Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vellios Tank Nightmare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
So, I 've been working on this -6 conversion for a customer for about a year now, and it's nearly complete. It turned into a ground up restoration along the way, as well.
The engine was shipped directly to me from Motormeister, along with the tank and other conversion items.
A problem with the tank became obvious while I was adding oil for the first time By the third quart it was leaking out as fast as I put it in. After removal I found that the threads in the tank for the filter adapter were cockeyed, and the filter gasket didn't seat. In fact there was a gap of at least 1/8" on one side.
The tank was sent to Vellios, and subsequently returned to me. What was done to repair the problem? A tap was run into the hole at the correct angle creating two sets of threads. The fitting went in very sloppy. It just wasn't right.
At the customer's request I again shipped the tank to Vellios with a note explaining the situation, and stating that the owner would contact him soon. Unfortunately the phone # seems to be unavailable, so we currently have no idea whether the problem will be resolved.
In the meantime my customer purchased another Vellios tank from Pelican. It was immediately apparent to me that this tank also suffered from a similar problem as the first. The threads were nearly straight in, not too bad, but the surface of the tank there was not flat (left unmachined). The fitting cocked when fully screwed in, and caused the filter to not seat properly.
I carefully plugged the holes (to prevent metal chips from entering the tank) and aligned the tank on my milling machine and cut the surface where the fitting bottoms out, so it will still be straight after tightening. After verifying the fit of the filter I installed the tank in the car and filled it with 9 quarts of oil. This was Friday. On Monday I went out to find at least 2 ounces of oil on the floor directly under the tank.
The oil is coming from more than one location and running down to the bottom, and as near as I can tell it is not from any fitting or seal. The tank itself is leaking. One drip comes from the welded seam of the tank, and others are weeping out of the side wall of the tank. ohmy.gif I can see this without removing the tank because of the flares on the car.
I guess I have to drain, remove and clean the tank again. It will be pressure tested and welded where it leaks, then pressure tested again. Hopefully this will be the last major issue and I can start the engine soon.

ps. Anyone with Vellios' phone # please let me know.
Jeroen
Here you are... (taken straight from his website at www.vellios.com)

George Vellios Co.
37243 Del Mar St
Palmdale, Ca 93552

Phone: 661-285-5853
Fax: 661-285-5883

email: info@vellios.com

HTH,
cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
I never yet figured out why anyone would buy a repro tank when the factory ones are still available.

This is clearly not an item to "skimp" on.
Jeroen
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 20 2003, 07:02 PM)
I never yet figured out why anyone would buy a repro tank when the factory ones are still available.

I'd agree with that... (unless the Vellios tank has better features than the stock tank that I dunno about)

Also, why did you even bother to mess with a faulty new part?

Can you keep us posted on how this continues?

cheers,

Jeroen
si2t3m
Because the vellios tank is made of aluminium and will never rust?

That was the only reason i bought mine.

Lucky, for me, everything fitted fine. Well except for the filler neck that i had to butcher up a bit...

Marc-André
Brad Roberts
They are pieces of shit... I'm sure they can be made to work... but why ?? To save money over a factory part ?? Our tanks are copper based.. they do corrode (30+ years... I'm personally corroading after that long)

I wont do a conversion that uses a Vellios tank. I have used one.. and vowed not to do it again.

Matter of fact.. I have yet to buy anything from him that actually worked. The 915 kit has to be machined..

Oh.. I take that back..his 911 rear wheel bearing conversion worked pretty good.

B
seanery
Even if one thought he wanted a velios tank, I would think after the bad build quality and poor repair of the first one that one would learn their lesson and pop for a factory part. I saw a couple used ones this weekend and would probably even use one of those versus someone else's design.

Consider this a learning experience.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike D.
Well this sucks...I too have Vellios oil tank that is dripping oil. Mine however, only drips while the engine is running.

-Mike D.
seanery
What's the draw to these $$?
Brad Roberts
Yep.. MikeD.. that was the last one I installed.

