who uses what sealants???
Thanks -
Gary beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Metal to metal, Permatex "Ultra Blue". Readily available, works well applied in a VERY thin coat with your fingertip. Yamabond, Kuril C, Kuril K, Hylomar, Permatex Hi Tack, and Gasgacinch are some others that work well. Loctite 571 if the surfaces are near-perfect. NOT regular RTV! No sealant whatsoever rubber to metal. EVER!. Oil the pushrod tube seals. I sometimes rub ultrablue into paper gaskets if the surfaces aren't real nice. Might want to flat file dress the case halves to remove any burrs. VERY carefully, supporting the file with as much metal surface as possible at all times. A lot of prep time results in fewer leaks ................ HTH, The Cap'n
newdeal2
So...I used a very small amount of Permatex when I installed the oil cooler seals to help keep them in place], this will be a problem?

Newdeal2
d7n7master
Thanks Cap'n - I was close to applying a bit of ultrablue or black hi-temp to both sides of the oil cooler seals - assemble - wait 24hrs... I hate leaks. So what's up - does sealant breakdown rubber??? Whyz it not a good idea?
Thanks again. I did I mention that I hate oil leaks. Can't effin' park anywhere where you can be recognized. agree.gif pissoff.gif agree.gif pissoff.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.