Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Main Shaft Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
Using this method :

use something blunt, like a (small) wratchet extension and hammer away in one spot (very close to the shaft). the seal will move in on that side and tilt (the other side will come out), then grab it either with plyers or use a screwdriver to pry it out.

I managed to work the seal too far and it popped in to the other side. I can still reach it but need some good methods for retreiving it without causing damage.

sad.gif
newdeal2
Well....I am able to get to the seal by removing the diff cover. The O ring is barely visible on the Diff cover . Can one use a case sealer in that area with the old ring in place?
machina
I lost the circular spring inside on my mainshaft. Used a hooked shaped pointer tool to fish it out. Just make some kind of stiff wire hook tool, if the tranny is drained, tip it down so it slides closer.
Porsche Rescue
I did the same thing. Had a spare trans so I left the one containing the seal for another day. In the meantime I asked one of the pros at the local P car shop (factory trained, ex dealer tech) what to do.
He said just leave it there. Won't hurt a thing. Claims guys at the dealership often did it that way on purpose.
SirAndy
QUOTE(newdeal2 @ Nov 25 2004, 07:54 AM)
I managed to work the seal too far and it popped in to the other side. I can still reach it but need some good methods for retreiving it without causing damage.

just leave it in there and put the new one on.
*DONT* try to take it apart, it contains metal parts and you don't want the shavings in your tranny.

just let it sit on the shaft, it won't hurt anything ...
cool.gif Andy
newdeal2
I already removed the Diff case cover before I read the last post. I ended up protecting the area with shop towels and carefully cut the old seal with a dremel tool and avoided any shavings getting loose. Then I used compressed air and cleaned everything up.

I am not sure leaving the seal in there is a good idea. It gets right up against the diff gear and I can just see the problems that will cause down the road. A lot less risky than a couple of micro shavings/dust.

I did use some aircraft case sealer when I re installed the diff cover and hope it will work idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.