Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Vellios Tank Nightmare, just sharing my experience
ChrisFoley
post May 20 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #1

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

So, I 've been working on this -6 conversion for a customer for about a year now, and it's nearly complete. It turned into a ground up restoration along the way, as well.
The engine was shipped directly to me from Motormeister, along with the tank and other conversion items.
A problem with the tank became obvious while I was adding oil for the first time By the third quart it was leaking out as fast as I put it in. After removal I found that the threads in the tank for the filter adapter were cockeyed, and the filter gasket didn't seat. In fact there was a gap of at least 1/8" on one side.
The tank was sent to Vellios, and subsequently returned to me. What was done to repair the problem? A tap was run into the hole at the correct angle creating two sets of threads. The fitting went in very sloppy. It just wasn't right.
At the customer's request I again shipped the tank to Vellios with a note explaining the situation, and stating that the owner would contact him soon. Unfortunately the phone # seems to be unavailable, so we currently have no idea whether the problem will be resolved.
In the meantime my customer purchased another Vellios tank from Pelican. It was immediately apparent to me that this tank also suffered from a similar problem as the first. The threads were nearly straight in, not too bad, but the surface of the tank there was not flat (left unmachined). The fitting cocked when fully screwed in, and caused the filter to not seat properly.
I carefully plugged the holes (to prevent metal chips from entering the tank) and aligned the tank on my milling machine and cut the surface where the fitting bottoms out, so it will still be straight after tightening. After verifying the fit of the filter I installed the tank in the car and filled it with 9 quarts of oil. This was Friday. On Monday I went out to find at least 2 ounces of oil on the floor directly under the tank.
The oil is coming from more than one location and running down to the bottom, and as near as I can tell it is not from any fitting or seal. The tank itself is leaking. One drip comes from the welded seam of the tank, and others are weeping out of the side wall of the tank. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I can see this without removing the tank because of the flares on the car.
I guess I have to drain, remove and clean the tank again. It will be pressure tested and welded where it leaks, then pressure tested again. Hopefully this will be the last major issue and I can start the engine soon.

ps. Anyone with Vellios' phone # please let me know.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:09 PM