Dont worry to much about it.. the stock oil lines from the stock tank tend leak right at the union. I have NO idea why.. I think a manufacturing tolerance is off.

B
nine14cats
I have a tank from Patrick Motorsports...is this a Vellios tank?

Thanks,

Bill P.

No leaks yet..... smile.gif
meursault
On a previous conversion, I used a tank from Patrick Motorsports, which I believe is in fact a Velios tank. I had oil leaks, but I mainly attributed that to a tired pig of an engine and improperly built Aeroquip lines. I wrecked the car before I could sort it all out.

The main reason why I chose the Velios-style tank was because I was planning on using AN fittings. Now I am using a factory tank partly because I'm afraid of it rusting and becoming otherwise unuseable due to shelf storage. (I heard of people cleaning these tanks up, letting them sit for a while in the garage, and then finding them full of rust flakes when they went to use them). I left my used tank dirty and oily when I stored it, but still.

I am now faced with the unavailability of the hard oil line in the factory setup. While I would like to do this all up factory-style, I was wondering what people did with their factory tanks in their conversions. Did you go all metric? How? Or were you able to find adapter fittings to use Aeroquip lines? Or did you weld new fittings to the tank? Please, do tell.
Brad Roberts
Bill,

You have a Vellios tank.. Patrick has George (Vellios) make them up without the Vellios name on them.

Pegasus sells metric to AN adapters. I havent bought any in a few months.. but they normally stock them. The catalog actually lists them as "Porsche oil line adapters".

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. I have asked George several times to REMOVE the pic of my tube car from his website and his catalog. He used a pic of my tube car on the covers. Nothing on the car is from George.

B
meursault
Found the adapters at Pegasus! Alright! You're the man, Brad. I searced around for this type of thing months ago and could only find smaller adapters. Now I have new options. Thanks!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 20 2003, 08:44 AM)
Here you are... (taken straight from his website at www.vellios.com)

HTH,
cheers,

Jeroen

Thanks for that, Jeroen! I'll forward the info to the owner.

I think the main reason for sticking with the Vellios tank at this point is the oil line situation, since the lines we already have are incompatible with the factory tank, (although the Pegasus adapter fittings might resolve that issue).

The owner got Roy at Motormeister to agree to take the tank back, unfortunately, after I shipped it to Vellios.

I have another issue, with the filler neck. The 1" side outlet tube for a breather hose is aimed right at the funnel for the rain tray. Have you guys dealt with this?
Brad Roberts
...we cant run rain tray's with the stock 6 air cleaner or the PMO water shields... so .. we have No issues with it.. LOL

B
ChrisFoley
So, didn't the factory sixes use the rain tray, or what?
JWest
Factory sixes did not use a rain tray.
ChrisFoley
You learn somethin every day! smile.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 20 2003, 03:08 PM)
...we cant run rain tray's with the stock 6 air cleaner or the PMO water shields... so .. we have No issues with it.. LOL

B

I would have discovered this myself if I had kept my mouth shut for another week or so, lol. rolleyes.gif (I just pulled it out of the box and checked)

So there's no concern regarding all that water in the engine comp? or are 914-6's supposed to stay home on rainy days?
scotty
So there's no concern regarding all that water in the engine comp? or are 914-6's supposed to stay home on rainy days?

Except for the usual rust issues... no problem: that's what's the watershields are for on the PMO's.

I bought my tank along with a 914/6 kit way back when (1994 -- young, poor, and just beginning to lust after a six. Kit included oil tank, oil lines, filter, dipstick, motor mount)... it works fine so far (like Marc-André's) . Initially, the oil tank fittings leaked, but some of that was probably because I was afraid of overtightening them. Pulling the tank, retightening things and using thread sealent has stopped all the leaks
914Timo
Oh.. I take that back..his 911 rear wheel bearing conversion worked pretty good.

Rear wheel bearing conversion ??? Why ?? What for ?? Could somebody explain what it is ?? wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.