Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Main Shaft Seal, I went too far
newdeal2
post Nov 25 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Using this method :

use something blunt, like a (small) wratchet extension and hammer away in one spot (very close to the shaft). the seal will move in on that side and tilt (the other side will come out), then grab it either with plyers or use a screwdriver to pry it out.

I managed to work the seal too far and it popped in to the other side. I can still reach it but need some good methods for retreiving it without causing damage.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Nov 25 2004, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

Well....I am able to get to the seal by removing the diff cover. The O ring is barely visible on the Diff cover . Can one use a case sealer in that area with the old ring in place?
+Quote Post
machina
post Nov 25 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

I lost the circular spring inside on my mainshaft. Used a hooked shaped pointer tool to fish it out. Just make some kind of stiff wire hook tool, if the tranny is drained, tip it down so it slides closer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Nov 25 2004, 10:29 AM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

I did the same thing. Had a spare trans so I left the one containing the seal for another day. In the meantime I asked one of the pros at the local P car shop (factory trained, ex dealer tech) what to do.
He said just leave it there. Won't hurt a thing. Claims guys at the dealership often did it that way on purpose.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 25 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(newdeal2 @ Nov 25 2004, 07:54 AM)
I managed to work the seal too far and it popped in to the other side. I can still reach it but need some good methods for retreiving it without causing damage.

just leave it in there and put the new one on.
*DONT* try to take it apart, it contains metal parts and you don't want the shavings in your tranny.

just let it sit on the shaft, it won't hurt anything ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Nov 25 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

I already removed the Diff case cover before I read the last post. I ended up protecting the area with shop towels and carefully cut the old seal with a dremel tool and avoided any shavings getting loose. Then I used compressed air and cleaned everything up.

I am not sure leaving the seal in there is a good idea. It gets right up against the diff gear and I can just see the problems that will cause down the road. A lot less risky than a couple of micro shavings/dust.

I did use some aircraft case sealer when I re installed the diff cover and hope it will work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:14 PM